Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce pearl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    Just being year 3 won't fix our roster problems and talent issues. We get nothing from the 4 or 5 position. Herard has moments but he still has a ways to go. And we're pinning all our hope on 2 guys (Ado and Brooks) that have scored a total of 0 pts in college.

We don't have anyone at the 2 or 3 who is explosive. Q is not quick enough to be who we thought he was going to be. And virtually everyone on the team lacks key defensive skills when it comes to fundamentals ---helpside D, rotating on screens, defending down screens, etc.

I just see a lot of holes going into next year and don't see it being fixed with this roster. That's why I'm hoping howland really hits the grad transfer market this offseaseason. We desperately need guys who are physically and mentally ready.
    This is just asinine. Stick to golf. Ado is light years ahead of Herard and will move Herard to where he should have been to begin with (coming off the bench). Q should improve and when Carter gets some weight on him will be another good player for us. Kegler, Wright, and Stapleton will all improve and could provide us with that 2 or 3 that is explosive. Stapleton isn't even fully healthy (should reach 100% by next year). You guys forget that these kids haven't even been through a full weight training offseason. Peters and Nick Weatherspoon will also be a hugely dynamic guard duo in the SEC and I think Brooks makes a good contribution next year. The talent is here. Seasoning and our S&C program need to kick in now IMO but the talent is there.

vCash
    No freshmen have the skills you are talking about Golf. Those are learned in college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    This is just asinine. Stick to golf. Ado is light years ahead of Herard and will move Herard to where he should have been to begin with (coming off the bench). Q should improve and when Carter gets some weight on him will be another good player for us. Kegler, Wright, and Stapleton will all improve and could provide us with that 2 or 3 that is explosive. Stapleton isn't even fully healthy (should reach 100% by next year). You guys forget that these kids haven't even been through a full weight training offseason. Peters and Nick Weatherspoon will also be a hugely dynamic guard duo in the SEC and I think Brooks makes a good contribution next year. The talent is here. Seasoning and our S&C program need to kick in now IMO but the talent is there.
    I really hope you're right. Malik Newman has made me very cautious getting my hopes up on 1st year guys. He was rated higher than anyone on our roster and the incoming guys by far

vCash
    You need to understand that outside of the private schools in the South, no one runs a "offense". It's all isolation and run the court. That's what AAU ball has done to the South in terms of basketball. It's a bunch of isolation, drive or shoot the three while everyone else stands and watch. This is all these kids know.

vCash
    The biggest problem on D is communication which comes with time and experience. I think had we played zone until we mastered the man to man D that Howland harps on we would have been in much better shape this year. I don't think we need to shape up the roster as much as get an assistant who can teach sound zone principals so we give other teams a variety of defensive looks. Man to man is so difficult because if one player is out of position it will make the hole team look bad. But to reiterate no players in today's basketball world come out of high school with those defensive fundamentals you mention Golf. Even Kentucky struggles with this fact.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I really hope you're right. Malik Newman has made me very cautious getting my hopes up on 1st year guys. He was rated higher than anyone on our roster and the incoming guys by far
    Newman was a perfect storm of coming into a top heavy team full of seniors that thought they were the shit thus creating chemistry issues and him getting a nagging injury (turf toe) pre-season that lingered throughout the year. That caused us to not see his full potential as a freshman.

vCash
    So you guys still don't think this roster has talent? Really?

vCash
    So you guys still don't think this roster has talent? Really?
    I haven't ever said that. I can see lots of talent, but I also see mental lapses, poor guard defense, and not enough guys that can drive to the basket. Hopefully experience and nick help out here

vCash
    I haven't ever said that. I can see lots of talent, but I also see mental lapses, poor guard defense, and not enough guys that can drive to the basket. Hopefully experience and nick help out here
    Was more talking about Golf's message saying we have talent issues. But believe it or not, we do have fringe fans who think Howland will fail at MSU and that he is washed up. I'm more referring to some on the SixPackSpeak board that tend to rear their head on here from time to time.

vCash
    Was more talking about Golf's message saying we have talent issues. But believe it or not, we do have fringe fans who think Howland will fail at MSU and that he is washed up. I'm more referring to some on the SixPackSpeak board that tend to rear their head on here from time to time.
    I think howland will win, but I don't think it's next season. I think Q's senior year, we finally break through into the NCAA and have a really good year. I think we're an NIT team next season.

vCash
    I think howland will win, but I don't think it's next season. I think Q's senior year, we finally break through into the NCAA and have a really good year. I think we're an NIT team next season.
    You will see a lot of gems in that "We just play streetball" thread. Who is that bruiser guy?

vCash
    I will be the one that said I ****ing told ya so... so go ahead and book mark this..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I will be the one that said I ****ing told ya so... so go ahead and book mark this..
    Which way?

Banned
    vCash
    I'm sick of waiting on Howland to deliver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    lol it's been two years and he lost most of his team from last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    So what's the prediction? We win sec next season?

vCash
    If everyone returns that is supposed to, we'll be pretty good next year. Probably NIT/NCAA bubble with 2019 being the big year. The thing about next year is that we'll have quality depth everywhere. That's something we don't have this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Hahaha

This is essentially year 1 for him, and he's fielding the youngest team in the country. I expected to see us build off of a decent early SEC start, and was disappointed when we didn't...but acting like Howland is taking too long is hilarious. That would be like saying " Cannizaro isn't getting it done fast enough", right now bc we lost to Morehead, ha....bc he took over a much better situation than Howland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    If everyone returns that is supposed to, we'll be pretty good next year. Probably NIT/NCAA bubble with 2019 being the big year. The thing about next year is that we'll have quality depth everywhere. That's something we don't have this year.
    I agree.

The Q injury plus having zero interior depth has hurt. I don't think people realize how huge it will be to have Herard, Ado, and Brooks as post options vs Herard and Datcher. That will keep them fresh and provide more rebounding which will lead to less easy buckets and second chance points for opponents. It will also add second chance points and easy buckets to our offense. It's a game changer just to have talented bodies down low.

And Our backcourt should be hell to deal with. Just gotta play D...but that's MUCH easier when you have Ado AND Herard behind you to be a wall versus guys driving on you. I'm telling you, Ado alone will make us much better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I agree.

The Q injury plus having zero interior depth has hurt. I don't think people realize how huge it will be to have Herard, Ado, and Brooks as post options vs Herard and Datcher. That will keep them fresh and provide more rebounding which will lead to less easy buckets and second chance points for opponents. It will also add second chance points and easy buckets to our offense. It's a game changer just to have talented bodies down low.

And Our backcourt should be hell to deal with. Just gotta play D...but that's MUCH easier when you have Ado AND Herard behind you to be a wall versus guys driving on you. I'm telling you, Ado alone will make us much better.

Two things that will make us better next year.
    1. Having a post player that can receive a pass and finish at the rim.
    2. With today's rules, we must be able to mix some zone in with man defense.