Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
The thing is, that some on the board say we cannot just use our past 15 years for comparison because that is not normal for us.
Then we look at the past 40-50 years and we are #11, and moving up on the list of CWS appearances.

It just seems some are trying way to hard here to say MSU is basically less than schools like Kentucky, and that we cannot count the past 12-15 years , unless we count the past 25 years(Polk 2) to bring our average down.
I think that is why personally, I don't think it is a good idea to make coaching decisions on singular things like "winning at MSU standards". Decision making like that is how end up with Texas A&M football. You have to look much more broadly at what is going on. Were the last two seasons acceptable? No. Were they a) indicators of the health of the program; or b) things that could be addressed by changing an assistant and getting healthy/more experience? The people we pay big money to look at these things said B - and it looks like they made the correct decision. They will look again at the end of this season, and at the end of every season.

But - what I think a number of us are trying to emphasize in this discussion is that college baseball as a whole is a different animal then it was even just a decade ago. More money, better players, more teams being competitive/capable of making post-season and the CWS. Many of those changes will likely mean that we actually have more "drop off" seasons then what we have grown accustomed to over the past 10-15 years. Which means you have to be even smarter about your decision making re: management then you have had to be in the past.