Thread: USM GAME 2 - GAME THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    **** you and **** his sorry ass too. I'm glad he figured things out as a 24 year old.
    Nobody is saying he didn't improve since we kicked him out, but to say the previous year's leading hitter (who finished the year 20 of 40, mind you), isn't one of the best 35 players you have is insane. We kept plural guys that never hit within .050 points of him, and never had as high of a ceiling either. Why not keep a proven hitter an extra year? Hell I'd rather have a + hitting infielder to sub in late if we're down, than a + running pinch runner that can't do anything else.

It doesn't matter what he did or didn't "figure out" since we kicked him out- he batted over .300 the year before, so had already proven he was worth keeping even if he had flaws. Just admit Cohen ****ed up- it seems like you always pump up everything related to the program and refuse to admit our flaws

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Nobody is saying he didn't improve since we kicked him out, but to say the previous year's leading hitter (who finished the year 20 of 40, mind you), isn't one of the best 35 players you have is insane. We kept plural guys that never hit within .050 points of him, and never had as high of a ceiling either. Why not keep a proven hitter an extra year? Hell I'd rather have a + hitting infielder to sub in late if we're down, than a + running pinch runner that can't do anything else.

It doesn't matter what he did or didn't "figure out" since we kicked him out- he batted over .300 the year before, so had already proven he was worth keeping even if he had flaws. Just admit Cohen ****ed up- it seems like you always pump up everything related to the program and refuse to admit our flaws
    Well, maybe because there is a 35 man limit. If that wasn't in place, we're not having this discussion.

But AGAIN- here's the guys that MADE the team where he could have played:

1B- Nate Lowe. Plays for the Rays and a good hitter.
    3B- Gavin Collins. Hit close to 10 home runs and is playing for the Indians now.
    OF- Robson- One of the Tigers top 40 prospects.
    OF- Mangum- Came out of nowhere and a top 100 draft prospect this year.
    OF- Reid Humphreys- I guess you could platoon them except for the fact we needed Reid to close and if you take Reid out then you can't use him to pitch. Also hit better and drafted by the Rockies.
    OF- Brent Rooker- First round pick. Had to get him in the lineup.
    OF- Cody Brown- "But we could have used a LH bat"- that's what Cody Brown WAS for that team. And he brought a lot more to the table than Luke Reynolds at that time. Also plays with the Yankees now.
    OF- Mike Smith- OK, maaayyybee. But since we already had a LH pinch hitter with some power it makes more sense to have someone that can defend and run and had a similar slugging percentage. He was also a senior without any options and cutting him would have been pretty shitty.

So, where does Luke Reynolds fit in the lineup? If Cohen ****ed up- then the other two coaches that went on to become SEC head coaches ****ed up too. And then when given the opportunity to take this all world player on their rebuilding SEC team- they PASSED again. What's more ****ed up is the 35 man limit. But it is what it is.

I'm actually not surprised that he has done well against us. I've seen it before- guy get cut, plays over his head to prove a point and then doesn't do much after that. Then our fans act like the guy is all world.

But yeah- all of you are right. Cutting Reynolds cost us the SEC....oh wait.....SR....OK last year it cost us that SR....

And as far as me "seeming like I pump everything up"- well you missed some of my posts yesterday. But that's cool- I tend to be positive in general.

vCash
    Well, maybe because there is a 35 man limit. If that wasn't in place, we're not having this discussion.

3B- Gavin Collins. Hit close to 10 home runs and is playing for the Indians now.
    OF- Reid Humphreys- I guess you could platoon them except for the fact we needed Reid to close and if you take Reid out then you can't use him to pitch. Also hit better and drafted by the Rockies.
    OF- Cody Brown- "But we could have used a LH bat"- that's what Cody Brown WAS for that team. And he brought a lot more to the table than Luke Reynolds at that time. Also plays with the Yankees now.
    OF- Mike Smith- OK, maaayyybee. But since we already had a LH pinch hitter with some power it makes more sense to have someone that can defend and run and had a similar slugging percentage. He was also a senior without any options and cutting him would have been pretty shitty.

So, where does Luke Reynolds fit in the lineup? If Cohen ****ed up- then the other two coaches that went on to become SEC head coaches ****ed up too. And then when given the opportunity to take this all world player on their rebuilding SEC team- they PASSED again. What's more ****ed up is the 35 man limit. But it is what it is.

I'm actually not surprised that he has done well against us. I've seen it before- guy get cut, plays over his head to prove a point and then doesn't do much after that. Then our fans act like the guy is all world.

But yeah- all of you are right. Cutting Reynolds cost us the SEC....oh wait.....SR....OK last year it cost us that SR....

And as far as me "seeming like I pump everything up"- well you missed some of my posts yesterday. But that's cool- I tend to be positive in general.
    Todd, not following. Yes, he should have started over Smith, but regardless, I don't see why he had to start just to make the 35 man roster. You only listed 8 starters in the field. I would think there were a number of bench players he also should have been kept over. Bottom line is most of us thought it was a mistake to cut him VERY late in 2015 and it looks like even more of a mistake now. As I said earlier, to not bring back your top hitter from the year before is almost unheard of. Most of us certainly respect your opinions when it comes to baseball but I don't really think the cutting of Reynolds is an issue worth falling on your sword over even if you think it was a justified move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Todd, not following. Yes, he should have started over Smith, but regardless, I don't see why he had to start just to make the 35 man roster. You only listed 8 starters in the field. I would think there were a number of bench players he also should have been kept over. Bottom line is most of us thought it was a mistake to cut him VERY late in 2015 and it looks like even more of a mistake now. As I said earlier, to not bring back your top hitter from the year before is almost unheard of. Most of us certainly respect your opinions when it comes to baseball but I don't really think the cutting of Reynolds is an issue worth falling on your sword over even if you think it was a justified move.
    I did list only 8 players because those were the ones where he was MOST affected. The other 35 guys are pitchers, catchers, etc. With freshmen if they are on scholarship as signees- they HAVE TO be on the 35 man roster even if they redshirt. That takes up spots too. With roster management in college baseball it does get complicated. But what we're talking about right now is why a lot of coaches want it to change. It is complicated and good players do get cut sometimes.

And hey- I respect others opinions too. And you know my position on it. It's not the same as others and that's OK. At the very least I hope people at least see maybe what went into the thought process whether they agree with it or not. I'm very willing to lose "credibility" if I don't think something is right and others don't agree with it.

But to me when I look at it and it comes down to Smith and Reynolds- one is a senior who if you cut him he has no options and his career is over plus maybe he brings some other skills to the team and the other guy well, yeah he led your team in hitting but he's a sophomore and at that point he's only hitting for average plus he struggled in the fall at the plate and if you cut him he has the redshirt option and he also has the option to transfer somewhere else and he maybe he can improve somewhere else but my hope as the coach is that maybe he understands that he needs to work on his game and it motivates him to come out the next year and he's a much better player for it and we're a better team for it.

vCash

You forgot Trent Waddell. But yes he would've helped the last two years, but you're too blind by it. Maybe read more, post less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    You forgot Trent Waddell. But yes he would've helped the last two years, but you're too blind by it. Maybe read more, post less.
    You're right- Luke Reynolds is better than Trent Waddell. Maybe that's why Cohen cut Waddell from the 35 man roster that year too dumbass.