Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Lemonis hire

vCash

Thoughts on Lemonis hire

First off, Cohen's mouth is the reason people are melting over this hire. If he doesn't run his mouth, everybody is cool with the hire. Lemonis will do good here, and everyone melting will be excited when we're rolling the next few years.

Truth is, I had almost conceded that we were hiring Henderson....so all I was thinking was, "please keep Gautreau and hire a bad ass pitching coach/recruiter." Well, now we have a really good recruiter as head coach, we kept Gautreau, and I still think we need a really bad ass pitching coach. So in other words, we already upgraded over what many of us thought would be Henderson...but I think Lemonis will be a great hire long term.

One thing that helps a coach do well is fan buy in. It's crucial that we as a fan base buy in and support it until he gives us a reason not to. So I encourage people to get their bitching out tonight and then get on board tomorrow and start pulling that rope. I'm looking forward to the Lemonis era...Cohen knows baseball, and his goal is to win MSU a Natty...so if he thinks this is the guy that can do it, I'm on board.

vCash
    Another great post! Rep given!

vCash
    Excellent post. Rep given.

vCash
    All things I've seen are he is an elite recruiter and a pretty good hitting guy. Average game management and player development. McDonnell coaching tree. Fairly successful at Indiana. Been to CWS as player and assistant coach.

Overall I'm pretty underwhelmed. Thought there were some better non tier 1 guys (Schloss, McDonnell, etc.) that I would've personally taken before I got to him. He was on my radar. But down the totem pole needless to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    First off, Cohen's mouth is the reason people are melting over this hire. If he doesn't run his mouth, everybody is cool with the hire. Lemonis will do good here, and everyone melting will be excited when we're rolling the next few years.

Truth is, I had almost conceded that we were hiring Henderson....so all I was thinking was, "please keep Gautreau and hire a bad ass pitching coach/recruiter." Well, now we have a really good recruiter as head coach, we kept Gautreau, and I still think we need a really bad ass pitching coach. So in other words, we already upgraded over what many of us thought would be Henderson...but I think Lemonis will be a great hire long term.

One thing that helps a coach do well is fan buy in. It's crucial that we as a fan base buy in and support it until he gives us a reason not to. So I encourage people to get their bitching out tonight and then get on board tomorrow and start pulling that rope. I'm looking forward to the Lemonis era...Cohen knows baseball, and his goal is to win MSU a Natty...so if he thinks this is the guy that can do it, I'm on board.

vCash
    He will be considered in the same breath as “Tadlock, Schloss, Heefner” soon

vCash
    Looks like a pretty good hire. I honestly like him a lot better than Godwin who people were talking about getting at one point. Other than the big 4 that was mentioned, he seems like a great pick. A lot of baseball guys are saying it is a great hire and I trust Cohen especially with a baseball hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    All things I've seen are he is an elite recruiter and a pretty good hitting guy. Average game management and player development. McDonnell coaching tree. Fairly successful at Indiana. Been to CWS as player and assistant coach.

Overall I'm pretty underwhelmed. Thought there were some better non tier 1 guys (Schloss, McDonnell, etc.) that I would've personally taken before I got to him. He was on my radar. But down the totem pole needless to say.
    You may be right, but Was Moorhead or Canny on your radar? Not saying Lemonis will win us a Natty, but if Cohen is anything, he's thorough...so I just can't help but think we may have found our Schloss/McDonnell/Augie/etc. Could he be a bust? Sure anything's possible...but if you have ever heard a word Cohen's said, you know he wants a Title at MSU so bad he can taste it. And if he wanted to take the easy way out, he could have hired Henderson...he didn't. He hired Lemonis, so I think he feels confident that Lemonis and Gautreau can bring home the hardware. Otherwise, you buy yourself a few more years with Hendo, and say "I didn't miss on Schloss, Hendo earned it and the fans wanted it"....he didn't take the easy path, so I'm all in on Lemonis.

vCash
    I personally like the hire and think he will win big here. Not sure why you guys are saying average game day coach and talent developer. We’ve had three different coaches take us to three different Supers the last three years. Stability is what this program needs and this guy will get it done.

