Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangum hitting 344 in AAA

vCash

Mangum hitting 344 in AAA

What baseball knowledge do I lack to properly understand why JM has not been called up. Miami Marlins had three trash and forgettable OFs and the Rays have one decent/star player.

We have seen 220 hitters get called up. Does his free swing work against him with managers?

vCash
    His batting average is too high for the ML. If he can hit 35 HRs and bat .240, and strike out 160 times in 162 games, he will be an All-Star!

vCash
    He's at the age where he probably won't be given a shot. You don't see a lot of 28-year-olds getting their first shot.

vCash
    Great college player but a career minor leaguer and that?s unfortunate.

vCash
    He actually led the Rays in hitting in Spring training. I don't think Tony Gwynn would have been given a shot in today's game.

I saw a graph of 0.300 hitters in MLB and it went from 40-50 people hitting above 0.300 to about 10 people in the last few years.

vCash
    He's 28 and hasn't been called up. He's just past the age where they're going to give a career minor leaguer an extended chance. Maybe he gets brought up in September or if there's an injury. But he's not going to get more than a cup of coffee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    He actually led the Rays in hitting in Spring training. I don't think Tony Gwynn would have been given a shot in today's game.

I saw a graph of 0.300 hitters in MLB and it went from 40-50 people hitting above 0.300 to about 10 people in the last few years.
    Surely there is a winning strategy for somebody to go back to the original money ball approach of just valuing getting on base. Maybe one OBP guy mixed in with a bunch of HR or SO guys doesn't work, but it seems like you could fill a team at this point of high OBP guys without power that nobody else wants, and nickel and dime other teams to death.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Surely there is a winning strategy for somebody to go back to the original money ball approach of just valuing getting on base. Maybe one OBP guy mixed in with a bunch of HR or SO guys doesn't work, but it seems like you could fill a team at this point of high OBP guys without power that nobody else wants, and nickel and dime other teams to death.
    It's zigging when everyone else is zagging. You also have to remember that these teams are trying to put butts in the seats. Death by a thousand paper cuts is just not an exciting brand of baseball when you're trying to get people to the ballpark in the dog days of summer. And it's the Rays. They need as many butts in the seats as possible.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 05-14-2024 at 09:00 AM.

vCash
    While this is hardly definitive, 6 projectors based on Jake's milb profile, all project him with an ops in the 600s vs mlb pitching. That obviously won't fly.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ja...ts?position=OF

vCash
    Marlins just traded a guy who has almost identical numbers to Tony Gwynn at that stage in his career for a couple of minor leaguers. Oh, the Marlins are also almost paying his entire salary while he plays for San Diego.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It's zigging when everyone else is zagging. You also have to remember that these teams are trying to put butts in the seats. Death by a thousand paper cuts is just not an exciting brand of baseball when you're trying to get people to the ballpark in the dog days of summer. And it's the Rays. They need as many butts in the seats as possible.
    I'm not a big baseball guy, so I'm pretty much by definition not like MLB fans, but man I'd rather watch a bunch of singles and doubles and walks than watch HRs or SOs. Just googling, it looks like teams average a little over one home run per game and around 8.7 strikeouts per game. If I could watch my team strike out 5 times per game instead of 8.5 and get on base more, but have to give up .5 home run per game, I think that'd be more entertaining to me. Not sure what the actual tradeoffs would be, but while home runs are fun, they're not that much more fun to me than watching teams bat guys around the bases. I think I'd actually rather watch a string of singles and doubles create three runs than watch three solo homers. Not sure how minority of an opinion that would be.

vCash
    I'm not a big baseball guy, so I'm pretty much by definition not like MLB fans, but man I'd rather watch a bunch of singles and doubles and walks than watch HRs or SOs. Just googling, it looks like teams average a little over one home run per game and around 8.7 strikeouts per game. If I could watch my team strike out 5 times per game instead of 8.5 and get on base more, but have to give up .5 home run per game, I think that'd be more entertaining to me. Not sure what the actual tradeoffs would be, but while home runs are fun, they're not that much more fun to me than watching teams bat guys around the bases. I think I'd actually rather watch a string of singles and doubles create three runs than watch three solo homers. Not sure how minority of an opinion that would be.
    The problem is mlb teams can turn DPs and position defensively like wizards and so balls in play get 2 outs if they're on the ground.

vCash
    I'm not a big baseball guy, so I'm pretty much by definition not like MLB fans, but man I'd rather watch a bunch of singles and doubles and walks than watch HRs or SOs.
    Strikeouts are boring. Besides that they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. They're more democratic.

vCash
    My company gives free tickets to Colorado Rockies games. So boring that I don't even bother to walk to reception and request them. I don't think Marlins are watchable either. Modern ML is on a suicide path. My kids probably can't name a ML franchise other than cardinals cause they gramps entire wardrobe is Cardinal swag. I miss the ML of my youth.

vCash
    Delete

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The problem is mlb teams can turn DPs and position defensively like wizards and so balls in play get 2 outs if they're on the ground.
    I don't believe anyone is saying the entire MLB are dumbasses for doing with the "HR or K" approach, they obviously have their reasons.

He's just saying it's boring as hell to watch Ks and homers with no grinding ABs or well placed singles through the hole or elite defensive plays that save a run ect.

To me, modern MLB is a little like post Steph Curry Basketball; chuck up a ton of lazy 3s and if we shoot 34% and you 30% we win. No physical post players, no creative offense, no touch defense, just chuck 3s and hopw you make them. Well, "go up to the plate, swing hard, and you'll either K or hit a homer" is similar to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I don't believe anyone is saying the entire MLB are dumbasses for doing with the "HR or K" approach, they obviously have their reasons.

He's just saying it's boring as hell to watch Ks and homers with no grinding ABs or well placed singles through the hole or elite defensive plays that save a run ect.

To me, modern MLB is a little like post Steph Curry Basketball; chuck up a ton of lazy 3s and if we shoot 34% and you 30% we win. No physical post players, no creative offense, no touch defense, just chuck 3s and hopw you make them. Well, "go up to the plate, swing hard, and you'll either K or hit a homer" is similar to me.
    I was hoping the changes to stolen bases would bring some of it back but it hasn't really. I saw a video that started maybe in the 1980s with hitters over 0.300. Started out with 40-60 guys and within the last couple of years, it is getting to single digits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I was hoping the changes to stolen bases would bring some of it back but it hasn't really. I saw a video that started maybe in the 1980s with hitters over 0.300. Started out with 40-60 guys and within the last couple of years, it is getting to single digits.
    Now look how many pitchers threw 95 in the 80s vs now. And hitters rarely see a starter more than 3 times, then it's elite velocity out the pen

Banned
    vCash
    RBIs and wins put butts in the seats. You never see a winning team not have a crowd. Be that by HR or base hits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    RBIs and wins put butts in the seats. You never see a winning team not have a crowd. Be that by HR or base hits.
    The aforementioned Tampa Bay Rays would like a word. 2nd best record in the AL and 4th best record in baseball. Attendance? 27th.