Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SIAP - Forrest Hill Band

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    This was the first time they had done that part. It had to be specifically planned.
    Do you have a source on that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post
    What I read was the theme was from the movie John Q, but why have that as a theme? Most of these students probably weren't born when that movie came out and it's not like it's a classic movie.
    Don't think for a second that this movie wasn't picked because of the shooting of "authority" or law enforcement. Heads should roll but when it comes to JPS there is no telling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Wow, you really need to work on reading comprehension. I've said all over this thread that this should have been edited out of their show last night due to the events in Brookhaven.
    Why should they EVER be allowed to perform where they're acting out the shooting of law enforcement????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Why should they EVER be allowed to perform where they're acting out the shooting of law enforcement????
    There is no shooting of law enforcement in the marching band show or the film John Q -- in the movie, the gun was unloaded. You may think I'm splitting hairs, but I think that's a pretty key difference. It's why the protagonist of the movie is portrayed as heroic and not a cold-blooded killer.

As I previously said, no one would have given this show a second thought if they hadn't stupidly decided to do it in Brookhaven in the aftermath of a police shooting.

vCash
    Do you have a source on that?
    It was in one if the Mississippi media articles I saw this morning. Not sure which one.

vCash
    Statement from JPS. Just a big misunderstanding, as I suspected. An inexcusable one, but one from stupidity and insensitivity, not malice. The marching band show had a theme from a popular (though old) movie and acted out scenes from it, which included police being held hostage (but not shot). The tragedy in Brookhaven was not even considered in the design and performance of the show. (And before yall melt down again, remember that I've repeatedly stated that the director was in the wrong for not considering it.)

vCash
    Statement from JPS. Just a big misunderstanding, as I suspected. An inexcusable one, but one from stupidity and insensitivity, not malice. The marching band show had a theme from a popular (though old) movie and acted out scenes from it, which included police being held hostage (but not shot). The tragedy in Brookhaven was not even considered in the design and performance of the show. (And before yall melt down again, remember that I've repeatedly stated that the director was in the wrong for not considering it.)

It not appropriate even if it wasn't in Brookhaven this week. If it had been going in all year in a way it's even worse. Heads need to roll.

vCash

Regardless of what happened in Brookhaven, why would a band be doing such a halftime show anyway?

vCash
    There is no shooting of law enforcement in the marching band show or the film John Q -- in the movie, the gun was unloaded. You may think I'm splitting hairs, but I think that's a pretty key difference. It's why the protagonist of the movie is portrayed as heroic and not a cold-blooded killer.

As I previously said, no one would have given this show a second thought if they hadn't stupidly decided to do it in Brookhaven in the aftermath of a police shooting.
    With school shooting issues and law enforcement/public safety departments trying to find ways to educate and develop safety protocols, in what world would bringing simulated automatic weapons be a reasonable idea? Fake loaded or not? Pretty reckless and dangerous idea, nevermind the insensitive nature of the theme. What if one of those students used a real loaded weapon and opened fire? In today’s world it has to be an automatic suspension for the students and firing for the band director.

vCash

No malice from the STUDENTS is what the mayor stated but the above statement doesn’t say it was a misunderstanding nor has anyone stated that this was being done all year. It may have been but you would think THAT would have been a part of all of these statements immediately. No way would I have made a public statement and not make clear that this was already a part of the program and should have been removed (shouldn’t have been allowed to begin with because of the subject matter and school safety policy....ridiculous)

vCash
    Since it was from a movie, could an all white marching band burn crosses and wear klan outfits like we have seen in movies? Especially when being the visiting team at a predominately black school. Of course not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Since it was from a movie, could an all white marching band burn crosses and wear klan outfits like we have seen in movies? Especially when being the visiting team at a predominately black school. Of course not.
    Is that something you're dying to see?*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Is that something you're dying to see?*
    Absolutely not. Just like I don't want to see cops being killed. Both are unacceptable.

vCash
    Maybe a hs band will do a show based on MS Burning or Roots. I'm sure the lefties would make excuses for that just as vehemently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Regardless of what happened in Brookhaven, why would a band be doing such a halftime show anyway?
    Exactly, this is supposed to be a 7-minute musical performance at halftime -- why dress in costume and carry guns to entertain. Sounds to me its more of an after-thought excuse (the John Q theme). I think heads need to roll over this!!!

vCash

If rolls were reversed and the theme depicted violence toward gays or minorities would you be defending so vehemently?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Exactly, this is supposed to be a 7-minute musical performance at halftime -- why dress in costume and carry guns to entertain. Sounds to me its more of an after-thought excuse (the John Q theme). I think heads need to roll over this!!!
    Marching band has always been about theatrics. Obviously not HS, but this is Phantom Regiment (DCI) performing their Spartacus show from 2008, complete with special costumes, guard acting as slaves, Drum Majors as Roman officers, etc...Not sticking up for the use of gun props in this HS show, but marching band, to the people that do it, has always been more than just filler during the halftime.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Marching band has always been about theatrics. Obviously not HS, but this is Phantom Regiment (DCI) performing their Spartacus show from 2008, complete with special costumes, guard acting as slaves, Drum Majors as Roman officers, etc...Not sticking up for the use of gun props in this HS show, but marching band, to the people that do it, has always been more than just filler during the halftime.

Trying to figure out which comparison is dumber. This one or Q's comparing Pirates of the Caribbean to modern day Somalia pirates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Trying to figure out which comparison is dumber. This one or Q's comparing Pirates of the Caribbean to modern day Somalia pirates.
    Both comparisons are dumb and both are just trying to push their liberal agenda.

Banned
    vCash

Here's what Errick L. Greene is REALLY doing.