Banned
    vCash
    I think this guy will win big here.

vCash
    You may be right, but Was Moorhead or Canny on your radar? Not saying Lemonis will win us a Natty, but if Cohen is anything, he's thorough...so I just can't help but think we may have found our Schloss/McDonnell/Augie/etc. Could he be a bust? Sure anything's possible...but if you have ever heard a word Cohen's said, you know he wants a Title at MSU so bad he can taste it. And if he wanted to take the easy way out, he could have hired Henderson...he didn't. He hired Lemonis, so I think he feels confident that Lemonis and Gautreau can bring home the hardware. Otherwise, you buy yourself a few more years with Hendo, and say "I didn't miss on Schloss, Hendo earned it and the fans wanted it"....he didn't take the easy path, so I'm all in on Lemonis.
    Moorhead was to an extent. I just had several guys I’d consider Tier 2 coaches ranked ahead of Lemonis when I look at coaches from other conferences/Non-power 5 schools. Namely, Dan Heefner, Greg Lovelady, Todd Whitting. But I think the guy could turn out to be top notch. Just not the direction I thought we’d go after Schloss and company.

vCash
    Our recruits are already praising this hire. He's an energetic guy that kids and parents love, GoTro is staying and he's bringing a top notch pitching coach. Just sit back and give it time. You'll wind up very happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Our recruits are already praising this hire. He's an energetic guy that kids and parents love, GoTro is staying and he's bringing a top notch pitching coach. Just sit back and give it time. You'll wind up very happy.
    Like^^^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Love hearing this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I personally like the hire and think he will win big here. Not sure why you guys are saying average game day coach and talent developer. We’ve had three different coaches take us to three different Supers the last three years. Stability is what this program needs and this guy will get it done.
    People are saying it because that's what the IU and other Big 10 fans are saying about him on other sites.

In 13, they made the CWS and won the conference (1st). In '14, they made a regional (1st), then Lemonis took over: In '15, they made a regional (6th). '16 they missed it (t-3rd). '17 made a regional (6th). '18 made a regional (5th). I don't see how you can look at that and say he's a good overall coach... His predecessor is a TERRIBLE coach (go look at ASU), yet was able to win the conference at IU twice. It can be done, is the point. Lemonis comes in and never challenges for it, and also doesn't even improve the team. Let me say that again, YEAR 3 AND 4 WERE NO BETTER THAN YEAR 1 AND 2! I don't care if he's a great recruiter and a bad developer or the other way around, whatever he is it isn't making the program better. He's treading water at a lever below what his mediocre predecessor left him with.

I hope to hell his resume is just a fluke, that there was bad injuries, luck, etc, and that he's actually building a monster. I have no doubt that our extra resources will let him at the very least tread water at a higher level. But honestly, when I look at that resume, I see nothing that says we got a hidden gem. Hope to hell I'm wrong though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    People are saying it because that's what the IU and other Big 10 fans are saying about him on other sites.

In 13, they made the CWS and won the conference (1st). In '14, they made a regional (1st), then Lemonis took over: In '15, they made a regional (6th). '16 they missed it (t-3rd). '17 made a regional (6th). '18 made a regional (5th). I don't see how you can look at that and say he's a good overall coach... His predecessor is a TERRIBLE coach (go look at ASU), yet was able to win the conference at IU twice. It can be done, is the point. Lemonis comes in and never challenges for it, and also doesn't even improve the team. Let me say that again, YEAR 3 AND 4 WERE NO BETTER THAN YEAR 1 AND 2! I don't care if he's a great recruiter and a bad developer or the other way around, whatever he is it isn't making the program better. He's treading water at a lever below what his mediocre predecessor left him with.

I hope to hell his resume is just a fluke, that there was bad injuries, luck, etc, and that he's actually building a monster. I have no doubt that our extra resources will let him at the very least tread water at a higher level. But honestly, when I look at that resume, I see nothing that says we got a hidden gem. Hope to hell I'm wrong though
    You will be wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    You will be wrong.
    Hope I am, though for the record I'm not making this my hill to die on or anything i just don't see anything in that resume that makes me confident. If you do, or see the flaws in my points, please let me know. Either way I'm going to support him come gameday, and reserve final judgement on him till at least after the first season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post

That's because his predecessor had Indiana's version on our 1985 team. Most Big 10 teams aren't able to win consistently like Lemonis has at Indiana because of the region they are in. They're very up and down in that league but Lemonis was able to keep them winning consistently.

vCash

Well said!

vCash
    Extremely disappointed. Don't see anything to say this is more than seeing eye single hire at best. Hope it works out.