Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The baseball HC decision has the potential to fracture the fan base

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    It's a very reasoned and informed opinion. Henderson just went deeper in Omaha than Ron Polk ever did.
    Henderson had a very magical run but we already would have a new coach if McNamee doesn't hit a 3 run bomb in the b9th vs FSU.

vCash
    LSU hired coach O because it was the only choice they had. They went after great coaches and every one of them said no. Because they saw what Les Miles had accomplished and how LSU treated him. If we fire Henderson, that is what coaches will see in us. Nobody wants to go to Starkville and be fired two years later
    This is what I fear is going to happen and part of why I think big name head coaches don?t want the job. I have a bad feeling that it will be between Henderson and an up and coming assistant coach. The expectations of this job are intense, and the post season run made it even more so. I would consider anything less than Omaha next year a disappointment.
    Last edited by Dawg2003; 06-24-2018 at 01:06 AM.

vCash
    It's a very reasoned and informed opinion. Henderson just went deeper in Omaha than Ron Polk ever did.
    No he didn't.

vCash
    Hiring someone other than Henderson will not split the fanbase. 90% of the fans that want Henderson are casual baseball fans that will support anyone MSU hires even if it's Willy Wonka. And if the media turns on us those fans are going to be on MSU's side. Those casual fans are not as invested as the hardcore fans most of whom do not want Henderson.

We need to not care what the media thinks because they don't have our best interests at heart.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 06-24-2018 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    There's people coming out of the woodwork for this thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    This is what I fear is going to happen and part of why I think big name head coaches don?t want the job. I have a bad feeling that it will be between Henderson and an up and coming assistant coach. The expectations of this job are intense, and the post season run made it even more so. I would consider anything less than Omaha next year a disappointment.
    If that is the case we need to hire an up and comer. With the expectations come a lot of resources and salary that those coaches wouldn't be able to get elsewhere too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    I dont envy John. If it's not Henderson, and I dont think it should be, he will get slaughtered by the media and half of our fans. If it's a hire that isnt considered a Grand Slam, he is going to get slaughtered. The decision should be based on our long term interest, not an emotional response to a great 3 week run. There are a handful of HR hires out there. Bring us one home. In Cohen I trust.
    What media is going to slaughter him? The CL that is Pravda to MSU fans? Housewives on twitter? D1 baseball dorks like Kendall Rodgers?

Henderson had a good run, he was hired to coach pitchers and assist Cohen and then later Andy Cannizzaro. He resigned his previous post and said the lifestyle was too much. That resignation was at a basketball school with no actual fans or season ticket holders. No way he is our next coach, unless he is the best candidate that is actually interested. That would suck tho.

This the MSU job after all. It's not like he took USM, Tennessee, or Bama to #4 in Omaha. We were ranked in the top-15 to start the year. We had a few AA contenders to start the year. If Mainieri were to die of a heart attack in early April next year and the interim took LSU to the CWS, that's not a miracle.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 06-24-2018 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    What media is going to slaughter him? The CL that is Pravda to MSU fans? Housewives on twitter? D1 baseball dorks like Kendall Rodgers?

Henderson had a good run, he was hired to coach pitchers and assist Cohen and then later Andy Cannizzaro. He resigned his previous post and said the lifestyle was too much. That resignation was at a basketball school with no actual fans or season ticket holders. No way he is our next coach, unless he is the best candidate that is actually interested. That would suck tho.

This the MSU job after all. It's not like he took USM, Tennessee, or Bama to #4 in Omaha. We were ranked in the top-15 to start the year. We had a few AA contenders to start the year. If Mainieri were to die of a heart attack in early April next year and the interim took LSU to the CWS, that's not a miracle.
    Rep given.

