Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
The NCAA actually could be liable if someone decides to seek civil damages for a crime. The NCAA has a bad habit of telling people they're not allowed to discuss the contents of a meeting with anyone else. Problem is, 1) that's a blatant 1st amendment violation; 2) they have absolutely ZERO legal authority to that (or over anything for that matter), and 3) they could potentially be telling people to not report crimes.
Hack, I'm no lawyer, but are you sure about that? We're talking about voluntary membership in an organization with membership rules. It's not as if the NCAA is threatening anything more than expulsion from the "club" if you don't obey the membership rules you agreed to when you joined.

And I doubt very seriously they are prohibiting people from reporting crimes. I suspect their "gag order" only pertains to discussing the case as it relates to rules violations that aren't also actual crimes. Also, is there a rule against schools discussing, or is it only the NCAA that has rules about their side discussing? If there is something in place for schools and/or witnesses, is it actually a rule, or just something "frowned upon"?