Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
Thanks for proving my point? Their fans aren't "marketing" anything other than arrogance. The school might be selling something else but that's a totally different issue with our marketing department. Their fans are just as cocky and arrogant as their baseball team and act like they've always been some powerhouse and invented the game. Out of the clear blue. And like you said. It's because they have a legit coach. And we are talking about extending our (uncool) coach.

Another problem.

We won't ever compete with their spending. So are we just a second-rate option at this point and aren't doing what we can to make sure we get the evaluations right or make up the difference some how? Is our athletic department to blame then?

You mean like when we made it to Omaha with 4 different coaches? Try holding on to the guy who lost all momentum we had and will bury us again a year from now. Then sell that shit to the same recruits. I realize there will be ebb and flow with each new year and don't expect to be top 5 at all times. It's just clear as day that we aren't competing like we should be when it comes to the portal and having playing time to sell at a program that has proven it knows how to get to Omaha.

I don't expect to land the Skenes, or Montgomery lottery every year by any means. Although with the ties Montgomery had to MS and our program I do feel like that was a fairly big miss. Probably solely because we sucked the previous two years under Lemo. There are a ton of other players that we whiffed on that could've helped immensely. But we pull players that don't contribute one bit like Hoyle.

Your points are conflicting. You complain about recruiting and not doing what we need to take the next step. Yet say we need to extend the same person we are complaining about. I can concede another year (1) on a contract and the smallest buyout we can get him to sign. I just don't believe players are weighing that much of their decisions based on Lemonis' contract details. DVH, Schloss, Vitello, etc... I could see it contributing some. But you're giving too much credit to Lemonis with this IMO and those coaches don't have this problem.

ETA: If a player is waffling on whether or not a year contract extension is long enough then they probably aren't going to be an immediate impact or top contributor that would be gone to the draft the next year any ways.
How many recruits have we lost from our class this time? One? We aren't losing kids, we suck at identifying talent. We'll try to rebuild with the portal but we haven't signed a single big timer in the portal so far. Recruiting hasn't been good like I said. But beyond that, there's no complaint beyond hanging on to Foxy and some minor stupidity. I wanted a new coach last year. Let the money guys I mentioned suffer through it the next couple years. Lemonis isn't getting fired. He gives those guys what they want and they keep him. We missed our chance last year. No kid is signing up to play for a coach one year. Lemonis has one year left on his contract. You extend him two years without and increase in buyout and if he doesn't like it, let him walk.