Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An explanation of logistics gameday

vCash

An explanation of logistics gameday

I realize it is frustrating for many. But it seems many just don?t have a realistic concept of why the postgame traffic is as bad as it is.

1. Starkville population is 25,000 and msu is roughly the same. That means an area that holds 50,000 normally on gameday grows to well over 100,000.

2. While the stadium grew in the last 40 years the area didn?t. It?s the same plot of land. Roads are better, but generally the same.

3. Most important part: the stadium area grows over 5 hour period on gameday. Meaning it trickles in. But the game ends and depending upon the score, upwards of 60,000 expect to leave in less than half that time.

4. Think of a crowded theater and a fire breaking out. Even with emergency exits, there will be a crush at the doors.

5. All lanes going out has its merits, but the shuttles couldn?t get but one group out. That works for many, but also strands many.

Moral of the story, the only time the egress from a game is acceptable is in a blowout, but sometimes not then (LSU) when people stayed to enjoy it. Bama game went to the last play.

Hoping we blow out Ole Miss for more reasons than you can imagine.

vCash
    I agree with this but there are some situations that traffic flow just seems very odd. I am sure someone that actually has experience with traffic flow designed it but sometimes I am not so sure. It usually doesn't affect me because I just tailgate for another hour or so after the game.

vCash
    Let's address an area where the previous administration royally screwed up. Prior to the 2014 season, seating in the newly expanded DWS was reallocated based on BDC priority. That's fine, it needed to be done. However, what also should have been done at this same time was reallocation of the parking passes. There are plenty of people who get stuck with a pass on the opposite side of campus from the direction they are entering and leaving. Parking reallocation should occur every few seasons as people relocate their homes, seats within the stadium or just realized they aren't in a good lot for their entrance and exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    Let's address an area where the previous administration royally screwed up. Prior to the 2014 season, seating in the newly expanded DWS was reallocated based on BDC priority. That's fine, it needed to be done. However, what also should have been done at this same time was reallocation of the parking passes. There are plenty of people who get stuck with a pass on the opposite side of campus from the direction they are entering and leaving. Parking reallocation should occur every few seasons as people relocate their homes, seats within the stadium or just realized they aren't in a good lot for their entrance and exit.
    That makes sense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    I realize it is frustrating for many. But it seems many just don?t have a realistic concept of why the postgame traffic is as bad as it is.

1. Starkville population is 25,000 and msu is roughly the same. That means an area that holds 50,000 normally on gameday grows to well over 100,000.

2. While the stadium grew in the last 40 years the area didn?t. It?s the same plot of land. Roads are better, but generally the same.

3. Most important part: the stadium area grows over 5 hour period on gameday. Meaning it trickles in. But the game ends and depending upon the score, upwards of 60,000 expect to leave in less than half that time.

4. Think of a crowded theater and a fire breaking out. Even with emergency exits, there will be a crush at the doors.

5. All lanes going out has its merits, but the shuttles couldn?t get but one group out. That works for many, but also strands many.

Moral of the story, the only time the egress from a game is acceptable is in a blowout, but sometimes not then (LSU) when people stayed to enjoy it. Bama game went to the last play.

That doesn't explain why traffic doesn't move at all. I've been to stadiums where 50000 leave at the same time, and the traffic may be slow but it moves. At MSU, it just sits frozen. Some of that is on stupid drivers, but most of it is on poor planning and execution IMO.

Idea: designate some lots as first to leave, others with a delay. Charge accordingly. Let people pick which works for them. For the delayed lots, put a gate or a guard on them and keep them closed for an hour or so. That would help the traffic flow.

Find the chokepoints that are slowing everything down, and fix them. I would bet the PTB know where the handful of chokepoints are (and they probably aren't on campus), but the fix involves spending a little bit of money so nothing gets done.

vCash
    Our campus has LESS roads than when I was a student back in the 80s we had 13k students and the stadium seated 30k. It is what it is.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    That makes sense
    You can request a change at the beginning of the season. If you give them a wide area to move to, not just one parking area, you can sometimes switch.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Can't do that. People leave when they are ready to go. Let's say lot 13 has the first to go, but you want to tailgate for an hour. How does that work?
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash

Oh, blow it out your bloomers... whatta you know. ***

vCash
    It is a football game. Expect big crowds and all of the problems big crowds cause. Bring an extra bag of chips and six pack of cokes and wait 30-45 minutes until some of the crowd leaves, or crank that car and drive carefully and slowly off campus to get hoe 20 minutes quicker than if you waited 45 minutes.

There must be something really wrong with me. I never went to a game at Starkville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge that I didn't add an extra hour to my travel plans to account for exiting the stadium and town.

You want a nightmare? Attend a NASCAR Race at Talladega. Those idiots take the race with them when they leave. You see one wreck on I-20 and then a wreck four miles down the interstate after passing the first wreck. We have encountered as many as five wrecks between Talladega and Birmingham - on a straight highway with limited access.

Look at the traffic jam as a price we pay for good attendance. You could always bring your Bell Ranger to the south farm and fly back o Kosciusko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    That doesn't explain why traffic doesn't move at all. I've been to stadiums where 50000 leave at the same time, and the traffic may be slow but it moves. At MSU, it just sits frozen. Some of that is on stupid drivers, but most of it is on poor planning and execution IMO.

