I have been hunting a turkeys for decades and it is too addictive. There has been some great advise here. For me, here are my standards:

1-if you are going to hunt in the morning, be at your chosen location way before first light. Slip in and get settled before they start to stir in the trees as not to spook them.

2-only use a locator call to do as it says, locate them. An owl call is not a turkey call. I hear so many sick owl and peacock calls in the AM over and over. Never knew we had so many peacocks in North Miss. An accidental door slam can make a turkey gobble.

3-call low and soft and very infrequently. If a Tom is interested in coming to you, let him come. Kinda play hard to get with him. Only get excited with cackles if he looses interest, and if you find him walking away from you. Clucks and purrs works best with me. Also, a well placed cackle after he gobbles can speed his trot to you. Maybe don't call between gobbles. Make him look for the hen.

4-don't be afraid to move or slip through the woods to "chase" turkey. I have found myself running to cut off a turkey if is necessary. (Never top a hill without peaking of the top first in a very low profile). There are no telling how many miles I walk during turkey season.

5- don't get discourage, they are very smart birds.

6-ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT THEY HAVE EXCELLENT EYE SIGHT. Camo up real good from the head to your boots (face and hands)..... if a bird is coming be absolutely still with your gun already in place to shoot.

7- finally a late afternoon hunt works great in locating birds. If you can possible follow a flock, do it or at least listen for them to fly up to roost. Kinda act like you are deer hunting. Keep the ears open. This might several attempts, but this will narrow your starting point for the next AM hunt.

After thought, make sure where you are stepping and especially sitting, the no shoulders are moving by April.