Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
What your go-to for blackening seasonings? I do blackened rainbow trout from time to time and usually just throw a mish-mash spices and herbs in a high-rimmed dish and coat the suckers liberally. But I'd be interested to know if there's a specific blend of stuff that you like to include in yours.

That brisket looks amazing, dude. I do big briskets a few times a year, too, and am always amazed at how flavorful a cut it is. In fact, I'm doing one this weekend that my butcher dry aged for about a month. I super stoked.

What do you use for your rub? And what wood do you prefer using? I use the Meathead's "Big Bad Beef Rub" as a base and make a couple of small tweaks. For wood, I usually stick with all hickory, but I've had good results with pecan and mixes of either hickory or pecan with smaller amounts of fruit wood, like apple or cherry.
For my blackening seasoning I usually use Paul Prudhoom (sp?) redfish magic of Tony's Blackening. For my brisket rub I made my own using 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup garlic salt, half cup pepper, half cup chili powder, half cup paprika, 2 tablespoons onion powder, and 2 tablespoons of cumin. That's approximately. I have plenty of extra for next time I do ribs or something like that.