Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men's B-Ball Team

vCash
    I dont get all the hate for X.

Yes hes taken some bad shots but the last thing I think he is is a ''me'' guy. He plays harder than anyone else on the team IMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post

Yes hes taken some bad shots but the last thing I think he is is a ''me'' guy. He plays harder than anyone else on the team IMO
    He plays hard. I'm fine with him if he would accept the Michael gholar role and understand he's not Kobe freaking Bryant. He should never shoot a jumper unless he is both wide open and catching a pass and shooting in rhythm.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Howland needs to make some lineup and rotation changes. It will lead to a couple of transfers but that's the nature of college basketball and we have 3 good recruits coming in.

Need to start:

G: Nick
    G: Q
    SF: X
    PF: Holman
    C: Ado

These 5 guys are our best 5 players. Barring foul trouble they need to play the majority of the minutes!! Bring in Datcher for frontcourt rest. Bring in Tyson Carter for backcourt rest. That's it. Don't play anyone else.
    You want to play only 7 guys. GTFO of here with this. Nobody plays only 7 dudes all year long. Your obsession with a minuscule playing rotation is bordering on insane. Ado and Holman will be in foul trouble 90% of the time in your system. We won't develop any sort of bench whatsoever by banishing players 8-13 to Siberia during games. Playing in games is the best possible development for any player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post

I'm on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. I don't understand all the love for him, and I think he IS a "me" guy. Here are the team stats for the year -

He's near the bottom in FG % as well as 3 point %.

If you look at the time he's played compared to how many shots he takes, he's near the top of the team in shots per minute played.

X has taken 109 shots in the 211 minutes he has played, that's an average of .51 shots per minute played.
    Comparing that to a much higher percentage shooter, such as Q who has played 478 minutes with 219 attempted shots, you can see Q actually averages less shots per minute at .45. Why would a much worse shooter be attempting proportionally more shots?

Even looking at some other teammates with much higher shooting percentages, he still attempts more shots per minute.
    Q - .45
    Holman - .44
    Nick - .37
    Ado - .17
    Datcher - .19

Carter shoots more per minute but has a higher shooting percentage (.52).

Only Peters and Wright have worse shooting percentages (this shows another problem we have in Peters with the high shot rate). I still believe in Peters as we know the talent is there, he's just a head case and COULD get it together. X doesn't pass the eye test for me. Sure he plays hard, but he's just not that talented comparatively.
    Peters - .60
    Wright - .35

What do people see in X? I just don't understand.

Edit: Made picture bigger, also I only included players with at least 100 minutes played.
    Last edited by Cloak; 01-11-2018 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
    X has taken 109 shots in the 211 minutes he has played, that's an average of .51 shots per minute played.
    Comparing that to a much higher percentage shooter, such as Q who has played 478 minutes with 219 attempted shots, you can see Q actually averages less shots per minute at .45. Why would a much worse shooter be attempting proportionally more shots?

Even looking at some other teammates with much higher shooting percentages, he still attempts more shots per minute.
    Q - .45
    Holman - .44
    Nick - .37
    Ado - .17
    Datcher - .19

Carter shoots more per minute but has a higher shooting percentage (.52).

Only Peters and Wright have worse shooting percentages (this shows another problem we have in Peters with the high shot rate). I still believe in Peters as we know the talent is there, he's just a head case and COULD get it together. X doesn't pass the eye test for me. Sure he plays hard, but he's just not that talented comparatively.
    Peters - .60
    Wright - .35

What do people see in X? I just don't understand.

Edit: Made picture bigger, also I only included players with at least 100 minutes played.
    He has elite athleticism and he is 6-6. He plays hard. The question isn't is he All-SEC, but is he a better option than Carter, Wright, and Peters? I would have to say yes. He's 8th on the team in average minutes per game. This is wrong, imo. I agree that some of his stats are poor, but he also missed 3 games against some of the cupcakes. Also, he has dominated in practice at times. I just think if he got 30 minutes per game, we would see a lot more production and better quality play out of him.

vCash
    Yeah, maybe some time off to get his head straight. 17% from 3. 30% from the field. 57% from the foul line. 44 assist, 33 turnovers. Plus he had the 3 game suspension. And I just don't like his body language.

Turn over the Point to Nick.
    Thanks for reading coach. We are moving Nick to PG and putting Q back to off guard.

vCash
    Thanks for reading coach. We are moving Nick to PG and putting Q back to off guard.
    I like this move. Nick is a much more natural point, and I think it'll up Q's production.

