Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
Well they don’t care about Ks if you bring a 10+% BB rate with it so your OBP is .350+. If he can hit .250-.260 with an OBP north of .350, he’ll have a long career. If he hits .230 with a sub-.300 OBP, he’ll have a few years but when it comes time for arbitration and/or free agency, he’ll have trouble finding and keeping a job.

A guy like mark Reynolds does walk 10+% of the time and has similar contact issues and power as Renfroe and Reynolds has played for 6 teams in the last 6 seasons since reaching free agency. Chris Carter is another one with a 10+% BB rate, lots of power, and lots of Ks and similarly he hasn’t been able to find a long term gig since hitting free agency. Renfroe will get his chance to improve but teams only “don’t care about Ks” is a bit of bullshit. They don’t care to an extent if your BB rate is high enough. But it’s also shown that big power/big K guys don’t age well, because as that bar speed slows down around 30, they have a hard time maintaining value because they have to guess even more at pitches. Re from needs to get the K rate under 20% and the BB rate up to about 10% if he wants to cash in on that post-team control contract.
I agree I'm basing it on the fact I believe hunter will improve and also he has more to offer than just a power bat. Heck bj upton has made millions and stuck around forever and he's not good at anything but not hustling lol