Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Gainer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Y'all melt over the dumbest shit for football. It'd be difficult to find a more insignificant decommit from us in the last five years than this guy. Y'all just keep poking that Hev dead horse. Whine about it till Dan fires him seems to be the strategy being used by about five very active posters. It's annoying. Please stop. We all want Hevesy fired but we don't have to keep posting about it like we have Will James Tourettes.
    Excellent post!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Good heavens I thought we had relieved Hevesy from being anyone's primary recruiter. If we haven't we are idiots.
    What? TBuck is his primary. I thought that was clear

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    If wish Mullen would fire Hev just to shut some of you the hell up!!! Jeez! Y'all b*tch and moan like women.
    Meow......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We are a year removed from starting a converted DT at Left Tackle and you wanna argue Guard/Tackle with me? Please, we'll take whatever we can get on the OL, & we all know it. And if it's so easy to find an upgrade, why don't we already have one committed in January with several spots open? Not nearly as cut & dry as u try to make it
    ^^^THIS^^^ I have no clue how bad this is. Maybe we have a better option all but locked up. But to act like it doesn't matter because he's a guard is idiotic. Twice we have had to play people out of position at OT because we literally didn't have another 17ing option. And thank goodness Siddoway panned out or it would have been more. We need an excess of guards so that when we have to playh somebody out of position, we can choose between DTs, TEs, and OGs for options.

Besides that, I call BS on being full at OG. When you recruit people that almost always require three years to play at a serviceable level, then you can always use more. Too many things can happen (injuries, grades, transfers, etc.) to leave you scrambling, and since it takes us three years to get a HS recruit ready and a year and a half to get a JUCO recruit ready, we simply can't afford to come up short on options. Much better to be processing players than to having to make do with a RS freshman or JUCO transfer that is not ready to play.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    If wish Mullen would fire Hev just to shut some of you the hell up!!! Jeez! Y'all b*tch and moan like women.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Reason2succeed again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Y'all melt over the dumbest shit for football. It'd be difficult to find a more insignificant decommit from us in the last five years than this guy. Y'all just keep poking that Hev dead horse. Whine about it till Dan fires him seems to be the strategy being used by about five very active posters. It's annoying. Please stop. We all want Hevesy fired but we don't have to keep posting about it like we have Will James Tourettes.
    i think maybe we don't really want this Guy. Could be we have found better prospects. Recruiting, is there anything that people know less about but freak out more. $hit we signed Dillon Day as an afterthought, Just like E Jenkins. Beckwith was another under the radar Guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    I'll say this, as a former OL, I like Jordan Rhoades a heckuva lot better then Scott Lashley's film last year. No way Rhoades is a 3*.

And something I want to speak on. Everyone gets so upset about Lashley, "LT of the Future". If that's the case, why did the guy not play LT for West Point? He played RT. And had the worse pass protection footwork I've seen. And now he's playing guard at Bama. Also, I'm glad Bama paid up for him as it allowed us to go get Simmons.

Another prospect I will tell you is not a 4* prospect, and Todd is going to hate this, but it's Nick Hogan at NWR. I saw 4 games this year and I never saw the kid drive anyone off the ball. He stands straight up. It's bad. But you know what, people are going to gripe if we don't go get him because he's a 4* guy and from NWR even though he isn't a SEC player. Same thing I said about Damien Robinson, Jake Thomas, etc. He will be next year's Grant Harris. All the fans want him because he's a Dandy or high rated player; but isn't really a SEC player.

Go get Bateman, Rhoades, and Tucker. Those guys are studs.

There's a reason why the OL taken in the NFL (out of 15 taken, 9 were 3 stars and under) are generally not 5/4 star guys. I'm not sure who is evaluating them.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    i think maybe we don't really want this Guy. Could be we have found better prospects. Recruiting, is there anything that people know less about but freak out more. $hit we signed Dillon Day as an afterthought, Just like E Jenkins. Beckwith was another under the radar Guy.
    As with most things in life, there's two sides to every coin. While we've hit on some under the radar guys, we've also taken a chance on many that ended just taking a roster spot and not much more. I have no idea if we told this guy to look elsewhere but the track record is there at this point to raise an eyebrow at the very least.

