Thread: Lots of wool in this post

vCash

Lots of wool in this post

We will go 10-2 this year. Here's why.

1) 9 of 11 starters on offense (Robinson and Wilson) started at least one game last year. 10 of 11 starters on defense (Brown) started at least one game last year. No one else in the conference has that kind of experience returning. Starters feel the pressure and having done it gives a different level of confidence.

2) Every player on the defensive two deep and all but two (Myles and Carter) on offensive two deep saw significant playing time last year. In sports as in battle, the experience of having been through it significantly improves your approach. Listening to the younger players talking about their dedication to the system in the off season shows that the experience of playing gave them heightened maturity.

3) This is the first year that Mullen has had five full recruiting classes that he recruited on campus. His first year he had to play a lot of skill position players because of need. They left with Croom's last class after the 2012 season. Then last year, he had only four fifth year senior starters. When you are a developmental program, which we have been of necessity, then having mature depth is especially important. If we start winning more and start signing five star guys then it is less important, but for our program it is exciting that we finally have five full classes of Mullen recruits.

I believe we can beat everyone we play this year. However, I believe we will lose to Alabama on the road. For the other loss, I can?t decide between @ LSU, A&M, Auburn or @ TSUN as the other loss. I haven?t been this fired up since 1977 when we were coming off a 9-2 season and were pre-season top 10. That was when the NCAA came down on us and ruined the team's morale.
    Last edited by 1bigdawg; 08-29-2014 at 11:10 AM.

vCash
    Myers?

vCash
    assuming he meant Myles?

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I think how well we do this year is all related to the offense and how successful they are. This is pretty simple, but I think if we can have a 3rd down conversion rate greater than 45% and score off opponents turnovers greater than 50%, we will have a great season. Past 3rd down conversion rates for reference:
    2009 33.1
    2010 45.9
    2011 38.7
    2012 34.8
    2013 39.0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    assuming he meant Myles?
    Correct and corrected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I think how well we do this year is all related to the offense and how successful they are. This is pretty simple, but I think if we can have a 3rd down conversion rate greater than 45% and score off opponents turnovers greater than 50%, we will have a great season. Past 3rd down conversion rates for reference:
    2009 33.1
    2010 45.9
    2011 38.7
    2012 34.8
    2013 39.0
    With that 3rd down conversion rate (over 45%) and turnover ratio (over 50%) we'd beat Alabama. To increase the opportunity to convert a 3rd down, the team needs to put themselves in better positions.... less 3rd and 8's and more 3rd and 1's.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    With that 3rd down conversion rate (over 45%) and turnover ratio (over 50%) we'd beat Alabama. To increase the opportunity to convert a 3rd down, the team needs to put themselves in better positions.... less 3rd and 8's and more 3rd and 1's.
    DD, we currently sit at 46.6 % for third down conversions and we've scored 11 times off opponents 21 TO's (7 TD's, 4 FG's)...

vCash
    Hope OP is wrong. 10-2 would suck at this juncture.

vCash
    This thread should be closed at this point.