Thread: Do You Expect More Discipline Issues With "Portal Football"

vCash

Do You Expect More Discipline Issues With "Portal Football"

I reluctantly joined the "BI", but I have many questions about the concepts of "scholar athlete" and team in our new pay up college sports, especially football.

Questions/Concerns:

Charlie said we still monitor progress toward a degree and eligibility as important issues. How many of these free agent mercenaries even care? Many have been at 4 to 5 different schools in 4 or so years. The last two years approximately 50% of portal players have not even found a landing spot, but you don't see the Supreme Court or NCAA addressing these perhaps blown educational opportunities.

Little to no time for development: Sign a well thought of HS player but, he isn't ready to start in year one or year 2, he's probably gone when portal players come in to start from often lesser programs in our case. My late Dad used to take me to Freshman games against other OOC or SEC teams in a 4 game season back in the day and we would be excited to see the talent or potential in some of these players. We would look forward to their future play and even getting to know them and talk to them at Spring games in the future..

NIL: How much does HS recruiting even mean anymore unless the player is an immediate starter/game changer/impact type? Do you give him big $ to sit that first year of two and go free agent again? Jackie often said if you signed a JC player that couldn't start or be a valuable backup in year one then it was a wasted scholarship. How about portal players?

Do we worry less about HS $igning classes and just hope to get them in a year or so as a dissatisfied player who sat on the beach a year or two at bama, AU, or even OOC lower level programs and hope they can start for us at a competitive or winning level?

How do you mesh into a "team" when turning over 40 or more players each year. Jackie was very hit or miss in going heavy JC. Many underclassmen left when going to heavy JC. In the old print "Bulldog's Bite", in a first game bad loss, a transfer KS JC starting DB said that he knew we were in trouble when he was tying his cleats in the locker room and looked around the room and didn't know his teammates names.

Are these one year portal players interested in "team" or "me" in that last year's hope of impressing to make the NFL?

JMO: All things considered above and more, it will take a new type "Portal HC" that I think we have in Lebby and OM cetainly has in Kiffin (If their all in philosophy works thi$ year) to succeed in this mess. I think we have that in Lebby. We as fans will have to buy in for State to succeed also, now. Whether we like it or not. I don't think this "Pandora's Box" will be even partly closed with new regulations. Welcome to that "Wild, Wild, West" we were always warned about.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 05-11-2024 at 12:03 PM.

vCash
    I would say you hit the major points. Probably add some of these kids think getting 20 or 25 thousand dollars is life changing and are going to be difficult to coach. That?s still a nice chunk of money but at college age they will learn it?s not life changing

vCash
    I think high school recruiting is still important because you still need a core group to build around.

With MSU it seems like most of the guys that leave looking for playing time are the ones that are recruited over anyway.

I think as long as a staff is up front and honest with a player and their role on the team and as long as there is a path to start then normally they are going to stay. Even if that means redshirting and then playing special teams for a year and then being the primary back up as a sophomore and then starting as a junior.

Even Ole Miss- where would they have been without Judkins who they recruited out of high school?

The portal can and should be used to fill gaps. But I think it's gong to be like JUCO recruiting where you might end up with 1999 MSU relying on it or you might end up like 2002 MSU relying on it. Don't forget a lot of Ole Miss fans wanted Kiffin gone after 2022 when the wheel fell off at the end of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think high school recruiting is still important because you still need a core group to build around.

With MSU it seems like most of the guys that leave looking for playing time are the ones that are recruited over anyway.

I think as long as a staff is up front and honest with a player and their role on the team and as long as there is a path to start then normally they are going to stay. Even if that means redshirting and then playing special teams for a year and then being the primary back up as a sophomore and then starting as a junior.

Even Ole Miss- where would they have been without Judkins who they recruited out of high school?

The portal can and should be used to fill gaps. But I think it's gong to be like JUCO recruiting where you might end up with 1999 MSU relying on it or you might end up like 2002 MSU relying on it. Don't forget a lot of Ole Miss fans wanted Kiffin gone after 2022 when the wheel fell off at the end of the year.
    Agree with your points. Time will quickly tell if portal based teams can bring sustainable $uccess at OM or even Colorado very quickly. I think I read on the pack that Clemson didn't take a single portal player this round.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

and they wanted a familiar name to replace him.........

vCash
    Golden I think you are correct on many points. But one thing NIL has been happening for a long time in a big way especially at Bama Auburn LSU etc. It’s just now sorta out in the open and it’s legal. Just think back to Albert Means and Bama, remember scam Newton remember the guy at LSU embezzlement of children’s hospital, ole miss buying that player from Georgia. It’s been the Wild Wild West for a long time.

We at MSU were buying a whole house of furniture for recruits moma’s. While at ole mis, Bama, Auburn, LSU they were buying their recruits moma’s the whole house. It’s been just that much disparity between the have’s and have not’s.