Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think Vic coaches every possession as hard as anyone I've seen...

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    I have to laugh every time I see a statement like this about aTm. Let me just say IF they wanted him we could not touch what they could pay. However, I don't know what they would pay.
    That's why I said "we WILL pay more than them". Not we COULD.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I love Vic. But how much money is women's basketball with losing? I have no issue with what we lose now, but there has to be a line out there. Somewhere. And I don't really have the answer. More of a question
    I would suspect the Men's basketball team is losing more $ than the Women's at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    He's got to be tired after a game. A great coach.
    I heard the TV folks discussing the fact that he doesn't eat on game day.....only drinks coffee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    It's his alma mater.
    And MSU is Van Chancellor's alma mater but you see how that ended up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    Serious hypothetical question. Could vic coach a mens team and succeed?
    Well, we know that a girls high school basketball coach can get a job as an SEC football head coach - so anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    He'll be here until the A&M job opens up.
    Please don't start this nonsense again.

Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    He's too 5 salary now. Got a big big boost after last season. Will get another bump after this season. I would pay him whatever he wants lol.
    Our athletic budget would be bankrupt if you were determining coach's salaries. You'd pay everyone top dollar, to have included Lateral Move even when he didn't want to be here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Reminds you of a certain Alabama coach.
    He does remind me of Saban in that he coaches hard no matter the score and he's not satisfied with a big lead if his team is not playing well and not playing with effort. He's always pushing to get better. That seems to be a pretty simple thing for a coach to do but they obviously all do not. A certain former yankee football coach at Mississippi State comes to mind.
    One way Coach Schaefer does not remind me of Saban is that he is not a colossal dickhead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I would suspect the Men's basketball team is losing more $ than the Women's at this point.
    You would be bad wrong. Men's hoops makes money. And the women will lose at least 4 mill his year. And it will be more than that depending on how far we go and how many bonus' Vic gets.

vCash
    You would be bad wrong. Men's hoops makes money. And the women will lose at least 4 mill his year. And it will be more than that depending on how far we go and how many bonus' Vic gets.
    Best 4 mill the athletic dept will spend this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Best 4 mill the athletic dept will spend this year.
    And I won't argue w that. But somewhere there has to be a number that's too much to lose. Again, I agree, I'm willing to lose the 4 but not 10. It's somewhere in between

vCash
    Bc of tv money?

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Not sure how he?d do coaching men?s BBall. The men?s team is entirely different. You have a team almost completely full of previously pandered to, catered to, me me me, AAU players who have never played team basketball. Never not been THE GUY, and have a difficult time adjusting to a team aspect, if they ever do. That?s one thing Calipari seems to be able to do every year. He gets buy in of the team first from one and done guys. Why can?t we get it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Bc of tv money?
    No because they generate money through ticket sales and seat licenses. Women's generates almost nothing.

vCash
    No because they generate money through ticket sales and seat licenses. Women's generates almost nothing.
    Aren't more tix sold to women's games than men's? I guess the women's tix cost less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Aren't more tix sold to women's games than men's? I guess the women's tix cost less.
    Very few women's season tickets are sold. And they are dirt cheap. A bunch of people get in free. And there is no licensing fees. Actual attendance yes. Money. Unfortunately not close

vCash
    Very few women's season tickets are sold. And they are dirt cheap. A bunch of people get in free. And there is no licensing fees. Actual attendance yes. Money. Unfortunately not close
    I hadn't thought about it like that, but that makes complete sense.

vCash
    Can you foresee seat licensing fees for women's games if Vic keeps this going? I would think if both programs continue their trajectory, women's seats and tix will be more in demand than men's.

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    beating UCONN gave us the most national exposure MSU has gotten since 2014 & no telling how many years before that. I would think that being a national power in WBB, even if it loses money on paper, would bring in money in ways that are unseen (new fans, enrollment, keeping fans engaged w/ MSU athletics while other sports flounder).

I imagine there are a lot of young women right now growing up watching Vic's teams that will be lifelong MSU fans & potentially students solely b/c we are so successful in a sport that they feel connected to. I know a young girl from an OM family who can name every player, goes to games, interacts with our players. Not saying she becomes a lifelong fan & student but no way she'd be interested in MSU for any other reason. Through women's basketball we are reaching a potential fanbase that football, baseball, & MBB couldn't reach no matter how successful.

Not saying we should just throw money at the program, b/c we have to budget smarter than the rest of the SEC, but I don't think you can evaluate the return on investment in our WBB program just by ticket sales & what's on paper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post
    beating UCONN gave us the most national exposure MSU has gotten since 2014 & no telling how many years before that. I would think that being a national power in WBB, even if it loses money on paper, would bring in money in ways that are unseen (new fans, enrollment, keeping fans engaged w/ MSU athletics while other sports flounder).

I imagine there are a lot of young women right now growing up watching Vic's teams that will be lifelong MSU fans & potentially students solely b/c we are so successful in a sport that they feel connected to. I know a young girl from an OM family who can name every player, goes to games, interacts with our players. Not saying she becomes a lifelong fan & student but no way she'd be interested in MSU for any other reason. Through women's basketball we are reaching a potential fanbase that football, baseball, & MBB couldn't reach no matter how successful.

Not saying we should just throw money at the program, b/c we have to budget smarter than the rest of the SEC, but I don't think you can evaluate the return on investment in our WBB program just by ticket sales & what's on paper.
    Nailed it. You pay out your arse for that kind of exposure. From a media/sponsorship standpoint, that’s worth way more than $4 million annually. If we become a perennial final four team and challenge or win a national championship, there’s zero reason to reduce our “losses” in the women’s basketball program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post

I agree. That UCONN game coupled with Dak Prescott in the stands cheering the women on probably generated enough revenue to pay Coach Schaefer's salary. Robin Roberts was wearing a State jersey on Good Morning America before the Final Four and she gave all kind of exposure to our program after the win.
    I know for a fact that applications for admissions jumped right after the UCONN game as they do for all big wins in other sports. I always like to ask students what made them decide to go to Mississippi State and some of the answers are as simple as seeing the women beat UCONN. They definitely generate a lot of positive exposure for our school.

vCash
    Vic is a rare catch for sure. That man has some energy and fight in him.