Quote Originally Posted by sandawg View Post
I would stay away from Juco pitching too unless they just are too good to pass up. That doesn't happen very often. If we are going to stack up HS arms we can't just go after the Elite arms only, too many are real draft risks. We have to identify and sign guys that have good solid HS careers that can grow into a SEC pitcher. Top level HS pitchers that grow and get better will stock your staff with quality arms. Then it's up to the coach to develop them. Just too much risk in trying to bring in too many Elite arms. If you can get 1 Elite arm every year or two, and stack up good quality HS arms every year you can have a top staff. You can win with good pitching.
I actually think that JUCO can be a decent resource for us at certain things. I think we could find at least one good catch and throw third catcher type that is a baseball gym rat that can help our pitchers in the bullpen, handle pitchers well, and essentially be a good leader type of guy who is a big time MSU fan in the JUCO ranks. I think we can find some good sidearm/submarine relief pitchers like Ryan Rigby in the JUCO ranks and those can be valuable in college. We can find those types of players in MS JUCO's and maybe even some pinch hit/pinch run type guys too and we might be able to get a lot of them to walk-on. The problem is we try to make guys that have a ceiling as role players and try to make them into starting players.

I do agree with everything you said though.