Thread: Our baseball IQ is pretty damn low.

vCash

Our baseball IQ is pretty damn low.

In all my years I?ve never seen the batter walk and the baserunner make an out by over sliding.must keep watching to see how our next 17 happens. Just like yesterday Dakota just running into second baseman foe a double play.or Dakota throwing home and letting runner advance to second. Shit 12 year old don?t do..

vCash
    We're improved but still poorly coached

vCash
    Pulliam not holding the tag.

Just looked like we were happy to get one.

vCash
    I sure miss having TA, Rowdey, Mangum, etc. Forget their talent, they were "players", "ballers", "dirtbags", or whatever else you want to call them. They didn't make the little mistakes that lead to losses at this level.

Arkansas tried to give us 3 games this weekend and we only took one. This team's results are better than I expected, but I don't think my eyes are lying to me when I see pretty mediocre baseball being played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    In all my years I?ve never seen the batter walk and the baserunner make an out by over sliding.must keep watching to see how our next 17 happens. Just like yesterday Dakota just running into second baseman foe a double play.or Dakota throwing home and letting runner advance to second. Shit 12 year old don?t do..
    i've seen it quite a bit. in fact the rule in high school fast pitch recently was changed to where a walked batter COULD overrun first just like on a grounder as long as they didn't make a move toward second. we've had a play for years where we throw to first on a walk to catch the runner doing this exact thing. and it works. even in the big leagues. i remember jonny damon stealing on a 3-2 pitch and doing a pop up slide into second after ball 4, i believe against the yankees, and when he popped up his foot came off the bag and joe west correctly punched him out. the key is having a defender know to keep the tag on.

but in general your point still stands. we do make some really dumb plays that leave me scratching my head almost every game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    This team's results are better than I expected, but I don't think my eyes are lying to me when I see pretty mediocre baseball being played.
    That's EXACTLY how I feel. Like we keep winning games so ultimately, I can't say we aren't a good team. BUT, we have no 3rd starter, all our bullpen arms are as likely to get lit up as they are to go 2, we have multiple bad bats in the lineup, and we make dumbass mistakes every game that spot the other team an out or 2. Like, we have 2 good starters, have some good bats at the top of the order, and play D. I guess that's enough to be a good team because we keep winning or (or at least going on the road to give a national seed all they can handle), but this seems to be case where the sun of the parts is greater than it should be because we are very very flawed

vCash
    I have never understood why a Coach wouldn't have the hitter bunting when they put the shift on. It is an automatic runner on first. plus if you did it ever time they would quit shifting.

vCash
    I have never understood why a Coach wouldn't have the hitter bunting when they put the shift on. It is an automatic runner on first. plus if you did it ever time they would quit shifting.
    players hate bunting and doing it too much will hurt recruiting
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    players hate bunting and doing it too much will hurt recruiting
    I’m talking bunting against the shift. Or hitting it the other way. Players might not like to bunt but fans hate players hitting into the shift for an out every at bat. Fans also like winning.

vCash
    I’m talking bunting against the shift. Or hitting it the other way. Players might not like to bunt but fans hate players hitting into the shift for an out every at bat. Fans also like winning.
    agree with you completely about hitting the other way. We dont do it near enough.

As far as bunting goes- players just arent going to do it today for the most part. You see them in sac ops miss on purpose or pull the bat back on a pitch down the middle they could easily bunt. Bunting has become a lost art
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    agree with you completely about hitting the other way. We dont do it near enough.

As far as bunting goes- players just arent going to do it today for the most part. You see them in sac ops miss on purpose or pull the bat back on a pitch down the middle they could easily bunt. Bunting has become a lost art
    Nobody does it near enough at any level. MLB players don't do it, college players don't, it's just not a thing, and coaches at any level don't seem to be concerned about players hitting to beat the shift. It's not just us, it's baseball everywhere. And like you said bunting is gone pretty much. When mlb took pitchers out of the lineup it even disappeared there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    That's EXACTLY how I feel. Like we keep winning games so ultimately, I can't say we aren't a good team. BUT, we have no 3rd starter, all our bullpen arms are as likely to get lit up as they are to go 2, we have multiple bad bats in the lineup, and we make dumbass mistakes every game that spot the other team an out or 2. Like, we have 2 good starters, have some good bats at the top of the order, and play D. I guess that's enough to be a good team because we keep winning or (or at least going on the road to give a national seed all they can handle), but this seems to be case where the sun of the parts is greater than it should be because we are very very flawed
    I'd say Pico has emerged as the third starter. It's a matter of stretching him out. Which is going to happen by the regionals because if things keep going the way they are with him- he'll probably be able to go 6 innings at least by that time. When that happens it helps the bullpen. We have a good bullpen but because of injuries they have gotten stretched out at times. Getting Dohm back is exciting. Aside from him we have Auger, Davis, and Hardin. Schuelke can eat innings here and there and is solid when used properly.

If you think we're flawed you should see some of the other teams in the country. LOL.

Anyway odd as it sounds our pitching staff when the regionals start will actually be deeper than our staff in 2021 even though we don't have a generational closer on the team right now.

The biggest issue now is getting Hujsack back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Nobody does it near enough at any level. MLB players don't do it, college players don't, it's just not a thing, and coaches at any level don't seem to be concerned about players hitting to beat the shift. It's not just us, it's baseball everywhere. And like you said bunting is gone pretty much. When mlb took pitchers out of the lineup it even disappeared there.
    Someday someone is going to say - hey let's stop pulling everything and see what happens and they are going to destroy MLB on offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Someday someone is going to say - hey let's stop pulling everything and see what happens and they are going to destroy MLB on offense.
    But will the hitters be able to do it consistently is the question
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18