Thread: Here is why State will be the Darkhorse pick to win it all in 2018...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    great post DD

We have tons of talent returning and QUALITY depth. Question marks at WR and CB- but every team has questions. Should be a fun ride
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    great post DD

We have tons of talent returning and QUALITY depth. Question marks at WR and CB- but every team has questions. Should be a fun ride
    How many of those Question marks get answered by signing Guidry, Heath, and Whop? Mixon, Thomas, Todd, Mitchell, and Couch returning is probably on the lower end of the SEC average but throwing in the recruits might push this to at least middle of the pack in the SEC. With what we have returning everywhere else on offense, if the team picks up JoeMo's offense then we could be one of the best in the SEC.

CB - hopefully Peters or Dantzler keep improving because both have talent. Is there anyone else that might make an impact besides Brian Cole?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    How many of those Question marks get answered by signing Guidry, Heath, and Whop? Mixon, Thomas, Todd, Mitchell, and Couch returning is probably on the lower end of the SEC average but throwing in the recruits might push this to at least middle of the pack in the SEC. With what we have returning everywhere else on offense, if the team picks up JoeMo's offense then we could be one of the best in the SEC.
    Don't forget about Jessie Jackson, if he can improve his hands over the offseason I believe he could have a big year. He will be in the 2 deep and probably a starter. Jackson actually ended up leading the team in receptions this year at 24 (tied with Donald Gray). Also, don't forget my boy Malik Dear, he will be more than healthy and ready to break out. Having a healthy Mixon and Dear will go a long way in opening up the verts for the bigger guys. Guidry, Heath and Whop will help, no doubt, but I don't think we can expect them to come in and be all-SEC type guys. You got Jackson, Dear, Mixon, Thomas, Todd, Mitchell, Couch, Whop, Heath, Guidry and Austin Williams (6'3" white dude from OS who redshirted this year). Thats a WR corp with a lot of size and raw talent, something we are not used to. The passing game will be much improved next year. Not to mention we will have like 34 tight ends on the roster next year, Mooreheads TE1 had 500+ receiving yards last year, so expect them to be a big part of the passing game.

The only position I can say that I am genuinely worried about is CB. Brian Cole definitely needs to make a Abram type impact for us to feel comfortable. You have Peters, Rayford and Dantzler who all have good experience. Need two from that group to take the next step. Then you hope for some quality depth from Landrews and Tyler Williams. The wild card here is snagging a Post-Grad transfer that can comfortably step into a 2 deep role. If we can get that, I think the sky is the limit. Also, an elite front 7 can make a weak secondary look average, as we saw this year.
    Last edited by DeviousDawg; 12-12-2017 at 12:58 PM.