Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mullen MSU working on Extension

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    And it is just as plausible that - like most coaches and athletes - Dan lets his agent handle most of this after the initial "are you interested". That's why you have agents.
    Just as plausible as it is agents keep their clients up to date regularly on negotiations- and it's especially easy with the advent on text messaging

"Cohen is still saying 2 more years but the last 2 arent guaranteed. They won't up the buyout. I'll let you know if something changes"

This isn't 1984- clients get updated immediately these days

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Just as plausible as it is agents keep their clients up to date regularly on negotiations- and it's especially easy with the advent on text messaging

"Cohen is still saying 2 more years but the last 2 arent guaranteed. They won't up the buyout. I'll let you know if something changes"

This isn't 1984- clients get updated immediately these days
    And outside of 2010 (which was done in Dec), the other extensions have all been finalized in February or March. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/m...sion/24094359/

Note the "The two parties began negotiations after the regular season. Preparation for the Orange Bowl, National Signing Day and then postseason vacations all interrupted talks. The two sides remained confident throughout the discussion that a deal would get done. Each time he was asked about the negotiations, Stricklin pointed to the fact an agreement was reached in the five previous offseasons. This one was no different."

Yes last year was different, but it looks like we are back to normal routine this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    If anyone actually thinks Oregon chose Taggert OVER Mullen then they are beyond help.
    If anyone thinks someone not named T-Boone Pickens is going to pay Dan Mullen $5 million a year to be their head football coach while also paying a $9 million buy out then they're beyond help. I know Knight has money, but nobody in their right mind would pay $18-$20 million over the next two years for him. That's what this would've cost them. That's absurd for anyone to begin to believe that they'd do that.

Also, CDM's base contract isn't all he gets from the University. He makes a lot more money too some of which is paid directly to other people. If I had to guess, and it is a guess, he's making north of $5 million a year in Starkville. And that's a conservative guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    If anyone thinks someone not named T-Boone Pickens is going to pay Dan Mullen $5 million a year to be their head football coach while also paying a $9 million buy out then they're beyond help. I know Knight has money, but nobody in their right mind would pay $18-$20 million over the next two years for him. That's what this would've cost them. That's absurd for anyone to begin to believe that they'd do that.

Also, CDM's base contract isn't all he gets from the University. He makes a lot more money too some of which is paid directly to other people. If I had to guess, and it is a guess, he's making north of $5 million a year in Starkville. And that's a conservative guess.
    And that much money in MS goes a lot further than in Eugene, Oregon.

vCash
    I'd say most schools aren't going to pay $5M because most schools simply don't pay that much period, but I seriously doubt the $9M payout has that much of an affect on the decision. Certainly for some schools the fact that they had spent $9M on a buyout would mean they have to go lower with the next salary offer. But I doubt Oregon is one of them. I think the question is whether you want Taggert at $XM or Mullen at $4.5+. The only way the buyout would have come into play is maybe reminding them that with no sure things after Saban and Meyer, they would be wise to roll the dice with a less accomplished coach in exchange for lower risk on the buyout.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I'd say most schools aren't going to pay $5M because most schools simply don't pay that much period, but I seriously doubt the $9M payout has that much of an affect on the decision. Certainly for some schools the fact that they had spent $9M on a buyout would mean they have to go lower with the next salary offer. But I doubt Oregon is one of them. I think the question is whether you want Taggert at $XM or Mullen at $4.5+. The only way the buyout would have come into play is maybe reminding them that with no sure things after Saban and Meyer, they would be wise to roll the dice with a less accomplished coach in exchange for lower risk on the buyout.
    They aren't paying north of $4.5 million, which is the floor. He's making over $5.

image.jpg

vCash
    That's tiny, but someone can enlarge it. For context... Everyone should understand now.

vCash
    Mullen was very smart to throw the extension comment out there. Notice he said "I think"

If he doesn't get one now after not getting one last year it makes the situation look bad. He just forced our hand
    Mullen is not negotiating in the press. The only reason he brought it up is because he knows it's being worked on.

vCash
    I hate it when these types of threads devolve into pissing contests because someone has to be right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I hate it when these types of threads devolve into pissing contests because someone has to be right.
    You're so wrong for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    If anyone actually thinks Oregon chose Taggert OVER Mullen then they are beyond help.
    If I recall correctly Bammer talked to Mullen before they hired Saban. Dan said he was happy in FL *****

vCash
    If Oregon took Taggart over Mullen they are dumb as hell. Dude is 40-45 over his career as a head coach at WKU and USF. And he's 0-2 in bowl games. Mullen is 60-42 in the toughest conference and division in football and 4-2 in bowl games.

I get that Taggart has had a couple good years, but Mullen is a much better and more proven coach. Can you think of anyone that if starting a team they would Taggart over Mullen? Hell no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOATHEBears View Post
    Wait just a darn minute. Are u telling me not all I read on elitedawgs is true?
    Well, since the "expert", "in the know" statements are often conflicting ... I suppose one should make up one's own mind to answer that question.

vCash

The Helfrich buyout is a sunk, fixed cost. Unless Knight is working with a fixed budget -- he isn't -- why would that factor into future salary considerations? As soon as Oregon bought out Helfrich, they knew that 9 million was out the door and gone. What's the difference to Knight between paying the future coach 4/20 and 4/14?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Well, since the "expert", "in the know" statements are often conflicting ... I suppose one should make up one's own mind to answer that question.
    https://twitter.com/LandryFootball/s...58481994186752

The knock on Mullen comes out again

vCash
    Don't know much about Landry. Is he usually reliable? A lot of folks can take to twitter and speculate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Don't know much about Landry. Is he usually reliable? A lot of folks can take to twitter and speculate.
    He is a scout that lives in Baton Rouge and went to LSU. Former Houston/Tenn scout then was a radio host for 10-15 years had his own scout company during this time.

vCash
    Thanks Clark. Still wonder how accurate he is as a general rule.

vCash
    https://twitter.com/LandryFootball/s...58481994186752

The knock on Mullen comes out again
    Maybe those comments will encourage him to recruit better.