Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: I need guidance from the HDTV pros

vCash

OT: I need guidance from the HDTV pros

Alright,

I'm upgrading my television. I just kind of grabbed a tv on the shelf at walmart when i bought my current one. This time I want to buy one with making the most of HD in mind. I stream netflix, hulu, and amazon a lot but I mainly do that through my PS4 so I'm not overly concerned with a tv that has that stuff (though I'm not against it). I want something with above average to great picture quality, contrast, and clarity to make the most of HD and Blu-ray. I'm looking for something in the 55" size as that would fit the space I have perfectly. Obviously, it needs to be 1080p.

Any recommendations or warnings?

vCash
    Sharp Aquos 240 refresh rate is a winner!

vCash
    check out Samsung and Panasonic... a google or looking at CNET will be very helpful but may boggle your mind... another suggestion is to just go down to best buy or store like that and take a look... I'm a big plasma fan but the LED models are great. I like viewing in dark rooms, so the plasmas are my choice, but I think they are phasing them out and replacing with the new ultras

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372085,00.asp

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-...cture-quality/
    Last edited by Barking 13; 04-23-2015 at 03:18 PM.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Samsung LED 240Hz refresh rate for whatever size you get. I would get the smart tv just in case your PS4 craps out or you move it to another room.

vCash
    Plasmas are a dying technology IMO. I'd go with LED first and foremost. As long as the refresh rate is really high you shouldn't have pixalation problems. Other than that, just look at the TV coloring and "extra features" and choose what you want.

I've got a 65" Vizio LED and love it.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    Samsung LED 240Hz refresh rate for whatever size you get. I would get the smart tv just in case your PS4 craps out or you move it to another room.
    This^^^. Pay a little more for the faster refresh. Smaller tvs are not as noticeable but the larger ones you can really tell. I have a 55" Samsung 1st generation LED and people who visit always talk about The picture. As a side note Visio is making some high quality TVs these days. They have some top end LED models that are almost the same as Samsung at a much lower cost. Plus Visio is American made. At least they were originally, haven't checked to see if they've recently outsourced.

vCash
    Check our thewirecutter.com for their TV reviews.

Think about getting a 4k TV. If you have the budget, they are dropping in price fast and you'll keep a 55" for a long time.

Dont pay for the smart tv. The exterior boxes are faster and more replaceable and cheaper

vCash
    Samsung. Samsung. Samsung.

Apple TV rocks too. I think they are $69 now (down from $99).

vCash
    The jump from 60hz to 120 Hz was HUGE. However, the jump from 120Hz to 240 is not as big a jump. The human eye cannot even recognize 240Hz. Having said that, most new tv's have 240 nonetheless.

http://www.techhive.com/article/1848...resh_rate.html

vCash
    I'll 2nd the Samsung recommendations, as well... mine kicks ass...

RE: refresher rate, higher is better... I was fortunate enough to get a 50" prototype model with a 960hz rate, but it still didn't allow me keep up with Zeke Elliot running for touchdowns...

oh... *
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Vizio M class 240 refresh smart tv rivals samsung same style. Although you cannot go wrong with samsung.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Plasmas are a dying technology IMO. I'd go with LED first and foremost. As long as the refresh rate is really high you shouldn't have pixalation problems. Other than that, just look at the TV coloring and "extra features" and choose what you want.

I've got a 65" Vizio LED and love it.
    yeah, if it breaks you might not be able to find someone to repair it.**

plasma is dying because people wouldn't buy them, even though they are better. get one while you still can.

LED, anything 120 Hz or over, 1080p. anything more is just there to sucker fools out of more money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    yeah, if it breaks you might not be able to find someone to repair it.**

plasma is dying because people wouldn't buy them, even though they are better. get one while you still can.

LED, anything 120 Hz or over, 1080p. anything more is just there to sucker fools out of more money.
    My preference is plasma. I have a Samsung 50" plasma. The refresh rate on plasma is 600hz, but you only notice the difference when watching sports or action movies.

vCash
    First, it doesn't matter if you buy a 240... If the movie, tv show etc is filmed, and it is, in 60hz... You are not getting that up to 240 mo matter what anybody says. It's simply not there. Blu Ray is not 240... It's 60hz.

If you happen to purchase one and it looks like it's fake, it's due to how they are trying to make a 60 faster. It duplicates the surrounding frames and slightly alters them to make new ones. Look up "soap opera" effect.

I would pay closer attention to contrast....

vCash
    Lol... For the sake of the plasma vs led and refresh rates. A plasma refreshes at a rate of 600....

vCash
    I am in 20 to 30 homes a week with the tv's on and in my opinion the Sharp Aquos series are hard to beat. Samsung is more prevalent but a lot of that could be due to the marketing and advantageous financing they provide the distributors/dealers. I am also impressed with Panasonic, Vizio, and Sony.
    4K is a very impressive technology but very little is broadcast in 4K at this point in time and most of that is delivered via the internet, most of it is pay-per-view movies and is somewhat dependent upon the quality of your internet provider, satellite providers are delving into 4K delivery via satellite but that is probably 18 to 24 months out before there is significant programming available.
    For myself, I am holding off on 4K until I am convinced that the technology is here to stay and doesn't go the way of 3D tv's and programming. Also,there is a lot of work and research being done with the 'crystal' technologies which are far less expensive and tend to be more reliable and may be entering the market place soon.
    FWIW, in my daily travels, I see a few OLED's in the larger sizes setting to the side in people's homes that are waiting to be repaired or taken back to the dealer, considering the small sample size I encounter, that in its self is alarming to me and I personally would stay away from OLED's. For right now, if I needed a new tv, I would go with one of the brands mentioned above in LED with a 120 or 240 refresh rate, smart tv's are cool but I don't have access to good enough quality internet that would allow me to do any streaming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullsy View Post
    The jump from 60hz to 120 Hz was HUGE. However, the jump from 120Hz to 240 is not as big a jump. The human eye cannot even recognize 240Hz. Having said that, most new tv's have 240 nonetheless.

http://www.techhive.com/article/1848...resh_rate.html
    The last tv I bought was a 120 Hz. I couldn't tell much difference from my older 60 Hz. But my eyeballs are old. I'm guessing 120 is the minimum now days anyway.

As far as smart tv's are concerned, I can't see paying a lot for that. My $40 Roku box allows me to stream Netflix, Sling TV and anything else I want to watch with great quality. Of course your internet source and speed is the key there.

vCash
    Highly recommend samsung LED. The visual properties are hard to beat, but buy it with it in mind that samsung sound quality is not great. Plan to use a home theatre setup or a sound bar if audio is an important consideration.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Lol... For the sake of the plasma vs led and refresh rates. A plasma refreshes at a rate of 600....
    the market has chosen and plasma lost. rightly or wrongly, that's the way it's going. S&D is going towards LED.

Plasma has become a better technology, but the burn in remnants that the original plasmas left of TVs (ESPN/CNN bottom line burned into the screen even when you change the channel) ruined the technology. After that, it was a run away.

vCash
    I'm a big plasma fan. I really don't care for LED. If you are going with LED, get a 4k. Plasma has better contrast, but cost more per inch and uses a lot more power.

At Christmas I looked around at TVs. The 4k TVs were OK. They are really sharp but still had trouble with black compared to plasma. I eventually settled on an LG OLED curved and have been very pleased. It can handle black as well if not better than plasma and the image is as sharp as a 4k. I do seem to have more glare issues with the OLED curved (as opposed to the plasma I was using in the same location), so I have to strategically locate room lighting.