Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: This is what it comes down to for me

vCash
    Wait, we're supposed to compete for the SEC west every year? Like Alabama? Sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Harbor View Post
    That place is not far from being the cesspool that is Jackson.
    I'll admit that I've never been there. Group of my friends asked me to go while we were at state, I didn't make it. Anyway either my group really made up how great Colombia was to make me wish I had gone or they had differing opinions than you on Columbia. They went in '98 and they loved it. I should've talked from experience, rather than hearsay though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phatdog View Post
    Wait, we're supposed to compete for the SEC west every year? Like Alabama? Sure.
    If I recall correctly, Mullen himself said for the first few years and in 2014 that he came to State to "compete for championships".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOATHEBears View Post
    Actually bayoudawg is correct. 25 is the correct number but if we sign 22 one year we can sign 28 the next
    You can sign 25 people enrolled during a calendar year. That is how they "count back" on the previous year. If you sign 20 in February then you can sign 5 in December. If you have 6 in December then 1 would count for the next February signing class. Overall you are only allowed 85 on scholarship at a time.

vCash
    Stolen from another board...

1985: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1986: 6 wins
    1987: 4, LOSING RECORD
    1988: 1, LOSING RECORD
    1989: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1990: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1991: 7 wins
    1992: 7 wins
    1993: 4, LOSING RECORD
    1994: 8 wins
    1995: 3, LOSING RECORD
    1996: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1997: 7 wins
    1998: 8 wins
    1999: 10 wins
    2000: 8 wins
    2001: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2002: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2003: 2, LOSING RECORD
    2004: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2005: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2006: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2007: 8 wins
    2008: 4, LOSING RECORD
    2009: 5, LOSING RECORD
    2010: 9 wins
    2011: 7 wins
    2012: 8 wins
    2013: 7 wins
    2014: 10 wins
    2015: 9 wins
    2016: ??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    Stolen from another board...

1985: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1986: 6 wins
    1987: 4, LOSING RECORD
    1988: 1, LOSING RECORD
    1989: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1990: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1991: 7 wins
    1992: 7 wins
    1993: 4, LOSING RECORD
    1994: 8 wins
    1995: 3, LOSING RECORD
    1996: 5, LOSING RECORD
    1997: 7 wins
    1998: 8 wins
    1999: 10 wins
    2000: 8 wins
    2001: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2002: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2003: 2, LOSING RECORD
    2004: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2005: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2006: 3, LOSING RECORD
    2007: 8 wins
    2008: 4, LOSING RECORD
    2009: 5, LOSING RECORD
    2010: 9 wins
    2011: 7 wins
    2012: 8 wins
    2013: 7 wins
    2014: 10 wins
    2015: 9 wins
    2016: ??
    We will never return to that. We now play 12 games. 3 should be automatic wins and we have SEC money to help get us a 4th if we schedule well. Our permanent from the East has been down, and we've owned them for the most part, so that's 5. We just have to beat 1 team in the West or the other team in the east, to get to 6 every year. That's not automatic, but to ask a coach to win 3 of his 9 competitive games isn't much. Unfortunately we can't win our easy games right now.

How much did we pay USA to come embarrass us again? Anyone know?

What kills me is that we're paying $4.5 million per year and people don't have a higher level of expectations just because Dan has done better than what we've done historically. History means jack in this instance. We now have money to pay a real coach to win, so he'd damn well better win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    Except on this board. Do you not remember the "Checkdown Charlie" moniker that Coach34 assigned to Dak? I believe he also said Dak could learn something from Fitz about throwing the deep ball.
    I never saw him say Fitz was better than Prescott. I saw he said Fitz threw a better deep pass than Prescott. QB's do a lot of things- and just because Fitz throws a better deep ball than Checkdown Charlie doesn't mean he is a better QB. Your reading comprehension needs work

vCash
    So there has been a small handful of coaches recover out of the hundreds fired. Ok.

We'll see where we are in November

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    We will never return to that. We now play 12 games. 3 should be automatic wins and we have SEC money to help get us a 4th if we schedule well. Our permanent from the East has been down, and we've owned them for the most part, so that's 5. We just have to beat 1 team in the West or the other team in the east, to get to 6 every year. That's not automatic, but to ask a coach to win 3 of his 9 competitive games isn't much. Unfortunately we can't win our easy games right now.