Idea: designate some lots as first to leave, others with a delay. Charge accordingly. Let people pick which works for them. For the delayed lots, put a gate or a guard on them and keep them closed for an hour or so. That would help the traffic flow.

Find the chokepoints that are slowing everything down, and fix them. I would bet the PTB know where the handful of chokepoints are (and they probably aren't on campus), but the fix involves spending a little bit of money so nothing gets done.
    **** AMY TUCK, former LT Governor, is who needs to be contacted... Yes, those parking passes need re-working.... I could walk home faster than getting in the traffic. Also, ALL shuttles should be suspended for 2 hours after a game to the City Routes.... ie all shuttles should run to the parking areas and not through the city.... As to the parking... it was an idiot that decided that they wanted a WALKING campus.... so guess what... less roads and parking lots.... Ask employees that cannot locate parking...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MeridianDog View Post
    It is a football game. Expect big crowds and all of the problems big crowds cause. Bring an extra bag of chips and six pack of cokes and wait 30-45 minutes until some of the crowd leaves, or crank that car and drive carefully and slowly off campus to get hoe 20 minutes quicker than if you waited 45 minutes.

There must be something really wrong with me. I never went to a game at Starkville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge that I didn't add an extra hour to my travel plans to account for exiting the stadium and town.

You want a nightmare? Attend a NASCAR Race at Talladega. Those idiots take the race with them when they leave. You see one wreck on I-20 and then a wreck four miles down the interstate after passing the first wreck. We have encountered as many as five wrecks between Talladega and Birmingham - on a straight highway with limited access.

Look at the traffic jam as a price we pay for good attendance. You could always bring your Bell Ranger to the south farm and fly back o Kosciusko.
    Unfortunately true. Don’t want to get into a large crowd, leave early or stay late. Period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MeridianDog View Post
    You could always bring your Bell Ranger to the south farm and fly back o Kosciusko.
    No no no! Take your Airbus H125 (AS350) instead. I build those and we need to sell some!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    No no no! Take your Airbus H125 (AS350) instead. I build those and we need to sell some!
    Hard to park. Bell Ranger much easier. (Just saying)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Unfortunately true. Don’t want to get into a large crowd, leave early or stay late. Period.
    I don't complain about the volume of traffic. That's to be expected. What I complain about are needed turns that are not allowed, and forced turns that send you out in the middle of nowhere (e.g., Blackjack to Stone, instead of continuing to Hwy 12). Even my nav system didn't know where I was after a while (literally).

They've gotten rid of one of the bottlenecks ... the golf carts. Now they need to keep people from walking in the middle of streets that are open to traffic, and realize that everybody doesn't need to go where they have you going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Oh, blow it out your bloomers... whatta you know. ***
    You are literally my favorite person on earth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    **** AMY TUCK, former LT Governor, is who needs to be contacted... Yes, those parking passes need re-working.... I could walk home faster than getting in the traffic. Also, ALL shuttles should be suspended for 2 hours after a game to the City Routes.... ie all shuttles should run to the parking areas and not through the city.... As to the parking... it was an idiot that decided that they wanted a WALKING campus.... so guess what... less roads and parking lots.... Ask employees that cannot locate parking...
    Dear word. Mimi. Stop it with this. It?s physics. Suspend the shuttles and the people who park farther away AND ARENT part of the problem are punished. The shuttles are the only thing that provide relief from the mass amount of cars. They move people quickly OUTWARD to places where the traffic isn?t.

Read my original post. Better yet just stop all together. You should stick to rumors about recruiting. You get a portion of those correct. When it comes to this you know nothing.

Amy Tuck will not solve a problem that has to do with 100000 people in a small area leaving at the same time. She is fantastic. She isn?t a magician.

vCash
    Dear word. Mimi. Stop it with this. It?s physics. Suspend the shuttles and the people who park farther away AND ARENT part of the problem are punished. The shuttles are the only thing that provide relief from the mass amount of cars. They move people quickly OUTWARD to places where the traffic isn?t.

Read my original post. Better yet just stop all together. You should stick to rumors about recruiting. You get a portion of those correct. When it comes to this you know nothing.

Amy Tuck will not solve a problem that has to do with 100000 people in a small area leaving at the same time. She is fantastic. She isn?t a magician.
    Dude, she has 1800 posts in 9 months, she obviously picks and chooses where she posts. ***.

vCash
    I park downtown and have no problem. We ride the shuttle in and make a 15 to 20 minute walk back. On 25 south in front of most the traffic. I think it is crazy parking on campus for night SEC game. I am half way to Louisville before most are off campus.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 11-13-2017 at 08:26 PM.

vCash

thinking over how other places do it, the key seems to be giving people only one lane. no choice on where they're going until they are wayyyyy away from the stadium. and they have to have no stops on that route, no redlights or stop signs, so that's it's continuous flow and not stop and start traffic that gives you maybe 1/4 the flow rate. once you start giving people choices, the idiot and selfish drivers ruin it for everyone. take one look at the traffic egress plan with that in mind.

so, with that in mind, let's revisit my idea. every lot should have one and only one route out. some all the way down blackjack/octoc to 45. others out the old way to 25. others to 82. for one hour after the game. then all routes open up. pick your lot based on your exit route, or wait.