Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: John Emery with the curveball..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Ding ding ding.

We have a winner.

If you give a typical MSU fan long enough, he'll let you know exactly why a player shouldn't attend MSU.

Ole Miss is delusional to a fault and we are realistic to such a fault that it screws with our ceiling and we get taken advantage of by the more creative, prideful type.

Pride is usually viewed as bad and humbleness good, but there is a point where it switches and the prideful man gets others to buy in and he humble man accepts lower standards
    And I could see some Georgia coach or GA or whoever looking at a MSU MB and telling Emery- "See even they think you should come here".

Personally, I think it's the MSU message board culture to call people out when they are wrong- including here- and I think it may cause some fans to be overly cautious about what they post that it sometimes goes too far in the other direction. That and years of being told "Well, we're never going to be any good at football anyway." I actually remember being a child and my Mom telling me that "We're good in baseball and we're not good in football." This was the 80's. I remember my parents telling my that MSU football will always let you down. I'm saying this because I'm sure other MSU fans have had similar discussions with their families growing up. And that has to change and it hopefully it already is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I enjoy reading the opinions and info you guys have. I know their 25 commits are inflating the #13 ranking and several will pass them as classes fill up. What is bothering me is we only have 8 commits from the top 25 in Ms. with many more committed OOS & to OM. Very few of them are still uncommitted.
    But as of now we have four in state four star players to their three- and one of their three was at our camp this weekend. And this is before the season even starts- there are some 4 and even 5 star guys that we may flip or get to commit. We'll see. It's a long way to December and February. I think we're in pretty decent shape considering we haven't played a game yet. That said I think it's imperative that we have a great season and that we win the Egg Bowl. As of now I have a lot of confidence in Joe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Great post. Let it play out. Y'all remember the basketball and baseball season? Wound up playing out pretty dang good. This ain't Danny boys staff recruiting. We will be fine.
    If Dan was still here this class would be a disaster. Like Florida's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    No doubt about it. For being on the job 7 months and not having played one game Joes staff is recruiting well. There will always be some misses but I see us getting some others in the boat once they see us in action. I'm with you on the confidence I have in this coaching staff.

vCash
    Actually it won't be long before Florida bolts up the ranking board and leaves us behind. They have scores of 4 and even 5 star guys that they lead for. We will be filling out the remainder of our spots with mainly lower rated players. Hopefully we can get the season going strong and get a nice surprise flip or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    You would make a good UGA recruiter. Glad you don't recruit for us
    I don't get paid to recruit for us but your view is pretty dense. It is called being a realist and choosing to not whine and complain about an out of state 5* RB not picking us because some recruiting site told you we had him.

Hard to improve on something if you can't see the truth and what the issues are and then improve upon those issues.

You asked why he would pick UGA over us from looking at their depth chart and then jumped on people for giving you an honest answer. There are a bunch of reasons a prospective prospect would pick UGA over State. There are also several reasons one would potentially pick us over other schools. But that wasn't what you asked. I never saw you ask why would a RB pick Miss state over UGA or what positives can we use in recruiting to get these kids. If you had asked that I would have told you my thoughts on what we can sell and how we could sell it.

75% of your posts are complaining about Bama UGA etc landing all the big time recruits/winning championships and how it isn't "fair". Life is not fair. There are haves and have nots in everything. The only way to change that is work harder than the next guy and do it the right way. No taking short cuts.

If we continue to win like we have been we will slowly get better in the recruiting and slowly elevate the program. Sorry it isn't happening as quickly as you would like it to. Look at Clemson, Oregon etc. That is the path we need to follow and are following. There are a lot of positive things going on in our program and we will continue to get better in all aspects but it is not going to happen over night.

vCash
    And I could see some Georgia coach or GA or whoever looking at a MSU MB and telling Emery- "See even they think you should come here".

Personally, I think it's the MSU message board culture to call people out when they are wrong- including here- and I think it may cause some fans to be overly cautious about what they post that it sometimes goes too far in the other direction. That and years of being told "Well, we're never going to be any good at football anyway." I actually remember being a child and my Mom telling me that "We're good in baseball and we're not good in football." This was the 80's. I remember my parents telling my that MSU football will always let you down. I'm saying this because I'm sure other MSU fans have had similar discussions with their families growing up. And that has to change and it hopefully it already is.
    Agree with everything besides other coaches reading other schools message boards. I could be wrong.

The not so simple fix to losing the "let you down" mentality is to win the big games. The Alabama game this past year is the perfect example.

In two years no future recruits will hardly remember which year it was we beat LSU or who won the egg bowl even probably. They would've remembered winning that game agains AL if we had finished. Or going in to UGA last year and winning (or at least competing) instead of getting embarrassed.

All definitely much easier said than done. I definitely think state fans are starting to believe like myself.... some are just way ahead of others.