Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feel like I wasted hours watching our basketball game Sat afternoon on ESPN3

vCash
    Bottom line is we have no shotmakers. Our defense is normally decent although we certainly looked lost at times this past Saturday. Either got beat with backdoor cuts or on a few occasions just left somebody all alone standing under the goal. And that doesn't even account for the times that we left perimeter guys wide open for a 3 (but that is more routine for us). Our guards, on the road especially, are useless for scoring. Daniels, Ware and RJohnson were our only double digit scorers this last game. The sad part was that it was pretty obvious that Tulane is NOT a good team. I expect another loss this Saturday at Oregon State. You can't hardly play good enough defense to make up for our pathetic offensive skills on the road.

vCash
    If you follow any of the SEC teams, outside of Kentucky the rest of the conference is garbage. Heck, even Arkansas who was ranked 18th looked terrible at Clemson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Malik would bring fans back to the gym, but I just don't think Ray has brough in enough pieces around Newman to entice him to sign.
    I'd think Weatherspoon and Velma Jackson beating Calloway and him outplaying Malik would work in our favor quite a bit...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I'd think Weatherspoon and Velma Jackson beating Calloway and him outplaying Malik would work in our favor quite a bit...
    Spoon is pretty good. That and just playing close to home. He also knows he will have the opportunity to be the man and get his shots. I just wish we had another big man to help Ware out down low. I would put our chances below 50%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Malik would bring fans back to the gym, but I just don't think Ray has brough in enough pieces around Newman to entice him to sign.
    I know everyone thinks that signing Malik somehow makes us a tourney team, but I don't see it. Maybe he would, but it would be a stretch. Also, he better make the tourney, because lets dream for a second that Malik does come, that will be Ray's one shot. Reason is that we lose Sword, Ware, Fred Thomas, Travis Daniels, and Malik in one season? Im worried we would be right back to the 2013 season.

If anything, Ray better get Malik because we aren't making tourney this year, and next year is the last year of talent that has shown the ability to do anything. Its 2015/16 or bust at this point.

vCash
    It was terrible. Our shot selection was so bad it was infuriating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I know everyone thinks that signing Malik somehow makes us a tourney team, but I don't see it. Maybe he would, but it would be a stretch. Also, he better make the tourney, because lets dream for a second that Malik does come, that will be Ray's one shot. Reason is that we lose Sword, Ware, Fred Thomas, Travis Daniels, and Malik in one season? Im worried we would be right back to the 2013 season.

If anything, Ray better get Malik because we aren't making tourney this year, and next year is the last year of talent that has shown the ability to do anything. Its 2015/16 or bust at this point.
    That's because Ray had Stans' recruits the first year and then the next 2 years were very weak as Ray was trying to figure out how to recruit at his new job. Seems to have things going pretty well now but, you are correct, after next year it will be a major youth movement again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    You up for another 10-15 year argument? It's Malik or bust at this point for Ricky Ray. he needs Zuppardo back healthy and Malik next year. He gets those two and we could be a top 4 team in the SEC, make the tournament, and potentially make a tourney run.
    Well I don't argue basketball in fact I don't argue on message boards. I have learn to listen to C-34 when it comes to State Basketball. When he gives up on Ray than I will give up on Ray.

vCash
    The main problem I have right now is the offense we are trying to run I think is really designed for talents he doesn't have. We have no outside shooting and we are a poor passing team. That makes it extremely difficult to get the ball into Ware, which is our primary goal on offense.

Now teams are thus going to continue to play us a lot of zone, but anybody that goes man I would like to see us be much more attacking toward the basket. One thing we do have is some better athletes this year than can pound the offensive glass and get garbage buckets. We should try to take 10 or less 3's a game and simply try to live in the lane. It wouldn't always be pretty because we don't have a lot of creators but we've got a find a way to jumpstart the offense against teams of equal size.

Our good shooting games came against teams that were physically overmatched for the most part and those games are now off the schedule. It's hard b/c the eye test says we're much better athletically but the #'s are turning around with that.

Personally I'm a big fan of being PG driven unless you have STUD shooting guard/small forward that can handle the ball. And while both our PG have positive A:TO ratios they aren't really creating a bunch of shots for the offense based on their play.

vCash
    On a positive note, we've gone a couple weeks without anyone blowing out a knee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    On a positive note, we've gone a couple weeks without anyone blowing out a knee.
    +1

vCash
    I would bet we missed over 10 point blank layups against Tulane. When that happens it is just one of those days. Take Z Bo for instance on days he can't make a layup is it because all of a sudden he can't shoot, or is it just one of those days. Roz's missed a bunch himself.