Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
While I value your post, you under-simplified college coaching. While talent evaluation is important, it's not anywhere near the toughest part. Managing scholarships with the current and active roster is the toughest. All the great programs go after the best players. Getting them to sign, is way harder than evaluating the prospect. Getting them on campus is a crap shoot at best. We can have a scout, an ex agent worker or whoever, and that's just a miniscule piece of the puzzle. Being able to relate and recruit the player no matter the background is where it's at- hell nick mingione upped our recruiting and he's none of the above. Sign as many great players as you can, (see vandy) lose a butt pile and hang onto 1 or 2 if you are lucky. Then play chess with the scholarships. And that's tough! With all that said, I'm a big fan of AC and the new addition appears to be a solid add, but neither are going to make a kid going in the top 2-3 rounds chance their minds very often, if ever.
I agree but I just didn't want to go that in depth with it. I think the scouting aspect helps a lot of times in knowing signability which is an advantage that Cann gives us that Mingione and Burroughs didn't. I think that's a big reason why Cohen got burned a lot more by the draft than Corbin and others typically. I don't expect Cann to get very many if any guys drafted in the top 10 rounds and very few from rounds 11-15. But 16 to 40 I think we will keep more- or at least maybe keep more of our college juniors.