Thread: The one that got away (basketball)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Whatever 61, you obviously know everything about everything. Had we waited another year, things would have been better. I know how MSU people felt. I also know how it was perceived by those outside the MSU family. Strick should have waited one more year before he forced the issue. His replacement options would have been better if we had fired Rick after a bad season. WE were the only ones that thought Rick's last one was a bad one for us. My non-MSU friends thought we we had gone nuts. I DO think we would have sucked the next year under Stans. I said so at the time. We would have had more options had we waited. Cue up 34 and others to deny this, but I have a DAMN good source on basketball. He has never been wrong, and was spot on on everything that happened, before it happened.

PS.....WE were the only ones that thought the Sydney debacle was a debacle. Everybody else thought it was amusing and mildly embarrassing, if they even noticed. The only thing they noticed in all of it was the fight. I know the story there, we canned the right guy.
    you are insane. People from all over wondered how he still had a job. You have lost touch with reality. It's not often Sporting News calls a program the "most dysfunctional team in America". We were a joke to most people. Just wow
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    you are insane. People from all over wondered how he still had a job. You have lost touch with reality. It's not often Sporting News calls a program the "most dysfunctional team in America". We were a joke to most people. Just wow
    No, they didn't 34. MSU people from all over did, encouraged by the usual suspects. Most basketball people, outside the media, thought we pulled the trigger too soon. The results since then say it all. The first coaching search went exactly as I, and my source, predicted. Getting rid of Rick for ANY coach did NOT solve our problem. You told me it would, in those exact words. As I said, it's all water under the bridge now. Hopefully Howland gets us back to the NIT this year. I've never been a consistent season ticket holder in football, my late Dad and I had them for 25 years in basketball. It hurts me to see us as we are. I have a lot of great memories of my Dad and me during the Williams and Stans years. Those were good years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    No, they didn't 34. MSU people from all over did, encouraged by the usual suspects. Most basketball people, outside the media, thought we pulled the trigger too soon.
    Here we go again. We chose Rick Ray just as we chose Croom over Jimbo Fisher. He wasnt our only option- just a very bad choice. Alot of coaches passed because of our known drug problems and our AD making coaches aware of it. But our bad decision had zero to do with pulling the trigger on Stands. People all over knew the chaos within our program. Coaches laughed at Stands for letting Sidney own his ass as we walked up the floor on national TV. You just dont get it because you dont want to.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Here we go again. We chose Rick Ray just as we chose Croom over Jimbo Fisher. He wasnt our only option- just a very bad choice. Alot of coaches passed because of our known drug problems and our AD making coaches aware of it. But our bad decision had zero to do with pulling the trigger on Stands. People all over knew the chaos within our program. Coaches laughed at Stands for letting Sidney own his ass as we walked up the floor on national TV. You just dont get it because you dont want to.
    My source, and again my source is impeccable, you have NO idea how impeccable, has always maintained that we DID have other options. Unfortunately they were all about on the same level as Ray. I DO get it about Sid, I hated his lazy butt, probably more than you did. When I saw his last basketball destination I had to laugh, I have been to PEI. It's about as far from the center of the basketball universe as you can get. Coaches DID laugh at what we did with Sid, but the national perception was given what Stans had done here he deserved at least a year without him to right the ship. That we didn't give him that ruined any chance we had of making a good hire to replace him. That is FACT. You can blame Strick, and I DO, but not for the same reason you do. He forced the issue one year too soon. I find it hilarious that he is embroiled in kind of the same situation at Florida, on a much bigger scale. I don't think for a minute he was the one that fired the football coach, but it's a lot like Stans, the previous guy is coming off two straight eastern division championships. He just couldn't beat Saban and his postion became untenable, because they expect him to beat Saban. Never mind that nobody else doesn't do it much either when it really matters.

vCash
    Coaches laughed at Stands for letting Sidney own his ass as we walked up the floor on national TV.
    Oh my God....I remember there was some presser before Sid's last year, and some media guy asked Stans "why he was having trouble getting in shape", and Stans just replied with "it is what it is"....What the **** is that suppose to mean? I vividly remember yelling that out loud as I listened to the PC. Then I realized that the "is what it is" he spoke of was actually just a lazy as **** euphemism for being a limp dick pushover. I was really embarrassed for him in that moment. More embarrassing, however, was Stans being the only SEC coach who voted to keep the divisions, because he knew those 'West Banners' he coveted so much were the only things keeping him employed.....

I digress.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Oh my God....I remember there was some presser before Sid's last year, and some media guy asked Stans "why he was having trouble getting in shape", and Stans just replied with "it is what it is"....What the **** is that suppose to mean? I vividly remember yelling that out loud as I listened to the PC. Then I realized that the "is what it is" he spoke of was actually just a lazy as **** euphemism for being a limp dick pushover. I was really embarrassed for him in that moment. More embarrassing, however, was Stans being the only SEC coach who voted to keep the divisions, because he knew those 'West Banners' he coveted so much were the only things keeping him employed.....

I digress.
    The same reasoning they used to do away with the divisions in basketball could be used now in football, but they aren't. nor should they be. I HATE what basketball scheduling is now. I actually love the regional alignment in football except for one thing. Missou needs to be in the WEST where it belongs, and Auburn needs to be in the East. The ONLY reason this hasn't happened is UT and BAMA.