Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotta "Dan Mullen to Oregon" talk right now...

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I've yet to find anyone credible say he's a serious candidate. I've seen some people say they should go after him or he would do good there but nobody says he's in their top group of names or he's interviewed or close to it. Oregon 247 did an article today saying they were close to making a hiring names about 5 or 6 coaches Dan wasn't mentioned. They did leave themselves an out saying it could be somebody out of left field. I just haven't seen any legitimate smoke to yell fire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    What begins? Bloggers, site guys, media etc. having throwing his name out there for a while now as a possibility. There is nothing with any legs even stating he is a legit target or interview. We know they have interviewed Taggert and Harison
    The rumors begin... calm down
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I've yet to find anyone credible say he's a serious candidate. I've seen some people say they should go after him or he would do good there but nobody says he's in their top group of names or he's interviewed or close to it. Oregon 247 did an article today saying they were close to making a hiring names about 5 or 6 coaches Dan wasn't mentioned. They did leave themselves an out saying it could be somebody out of left field. I just haven't seen any legitimate smoke to yell fire.
    I still want Mullen to come out say hell no it isn't true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Does he have to deny every rumor for you to be satisfied? His comments since the egg bowl have been more than enough for me.

Remember, a coaches statements denying jobs mean nothing- Tubberville is not currently in a pine box.

vCash
    He'll never do it, it's not his style. He's arrogant.

Banned
    vCash
    This is just speculation. Mullen ain't going to Oregon.

vCash
    McElwain did and he is still being rumored as one of their candidates and even fringe rumors that he is actively now trying to get the job behind the scenes. It won't stop writers throwing stuff out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    This is just speculation. Mullen ain't going to Oregon.
    It's possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I don't want to lose Mullen but at this point I'm not going to freak out if we lose a coach that just went 5-7 and can't keep a decent DC on staff. Yes, Mullen is a great developer of QBs but he is also an average recruiter that apparently no defensive coach wants to work for. If he leaves he leaves and if he stays he stays. We can certainly do a lot worse than Mullen but we can also do as well or better if we make the right hire.
    That's a big big IF....
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    This. Mullen is set with Fitz and ATrain and he knows it. He ain't going anywhere. Next year will be an 8 win season and the next sets up to be another HUGE year. Then he could have a springboard to some serious jobs. He ain't going anywhere til then.

vCash
    He picked a bad year to go 5-7

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    He'll never do it, it's not his style. He's arrogant.

By who's standards.....not by mine. I just consider him having a big ego which most head coaches have.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I've always thought Georgia was stupid for not wanting Mullen. He's 3x the coach of Smart and would have them in Atlanta consistently. But I'm glad others with big decision making power don't have that perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    He ain't going anywhere. Next year will be an 8 win season and the next sets up to be another HUGE year.
    We will not be an 8 win team next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Off Topic do you preferre the Australia or French kiss with you are with a chic?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    That's a big big IF....
    Its a big if because I don't know how competent the folks are for MSU that would end up making the hire, not because the hire couldn't be made. I mean let's not act like if Mullen left we would be losing a championship coach. When you take Mullen's positives and negatives together he is a good head coach, not a great coach. With Mullen our program will normally live in the 6-8 win range which, given our past, I'm certainly good with. We will have the outlier 5 win year like this year or the 9-10 win year like 2014 when everything lines up just right and we have a top QB but the 6-8 win year is the norm. Recruiting at a higher level and retaining a very good DC would elevate Mullen but he has not shown in 8 years that he can do those 2 things. Plus there is the Hevesy factor to deal with especially on the recruiting trail. No, I don't want Mullen to leave but I just don't see any reason to flip out if he does leave. If other top P5 schools truly saw Mullen as a top line coach someone would have already really come after him. But they haven't, and I don't expect Oregon to do so either.

Banned
    vCash
    Why not?

vCash
    My take is, some of Oregon's success coincided with USC's downfall. USc is back...Washington is clearly back...Washington State is even good by P12 standards, Stanford has been a player for several years now, etc.

With Dan...although he is FANTASTIC as some things, he seems to have an unwillingness to adapt or learn from some of his mistakes. He makes the same ones year-after-year-after-year...and it pretty much costs us a couple of losses per year over and above the ones we should lose, like Bama, at LSU, etc.

Oregon, due to their recent success, is looking for a coach who will lead them back to dominating the Pac12 and put them back in national contention. If Dan goes there and continues to blow a couple of games a year that they should win...they'd turn their backs on him rather quickly, IMO.

vCash
    Way too early to know, you never know how much a player can or will improve from one year to another, nor do you know who may emerge from the signing class.