Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anybody else a little concerned....

vCash

Is anybody else a little concerned....

that after two decent outings by our team the last few weeks, many are chalking this Arkansas game up as a W?

What happens if we lose? I know where all of the Hud/Fire Mullen folks will be....but I'm talking about the majority of the board/fanbase. Those of us that are wanting to let these last two play out. Where does that leave us?

I'll admit, I have seen enough encouraging play the last few weeks to where I feel pretty good about this game, so I'm not real sure what it does to me or to our fan base as a whole if we drop a game to a bad Arkansas team after playing 2 pretty good games against highly ranked opponents.

Thoughts?

(Don't take this thread to a bad place, please)

vCash
    If we had a healthy Dak I would say that we do win easily. I think it will be a close one. On paper our defense matches up well against their offense. I will have to see if Dak can play or not to see how confident I am.

vCash
    I think we can beat Ark with a decent running game. I'd even like to see Damian in the diamond formation with Shump and Perkins and just run all over their asses. We can do this vs Ark but OM will be a different beast.

I don't think we lose to Arkansas until the score board tells me otherwise.

Banned
    vCash
    If Damian Williams starts at quarterback, we lose. It's a -2 spread and I'm assuming Vegas thinks Russell or Prescott will start. And we really won't be able to get on Mullen about it.

Logic says this will be a workmanlike game for us. We won't be fired up like we were vs. Alabama. It's not possible. Anyone who feels good about Arkansas right now is smoking crack. Russell or Prescott HAS to play.

vCash
    We have never beaten Ark there. No way am I chalking that game up as a win. We do have a decent chance though.

vCash
    Win or lose, I want to see relentless effort, preparedness, and discipline in the next two games... which has been my biggest beef all year, besides the obvious snafus by the staff...

vCash
    Gonna be a tough game, make no bones about it. Our QB is up in the air, we usually play poorly over there, Week after Bama, Hogs really want this game.....It'll take a very great effort to get this one.
    Wrap it in Maroon and White

vCash
    I'm right there with you. I vented my frustrations enough. I'm going to try to maintain even if we drop a turd at Arkansas. I will be ready for him to go that day, but I'll refrain from blowing a gasket.
    With that said, I think we win that game. The matchup looks good for us. I kinda thought we would play Bama good because again, the matchup played into the hands of our defense. We just need a little offense against Arky and we'll win. Ole Miss is a different matter. It's not a good matchup for our offense, but Dak gives us a chance if he plays. If Dak is out against the bears, we will not win.

Disclosure: I'll be drinking that day because it's my 1st Saturday off in a while. Any hatred I spew towards Mullen cannot be held against me. Any "F" bombs dropped should be overlooked. If my love for Hud becomes unbearable that day, I cannot be held responsible for that either. None of these actions should lead to the banning of me because I am otherwise a rational poster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    Win or lose, I want to see relentless effort, preparedness, and discipline in the next two games... which has been my biggest beef all year, besides the obvious snafus by the staff...
    If our guys can't deliver that in a winnable game that's also a must-win if they want to go bowling, then we've got problems. It's gut-check time. My worry is that Dak seems to have really taken on that leadership role. If he's unable to go, how is that going to affect the team aside from his inability to contribute physically.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash

Honestly, I think we are going to win by 2 TDs...minimum.

Mullen owns teams we aer supposed to beat. This is on the road, so may be a little more difficult.

One problem is we just played Bama, so could be a problem with let down, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    that after two decent outings by our team the last few weeks, many are chalking this Arkansas game up as a W?

What happens if we lose? I know where all of the Hud/Fire Mullen folks will be....but I'm talking about the majority of the board/fanbase. Those of us that are wanting to let these last two play out. Where does that leave us?

I'll admit, I have seen enough encouraging play the last few weeks to where I feel pretty good about this game, so I'm not real sure what it does to me or to our fan base as a whole if we drop a game to a bad Arkansas team after playing 2 pretty good games against highly ranked opponents.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

Thoughts?

Speaking solely for myself here: I expect us to beat UPig. They're just plain bad and don't have very many offensive weapons. What they do have, a solid OL and a very good RB, plays right to the strength of our D - stopping the run. Even if we're forced to go with Williams at QB, I think we should put up enough points to beat them, although it may not be very many.

All that said, if we lose to them, I'm off the Mullen bandwagon. For me, it's simple: Mullen will have lost to a team we should beat, even if we are having to start our 3rd string true frosh QB. I've been pretty clear that it's "bowl or go" so far as I'm concerned. I've seen some real improvement the last few weeks, but it has to translate to wins these last 2 games for me to remain confident Mullen is the right coach going forward.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Has anyone seen the stats on the records of teams the week after they play Bama the last few years? We will be flat as usual the week after Bama, have NEVER won in the state of Arkansas and we could very well be starting a true freshman QB. Anyone who doesn't think we face an uphill battling winning this week is not looking at things objectively. The ONLY thing helping us is the ARK team and fanbase possibly throwing in the towel on the season. OM didn't exactly beat their doors off IN Oxford. If Williams starts then I am totally preparing myself for a loss. Unfortunately, we don't have much of a running game right now without Dak.

vCash
    If we lose Saturday- all the shit spewed Mullen's way will be deserved.

We simply cant lose this game
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    If Russell is healthy and starts...he did have a very good game against Arkansas last season, and they haven't exactly improved.

vCash
    i fear the trap game. coming off a&m and bama, before ole miss. i'd be pleasantly surprised if we come out with a lot of emotion. i know arkansas sucks. but we nearly lost to kentucky and BGSU, so we are definitely capable of dropping this game if we come out flat with a 3rd string QB playing overly conservative and arkansas comes out fired up.

vCash
    In Little Rock. Possibly starting a true freshman qb. Let down from Bama at home at night where we played great, just could not get it done. Arkansas with a shit record (no matter what you think, our players will be looking at this.) Arkansas' only chance to win an SEC game and could possibly use it as a "look we are getting better" something to build on moment. 11:21 kickoff.

All that to say, this game has all the makings for a very shitty Saturday.

Banned
    vCash
    He can't control his QBs getting hurt though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    In Little Rock. Possibly starting a true freshman qb. Let down from Bama at home at night where we played great, just could not get it done. Arkansas with a shit record (no matter what you think, our players will be looking at this.) Arkansas' only chance to win an SEC game and could possibly use it as a "look we are getting better" something to build on moment. 11:21 kickoff.

All that to say, this game has all the makings for a very shitty Saturday.
    Damn, Rick. After reading that, now I'm like...

Banned
    vCash
    Talking to some players they seem really focused I know theyre not gonna tell me that theyre overlooking Arkansas but still. Everybody involved in the State football program knows how big this game is. If we have Dak we win handily. Russell could get us a W and even if we do have to go with Williams, don't think we will but still. I'll expect a win. The sky will fall if we lose this game. Dak can save Mullen's job. He's earned a little bit of my respect back the last two weeks

vCash
    Dan has a good record of beating teams that we should win against. It would be a major fluke for them to upset us. Although anything can happen, I really expect us to beat them and will not be surprised if we beat them soundly.