Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hitting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Baggage and all, his voodoo is apparently working at ULL.

We can take him off the board.

Would you hire a pure hitting/offense coach? If so, who?

If not, how do we fix the problem we have?

(My tone is frustrated tonight not argumentative because our Million dollar coaching staff just got beat at ULL by their 250,000 staff (baggage and all))
    I think that's a good question.

I'll just say this- if we were to hire him, we need to understand that he comes with baggage and are going to have to deal with it and understand that there are consequences with that. Some of our fans will probably be OK with that- and some maybe not. Sort of like when we first hired Cohen- I think the Polk supporters knew Cohen would win, but in doing so he may do some things that they didn't like.

The other issue with us is if we hired him, we would have to let either Mingione or Wells go. I don't think Mingione is an all-world coach, but he is a really good recruiter and our recruiting started to pick up when we promoted him. Wells I have no opinion of good or bad.

Honestly, if it were me, I would not hire a pure hitting coach AT THIS TIME. Simply because we've had a pattern of success with our players developing, produced a first round draft pick, a guy that led the SEC most of his senior year. The issue was not hitting in terms of getting hits. It was getting extra base hits. We had games where we had 11-12 hits and 3 runs or less. You get that many hits, that's not what I would call bad hitting. But if you don't get extra base hits, it's not going to translate into as many runs.

Which I think leads to your question about how do we fix the problem- recruiting. And you recruit guys like Humphreys, Swinarski, Vallot even though he probably won't come, Austin Riley, etc. We're recruiting guys with power, but they have to develop as a players in general. Will Clark in 1983 was not Will Clark 1985. Even though he was still really good in 1983, you get my point. The guys that we have on this team that are seniors that came to us as freshmen committed to us after three losing seasons. The guys that we're getting now are guys that have seen us in Omaha and SR's. When you have a pattern of success you get better players- including hitters. And we're seeing that happen.

I think all things considered when you look at what we have done in the past, and what we have coming in and you look at the team we had this year- I really think this year was an anamoly. And I think it would be knee jerk to hire or fire or whatever at this point IMO. We will be a better hitting team next year with more power- still not like ULL, but better than this year, and then we will be even better the year after that, and on and on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Dawg View Post
    2013 SLG - .385
    2014 SLG - .341

2013 HR - 30
    2014 HR - 16

HR got cut in half, not double G4S
    I was referring since the middle of the current season. But I'm glad I made you waste time looking it up.

Banned
    vCash
    2014 HR - 16 MSU
    2014 HR - 66 ULL
    Avg starter weight tonight

MSU - 193 lbs
    ULL- 194 lbs

vCash
    Not really a duel when what is clearly an offensive problem... what is clearly a statistically bad play... is defended by the resident expert. It's like we dont actually see the results of these things he just wants to be "right" in a vacuum.
    All those bunts that ULL did that have cost them runs this year. Why can't we have an offense like that says Will James?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    if we were to hire him, we need to understand that he comes with baggage

Simply because we've had a pattern of success with our players developing

1. Exlpain this baggage to us
    2. So much success we are still below average offensively and at the bottom of extra base hits

Banned
    vCash
    All those bunts that ULL did that have cost them runs this year. Why can't we have an offense like that says Will James?
    How many times must I explain that bunting hurts worse hitting teams MUCH MORE. Willful ignorance is still ignorance.

vCash
    1. Exlpain this baggage to us
    2. So much success we are still below average offensively and at the bottom of extra base hits
    1. Read between the lines. I think everyone else on here gets it.
    2. And still won 39 games. #Cohening

vCash
    Avg starter weight tonight

MSU - 193 lbs
    ULL- 194 lbs
    How bad does Rea skew those numbers?

Banned
    vCash
    1. Read between the lines. I think everyone else on here gets it.
    2. And still won 39 games. #Cohening
    Wow 39!! And a 2 seed too! Many here do not accept mediocrity like you I guess

vCash
    How many times must I explain that bunting hurts worse hitting teams MUCH MORE. Willful ignorance is still ignorance.
    As many times as I have to explain that I'm talking about bunting for a hit and not sac bunting. Speaking of willful ignorance.

Banned
    vCash
    How bad does Rea skew those numbers?
    Taking each team's largest out becomes MSU-183 ULL- 188.. Clearly a 40 HR difference there.

vCash
    Wow 39!! And a 2 seed too! Many here do not accept mediocrity like you I guess
    Top 25 out of 300 teams is mediocre? Like you know anything other than mediocrity.

But I haven't been banned on here at least twice for stupidity, so what do I know right?

Banned
    vCash
    As many times as I have to explain that I'm talking about bunting for a hit and not sac bunting. Speaking of willful ignorance.
    Back to this again... How many years now is it?

It's laughable.. I'm sure WMD is laughing his ass off right now if he is reading

vCash
    Back to this again... How many years now is it?

It's laughable.. I'm sure WMD is laughing his ass off right now if he is reading
    It is laughable how you don't get it.

I point blank asked WMD if he was OK with bunting for a hit- and he said he was fine with that.

Unlike you he understands baseball though, so I'm not too surprised.

Banned
    vCash
    It is laughable how you don't get it.

I point blank asked WMD if he was OK with bunting for a hit- and he said he was fine with that.

Unlike you he understands baseball though, so I'm not too surprised.
    I am too you blithering idiot its NEVER BEEN ABOUT BUNTING FOR HITS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU SAY IT

vCash
    I am too you blithering idiot its NEVER BEEN ABOUT BUNTING FOR HITS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU SAY IT
    Well then you should stop bitching about when we try to bunt for a hit then. Check that- even show bunt and aren't bunting. Otherwise, I will call you out.

I'm pretty sure you are too ignorant to know the difference. At least that's my hope.

Put down Bill James. Watch Tom Emanski and the Baseball Bunch.

Banned
    vCash
    If we were doing offense right we would have better offensive results

Banned
    vCash
    Well then you should stop bitching about when we try to bunt for a hit then.
    If we don't have the ability/skill to bunt for a hit... WE SHOULDN"T. You're like the HS coach that calls for bunts, watches them fail, then get frustrated with the result.. If you cant do it, you CANT DO IT

vCash
    If we were doing offense right we would have better offensive results
    Yep. Like ULL.

Banned
    vCash
    Yep. Like ULL.
    Indeed.