Hevesy is a decent to good o-line coach that gets production from his players. That's the good news. But as a veteran Mississippi high school coach told me last summer at the beach he's the worst recruiter he's ever been around. Not worst Mississippi State recruiter, the worst recruiter period. As he told me, "the players don't like him, the parents don't like him and the coaches don't like him." Hard to recruit when you have that going for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    There's a reason why the OL taken in the NFL (out of 15 taken, 9 were 3 stars and under) are generally not 5/4 star guys. I'm not sure who is evaluating them.
    Not many 5 star o-lineman exist. Probably only 7 or 8 each year I would guess. So the numbers are skewed.

edited: great breakdown of 5 star recruits and their chances of getting to the NFL. Bottom line, you are better off with as many 5 stars as you can possibly get. Unfortunately, there's not many of them to go around:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...tball-recruits
    Last edited by gtowndawg; 01-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    As with most things in life, there's two sides to every coin. While we've hit on some under the radar guys, we've also taken a chance on many that ended just taking a roster spot and not much more. I have no idea if we told this guy to look elsewhere but the track record is there at this point to raise an eyebrow at the very least.

Hevesy is a decent to good o-line coach that gets production from his players. That's the good news. But as a veteran Mississippi high school coach told me last summer at the beach he's the worst recruiter he's ever been around. Not worst Mississippi State recruiter, the worst recruiter period. As he told me, "the players don't like him, the parents don't like him and the coaches don't like him." Hard to recruit when you have that going for you.
    Actually until Rankin, I think the misses have been mostly the higher rated guys including the 4 stars. Which honestly OL is hit and miss but we have to sign several this year to make up for not signing enough prior

vCash
    Not many 5 star o-lineman exist. Probably only 7 or 8 each year I would guess. So the numbers are skewed.

edited: great breakdown of 5 star recruits and their chances of getting to the NFL. Bottom line, you are better off with as many 5 stars as you can possibly get. Unfortunately, there's not many of them to go around:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...tball-recruits
    That's a good breakdown but that's for all positions. OL is a little different beast. Probably the biggest bust area or QB of all position groups but would need to study the numbers.

vCash

I've been told the same thing by some of the best of the HS Coaches.

Banned
    vCash
    It's kinda amazing that in the state with the most fat people per capita we can't find any decent fat bodies for the OL. South Dakota State recruits better offensive lineman than us. Shit I just contributed to this dead horsey my bad

vCash
    This post is what RP coined a few weeks back:

"Lather, wash, rinse, repeat" or something similar.

Fire Mullen****

I wonder how we won so many games under Mullen, I mean he is a lazy recruiter, he meddlers too much, is ify calling plays, he is from the north and must be an asshole, doesn't want to be in Starkville, can't keep coaches and whatever else the agenda is about******

I know we haven't beat anyone****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

Fire Mullen****

I wonder how we won so many games under Mullen, I mean he is a lazy recruiter, he meddlers too much, is ify calling plays, he is from the north and must be an asshole, doesn't want to be in Starkville, can't keep coaches and whatever else the agenda is about******

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to basedog again.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    What? TBuck is his primary. I thought that was clear
    It was clear for Gainer. My point was that I thought we had relieved Hev of any duties as a primary recruiter so I hope its clear for all our recruits that Hev is not their primary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

Fire Mullen****

Yep

vCash
    This is pretty much the consensus. Its actually fortunate for us that OL is the toughest to evaluate or our OL situation would be worse than it is. We stumble onto some good OL just because they develop better than most would have thought and some of the OL we lose out on that are higher rated do bust. If OL were more easily assessed we would be worse off because we consistently sign the lowest rated OL in the SEC thanks to our buddy Hev. The guy is a better than average coach but you can only do so much with what we are able to sign that are willing to play for him. If there has ever been a subject to b*tch and moan about like women its this one. Personally, I'm not crazy about the idea of him representing my university when he recruits given how he presents himself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Beckwith was another under the radar Guy.
    Beckwith was a Walk on, I can't remember if it was a preferred walk on or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    This is pretty much the consensus. Its actually fortunate for us that OL is the toughest to evaluate or our OL situation would be worse than it is. We stumble onto some good OL just because they develop better than most would have thought and some of the OL we lose out on that are higher rated do bust. If OL were more easily assessed we would be worse off because we consistently sign the lowest rated OL in the SEC thanks to our buddy Hev. The guy is a better than average coach but you can only do so much with what we are able to sign that are willing to play for him. If there has ever been a subject to b*tch and moan about like women its this one. Personally, I'm not crazy about the idea of him representing my university when he recruits given how he presents himself.
    I'm done bashing Hev. It's 100% on Mullen now. If he has no issues with our O-line or O-line recruiting then it's on him. It's pointless to blame Hev b/c he's not going to leave on his own. There's probably a reason why no one has tried to hire him away like happened with several of our d-coordinators, Tony Hughes, and recently Brian Johnson.