Thread: The one that got away (basketball)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Strick forced it one year too soon. I was glad to see him leave. I hope you are right about Howland being our best ever basketball hire.
    From the time Stricklin sat down with Stansbury to the time he fired Ray in basketball he absolutely dropped the ball in the basketball coaching search. We are just now recovering from Stricklin's dumbassedry. Scott Drew the Baylor coach wanted our job. Kenny Payne wanted to bring World Wide Wes and start Kentucky 2.0 here but probably even dirtier. Joe Dooley wanted our job and he's had 4 straight 20 win seasons at FGCU. Kermit Davis wanted our job and he won 31 games last year with MTSU. Stricklin took it upon himself to hire Ray though. Literally nobody in the country knew who Rick Ray was. Perhaps Stricklin caught word that the NCAA was wanting to come after us after years of speculation about Stansbury being dirty and thought it best to pull a Croom type hire. Who knows as only Stricklin does. Move on from the frustration of that process though. Stricklin has. He's now worried about hiring Florida's football coach. He couldn't give two shits about Stansbury and you shouldn't either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    From the time Stricklin sat down with Stansbury to the time he fired Ray in basketball he absolutely dropped the ball in the basketball coaching search. We are just now recovering from Stricklin's dumbassedry. Scott Drew the Baylor coach wanted our job. Kenny Payne wanted to bring World Wide Wes and start Kentucky 2.0 here but probably even dirtier. Joe Dooley wanted our job and he's had 4 straight 20 win seasons at FGCU. Kermit Davis wanted our job and he won 31 games last year with MTSU. Stricklin took it upon himself to hire Ray though. Literally nobody in the country knew who Rick Ray was. Perhaps Stricklin caught word that the NCAA was wanting to come after us after years of speculation about Stansbury being dirty and thought it best to pull a Croom type hire. Who knows as only Stricklin does. Move on from the frustration of that process though. Stricklin has. He's now worried about hiring Florida's football coach. He couldn't give two shits about Stansbury and you shouldn't either.
    Are you SERIOUSLY arguing we should have brought WWW in? My arguments are based on my source 61. What he says AIN'T rumor 61. What he says is FACT. I have others. My impression from all of them is that Rick actually lost the team LONG before Sid ever set foot on campus. That's why I laugh at all you idiots that blame Sid. Heck he wasn't the REAL troublemaker on THAT team when it came to disrespecting the coaches. I had a great up close view of the bench during those years. The REAL trouble was a bit shorter. My old coach Dad spotted it quick, and it was obvious.

Banned
    vCash
    Are you SERIOUSLY arguing we should have brought WWW in? My arguments are based on my source 61. What he says AIN'T rumor 61. What he says is FACT. I have others. My impression from all of them is that Rick actually lost the team LONG before Sid ever set foot on campus. That's why I laugh at all you idiots that blame Sid. Heck he wasn't the REAL troublemaker on THAT team when it came to disrespecting the coaches. I had a great up close view of the bench during those years. The REAL trouble was a bit shorter. My old coach Dad spotted it quick, and it was obvious.
    Point to the part in my post where I said I wanted WWW to run our basketball program. Dee Bost was the main locker room problem. It isn't some super secret mystery only a few are privy to knowing.

vCash
    Point to the part in my post where I said I wanted WWW to run our basketball program. Dee Bost was the main locker room problem. It isn't some super secret mystery only a few are privy to knowing.
    Well well, you ain't totally stupid then. (Kenny would have meant WWW though) Had we waited ONE year things would have been different. Strick caved, and it cost him. That's why I'm laughing at him now. If Mullen follows him to Florida, and I DO NOT see that happening, he deserves all that he would eventually get down there.

As for Bost, you are one of the very few I have ever seen that recognized THAT, and it was freaking obvious. Rick lost the locker room before he ever set foot on campus though. People like you and 34 may eventually recognize that what you THINK I have argued all these years isn't what you think. My only arguement was timing. At Kentucky or Kansas it may be understandable running a coach off after a NIT year, nationally it isn't at a place like MSU.

Banned
    vCash
    Well well, you ain't totally stupid then. (Kenny would have meant WWW though) Had we waited ONE year things would have been different. Strick caved, and it cost him. That's why I'm laughing at him now. If Mullen follows him to Florida, and I DO NOT see that happening, he deserves all that he would eventually get down there.

As for Bost, you are one of the very few I have ever seen that recognized THAT, and it was freaking obvious. Rick lost the locker room before he ever set foot on campus though. People like you and 34 may eventually recognize that what you THINK I have argued all these years isn't what you think. My only arguement was timing. At Kentucky or Kansas it may be understandable running a coach off after a NIT year, nationally it isn't at a place like MSU.
    Well you're gonna have to talk to Stansbury about that one year you got robbed off cause he's the one that stepped down. He wasn't fired technically. He resigned. He chose to resign over replacing any of his assistants. Your angst is with Stricklin for demanding he let an assistant go and it is ALSO with Rick Stansbury for choosing to resign instead of having to tell one of his buddies he was letting them go. Nobody expected Stansbury to choose resigning over firing an assistant. Not even Stricklin saw it coming. That's why the basketball search was so ****ed from the beginning. It was a way for Stansbury to stick it to Stricklin. It worked. So a big reason for MSU sucking in basketball for the last five years is because of Rick Stansbury. Had he fired an assistant it would of allowed Stricklin a full year to start searching for a replacement and things would have been much different or hell Rick mighta actually saved his own career the next season. Nobody will know though because Stansbury decided to be a bitch about it and he quit.

vCash
    Well you're gonna have to talk to Stansbury about that one year you got robbed off cause he's the one that stepped down. He wasn't fired technically. He resigned. He chose to resign over replacing any of his assistants. Your angst is with Stricklin for demanding he let an assistant go and it is ALSO with Rick Stansbury for choosing to resign instead of having to tell one of his buddies he was letting them go. Nobody expected Stansbury to choose resigning over firing an assistant. Not even Stricklin saw it coming. That's why the basketball search was so ****ed from the beginning. It was a way for Stansbury to stick it to Stricklin. It worked. So a big reason for MSU sucking in basketball for the last five years is because of Rick Stansbury. Had he fired an assistant it would of allowed Stricklin a full year to start searching for a replacement and things would have been much different or hell Rick mighta actually saved his own career the next season. Nobody will know though because Stansbury decided to be a bitch about it and he quit.
    Come on 61. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it?s a duck. He was fired, forced out, asked to resign, etc. It was not voluntary.