The Egg Bowl rivalry is toxic only because Ole Miss made it toxic.

They're a sad lot. They were good in the 1960's and then integration changed that. The only thing that they had to hold on to was "Well, at least we're better than Mississippi State". Then Jackie and Dan said "Hold my beer". When we've been better than them they have completely freaked out and gone all out as far as cheating goes- and it has blown up in their face. It may very well destroy their football program- at least for a decade.

Honestly, they're the worst fans in the SEC. It's like the worst of Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas (Little Rock version) all wrapped up in one batshit crazy fan base with Auburn's bag men running the show. It's pretty crazy how different they are from us even though we are in the same state. And this isn't bias- I've heard this from other SEC fans as well.

They'll say something "good natured" on a message board making fun of MSU- but then a MSU says something "good natured" back and they try to sue the guy and get him fired.

I think there are some sane Ole Miss fans but they are outnumbered by various lunatic fringe and have no real power. And if they do have any power they are being lied to about how bad things are to the point where it gets so far gone they can't do anything about it.