Thread: For my fellow history guys, you never know.

vCash

For my fellow history guys, you never know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    That is really cool. I've stumbled across a couple of rare artifacts over the years, but nothing truly valuable and historic like that.

vCash
    Cool. if you want to see what's left of a lot of flags like that go to the cathedrals in England.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Cool. if you want to see what's left of a lot of flags like that go to the cathedrals in England.
    The Mississippi department of history has a bunch of Civil war flags in that shape. I got to see them about 15 years ago. Both Union and Confederate. it cost like 30,000 to restore a flag if I remember correctly.

vCash
    A while back they sold prints of the confederate battle flags to help support the costs of maintaining them. I can't remember if they still do that though.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm trying to understand what actually happened here. The auction was in the U.S., the buyer lives in the UK and I still don't know what the hell the bidder originally paid "500 pounds" for. And how did the cardboard box come into play? Very confusing and poorly written piece to say the least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    The Mississippi department of history has a bunch of Civil war flags in that shape. I got to see them about 15 years ago. Both Union and Confederate. it cost like 30,000 to restore a flag if I remember correctly.
    There is one in Salisbury Cathedral that was carried against us in the American Revolution. There is almost nothing left of it. It's mostly the outer seams and other outline seams. My understanding is in England once a battle flag is hung in a cathedral it is NEVER taken down. It hangs until it completely disintegrates. Some of the cathedrals and churches there are history lessons. The memorials tell many stories. One that floored me is in Westminster Abbey. As an American you just don't expect to see a memorial to Major John Andre in a place of high honor. To the English he is, of course, a hero.