vCash
    I also kind of question why Henderson all of a sudden wants the job now? Probably to pad his nest egg. I doubt he has the motivation to stay with us long term.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I also kind of question why Henderson all of a sudden wants the job now? Probably to pad his nest egg. I doubt he has the motivation to stay with us long term.
    He probably just had the most fun for the last month than his whole baseball life combined. I don't question why he wants the job now. Would you want to give up this job knowing Mangum, Small, McNamee and the freshman were coming back? I seriously doubt him wanting the job has anything to do with padding his nest egg. He just won 2 COY awards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    He probably just had the most fun for the last month than his whole baseball life combined. I don't question why he wants the job now. Would you want to give up this job knowing Mangum, Small, McNamee and the freshman were coming back? I seriously doubt him wanting the job has anything to do with padding his nest egg. He just won 2 COY awards.
    If we were to hire Henderson, we have to hire an elite pitching coach and have better support staff such as actually have a paid coach at first and not players coaching first. Also I?d like to see better discipline on the base paths, more hit and runs, and more stolen bases. We had a lot of speed that we didn?t take advantage of nor did we put more pressure on the other team. I also think if we do hire Henderson we will have some transfers like Jordan Anderson and a couple of others. I don?t think he?s the answer and I will be very disappointed if he gets the job. This has Polk III written all over it. Hopefully Cohen won?t fall for the LT allure here.

Banned
    vCash
    The best thing for the program is the guy who took over us in the toughest spot in baseball history and lead us to Omaha and deep into Omaha. Nobody worth having will come here if this isn't good enough.
    Right, wrong, or indifferent, I suggested this over a month ago. If Henderson takes us a long way into the playoffs, it will be difficult not to offer him the job....and if not....it will turn off most of the decent coaches that might have considered it in the first place. Most of the coaching fraternity knows Gary and he is well liked. I think we've already started to see some questioning of this already from coaches and pundits. John may have to go the unenviable route of selecting an up and coming assistant like Canny if not Henderson. And to be honest, we'll never know if Canny was the answer or not......he seem to recruit well, but we just never saw enough of him to really know if he could handle the job. I think it will all work out in the end as the program is much bigger than any one coach. Speaking of big, Fullerton's Vanderhook is a pretty dang good coach. I imagine he could do a lot better with the resources we have than what he has to work with out there. Just a thought.

vCash
    If that is the case we need to hire an up and comer. With the expectations come a lot of resources and salary that those coaches wouldn't be able to get elsewhere too.
    That’s what I would favor, but how do you sell it to the players? How do you sell that you are getting rid of the staff these kids have been with? It’s a bad place to be.

vCash
    Yeah, this also gives me pause. I wonder if he wants a second chance to prove he can be a head coach. I also don?t think you are destined to be a terrible head coach because you were average at one place. Maybe he learned some things. Perhaps the safest route would be to hire him and give him a short leash. If he underperforms, he?s gone. And for effs sake, please put out money for a pitching coach. The pitching situation is untenable and bad for my mental health.

vCash
    Given the choice, I choose someone other than Henderson. With that said, if you're a state fan you should support whoever is hired. Don't let pride get in the way of your support of your university.

vCash
    Jeez dude. He wants it bc it's a great job. If Henderson were just trying to get a paycheck, this team would've packed it in at 14-15 (2-7)... maybe earlier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Given the choice, I choose someone other than Henderson. With that said, if you're a state fan you should support whoever is hired. Don't let pride get in the way of your support of your university.
    Sure I’ll support whoever is hired but Gary Henderson has Polk III written all over it.

vCash
    We have had a a romantic season. However, to romanticize it and hire a coach at the same time is a mistake. Gary is not the guy long term. He is a good coach but I think we can do better than good. Compensate him and the staff for what they did this year. Go find a head coach if you don?t already have one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    That’s what I would favor, but how do you sell it to the players? How do you sell that you are getting rid of the staff these kids have been with? It’s a bad place to be.
    The players have been through three head coaches, two pitching coaches and three hitting coaches. Their job is to play for whoever the coach is. Just like my boss and supervisor changes from time to time. Cohen will sell them on how great the new coach is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Jeez dude. He wants it bc it's a great job. If Henderson were just trying to get a paycheck, this team would've packed it in at 14-15 (2-7)... maybe earlier.
    I'm just concerned about his quote about being burned out and how baseball is an around the clock job. If I had an opportunity near the end of retirement to make a million dollars or so a year I'd probably do it too- but to be honest if I as near burnout I probably wouldn't do that great of a job.