Quote Originally Posted by angusyoung View Post
But the opposite is important to note as well. When you come out and say "he's our best coach since WW2" and then you fire him, you look like a complete idiot.

AD speak and this are not the same. He's saying that historically he's the best coach in the history of the school and we aren't firing him.
If he loses the last two games, then you've got the firepower you need to let him go. In that scenario, which is probably the only scenario in which he considers firing him, you won't look like an idiot.

I happen to agree that he's historically our best coach, and I think firing him for one bad year is a mistake - even if we lose our next two. Looking at the big picture, Mullen has been great for us. People that say he's plateau'd may be right, but there's no way to know that. I don't think he's plateau'd, I just think it's incredibly difficult to go from where we are to taking that next step. Having a roster full of guys that are suited to run his offense will go a long way towards helping us take that step. If we lose one or both of our remaining games, depending on how we lose them, it may change my mind. If we win our next two, I'm still firmly in the keep Mullen camp.