What kills me is that we're paying $4.5 million per year and people don't have a higher level of expectations just because Dan has done better than what we've done historically. History means jack in this instance. We now have money to pay a real coach to win, so he'd damn well better win.
    Who is a coach that you can say with 100% certainty will win "x" amount of games consistently every single year at MSU, while also guaranteeing to never have a dumb loss or to never lose the opening game of the season?

vCash
    Fire the Dud, we want Hud. ***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    You don't lose to south Alabama in year 8 and recover.
    Historically, you are correct. (S. Alabama being the generic term for any team that wins that type game)

This is what worries me.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOATHEBears View Post
    So let's play with this. Who from this list are possible candidates:
    Kyle Whittingham
    Lane Kiffin
    Mack Brown
    Les Miles...figure he is done, needs a good OC however
    Larry Fedora
    Petrino

Throw others out I'm just throwing head coach experience
    None
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    It wasn't a "buy" game. It was a 2-for-1.
    Leicester Till I Die

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Ok. Here is another. I saving this one. JWS lost to ULM and then the run and west title happened.

ETA. The post said nothing about where or what conference. They said NO coach has ever done it. And the second time it happened to Beamer he was in the ACC.
    Good points. JWS also had a tie against Arkansas State and a loss to Louisiana Tech before that great 4 year run happened. The tie was in year 3, ULM (at the time they were Northeast Louisiana) was year 5, and the La Tech loss was in year 6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Well research and find why it happened to those teams. And the post had noting to do with any of that. It was that it has never been done. Period. That's not true.
    That's NOT what my post said, I said I had looked and couldn't find any, but maybe someone could. I considered Jackie's deal, but didn't want to start an argument, but now will explain why I didn't include that.

Yes we made a run, but benefited by a weaker than normal SEC west. But truth be told, if State doesn't beat Alabama in 96, he was gone. Then catch a break by playing OM in a monsoon.

Jackie saved his own ass by hiring Joe Lee. By the end of the year, Joe Lee had those guys believing and playing balls out on defense.

Then the program imploded anyway 4 years later. So the program didn't get better long term.

Now, some how Mullen needs to save his own ass, but he won't have the benefit of a weak SEC west. And nothing I've seen has lead me to believe there is a Joe Lee on staff to help him.

AGAIN, unless Mullen has an off the field issue, or goes 0-12, i don't for a minute believe he will be fired this year, and IMO, he like Jackie, has earned the right to try and fix it.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I didn't know about the 85 limit? I remember when they PASSED that man. I bet you don't. If you have 30 open scholarships you can only fill 25 of them in one year. You still haven't answered, or attempted to answer, exactly why we are in that shape. We undersigned last year because we did NOT have enough open spots at the time. Paul Jones kept telling people that over and over last year leading up to signing day. You might actually have a good reasons to be angry, but undersigning last year isn't one of them.
    You can put 25 players on scholarship any given calendar year, but early enrollees can count back to the previous class. We signed 2 or 3 guys last December that counted back towards the '15 class, and still had about 19 or 20 spots available for February signees this year. We only filled like 12 of those spots. We have undersigned the past two years mainly due to epic failures in not closing strong and having no plan B. Just this past year we missed out on AJ Brown, Lashley, Raekwon Davis, Cushenberry, that WR that we got from TX that decommitted and went to Oklahoma, and several others. Not having spots available has never been the problem. This has been covered ad nauseum over the past 8 months, so if you are not aware of the current situation with the shortage of scholarship players then honestly you haven't been paying attention.

vCash
    If it's so easy to win 6 games then why have only 5 sec teams been able to do it the last 6 years(we are one of them) it's not as easy as everyone saying it is. That being said we gotta do better.

vCash
    Mullen isn't getting fired unless he goes Sandusky or something. But, he could be encouraged to take a tv gig like Urban did for a couple years and that gives us all a clean break. If we have a losing record, I think that's what happens.

vCash

How much did we pay USA to come embarrass us again? Anyone know?.
    We paid them 150k to come beat us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    So there has been a small handful of coaches recover out of the hundreds fired. Ok.

We'll see where we are in November
    I just listed a few to illustrated that the statement was incorrect. Why don't you just take the medicine and acknowledge it was incorrect? And while you are at it, how do you know the numbers is small? You didn't even know it was any. And are you going to include all the coaches that never got the program's going from day one? That's a big difference than our situation.