I still don't like the idea of X getting more playing time though. I don't think he has elite talent, he takes terrible shots at an alarming rate, and has a "me first" (from what I've seen and from what the stats say) mentality.

vCash
    O that?s not what we are seeing. What we are seeing is a lack of playing time together and immaturity from a young team. We are also seeing impatience and lack of support from our fans because people want to label something immediately as a failure if it takes a while to build.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    I like this move. Nick is a much more natural point, and I think it'll up Q's production.

I still don't like the idea of X getting more playing time though. I don't think he has elite talent, he takes terrible shots at an alarming rate, and has a "me first" (from what I've seen and from what the stats say) mentality.
    I don’t know what you view as elite talent but Stapleton’s athleticism is elite. His dunking ability alone would rival Dr. J’s in his prime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I don?t know what you view as elite talent but Stapleton?s athleticism is elite. His dunking ability alone would rival Dr. J?s in his prime.
    He can definitely dunk, I'll give you that. No one comes close during Maroon Madness. I just don't think he is a good team basketball player.

vCash
    He can definitely dunk, I'll give you that. No one comes close during Maroon Madness. I just don't think he is a good team basketball player.
    Needs more minutes

vCash
    What all was said? Nick to pt, q to 2? Peters getting mins cut?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    At present we have 8 Four-star players and 2 three-star players.

From a pure talent standpoint that is probably the most talented (on paper) team that we have fielded in basketball in well over a decade.

Howland was pretty successful at his two stops before MSU but while at UCLA (towards the end of his tenure there) there was a lot of smoke regarding lack of discipline on the team.

Are we seeing that continue here? Is that maybe why our team hasn't come together? I just don't know if I can believe that Howland has suddenly lost his ability to coach....unless he has lost control of his players.
    Stars mean nothing, and never have. Heck I could assign stars like the "gurus" do. If you are investing faith in "stars" your faith is misplaced. I'd say that is especially pronounced in basketball. "Stars" are based on evaluations by internet guys of players in HIGH SCHOOL. I never put my faith in them till after see them in NCAA competition. The perfect example is Renardo Sydney. He was a star in high school, he sucked in college. I don't see a whole lot of talent on our current team, outside of NICK Weatherspoon and Abdul Adu. They are both raw, but have tremendous potential. The rest are bit players at best. Now a team with two guys with tremendous potential and a bunch of bit players can do a LOT in the NCAA. We had a team like that that went to the Final Four. This one ain't getting there, based on current performance. At this stage I'd have said the same in 96.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 01-12-2018 at 10:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What all was said? Nick to pt, q to 2? Peters getting mins cut?
    Will Sammon, CL report. Nick is going to start handing the ball more. Q can focus more on scoring. Sorry I don't have a link.

vCash
    He has elite athleticism and he is 6-6. He plays hard. The question isn't is he All-SEC, but is he a better option than Carter, Wright, and Peters? I would have to say yes. He's 8th on the team in average minutes per game. This is wrong, imo. I agree that some of his stats are poor, but he also missed 3 games against some of the cupcakes. Also, he has dominated in practice at times. I just think if he got 30 minutes per game, we would see a lot more production and better quality play out of him.
    The reason he is 8th in minutes played is because of several factors. One he fouls to damn much. Stupid ass not picky fouls that shouldn’t ever happen and that puts him on the bench. Second, he throws up some 3 that has no chance to go in or blows a wind mill 360 dunk in a game that 2 pts is more important than him show boating. Third, he blows a defensive assignment that costs us pts. And every time he fouls somebody, he didn’t do it! And when he goes to the bench damn near every time he’s gonna act like a teenager that doesn’t get his way.

Banned
    vCash
    All I know is that we suck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Stars mean nothing, and never have. Heck I could assign stars like the "gurus" do. If you are investing faith in "stars" your faith is misplaced. I'd say that is especially pronounced in basketball. "Stars" are based on evaluations by internet guys of players in HIGH SCHOOL. I never put my faith in them till after see them in NCAA competition. The perfect example is Renardo Sydney. He was a star in high school, he sucked in college. I don't see a whole lot of talent on our current team, outside of NICK Weatherspoon and Abdul Adu. They are both raw, but have tremendous potential. The rest are bit players at best. Now a team with two guys with tremendous potential and a bunch of bit players can do a LOT in the NCAA. We had a team like that that went to the Final Four. This one ain't getting there, based on current performance. At this stage I'd have said the same in 96.
    This is one of your dumber posts Liverpool. This team is definitely talented.

vCash
    Stapleton has been bordering on dismissal for awhile. Bad chemistry and many off the court issues. Addition by subtraction.

vCash
    He is momentum killer in games. Basketball IQ is nonexistent