Quote Originally Posted by hells bells View Post
Most of the hub bub is from the so-called media perception of MSU. I personally do not listen to Bounds, Finbaum, ect. I just refuse to panic about the program. Saturday night made me think, crowd stayed engaged throughout the game, recruits seemed excited, D-fense is damn good. The downward portion is special teams, kicking game, and QB injuries to Dak. I might be wearing ros? colored shades boys but I am very optimistic for the future. Main stream media does not dictate my opinion.
Very good post.

I think a lot of the anti-Mullen sentiment does come from a couple of things - both the media perception and from the panic over what Freeze did in recruiting last year.

And it's natural, I've felt it myself at times. But I agree with you, I think if you try to just look at where we are (and obviously you have to take into account where the others in your league are) and shut out the outside noise, you become more optimistic. There are still very questionable decisions at times, but they're not just bad decisions in general; they are almost solely bad choices given the personnel on the field. It makes me question why the coaching staff can't see the personnel we do have on the field and understand why certain play calls won't work, but the good thing is that most of the issues (QB who can't run well, RB who is more of a scat-back than between the tackles) are being solved through recruiting, so it may not matter.

It looks like all of our future QBs will be able to execute a QB draw or read option in short-yardage situations, and it seems like all of our future RBs will be able to pound it if asked. So I'm back on the Mullen train for now.