Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Umpire in ATL vs P

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It's just like any other technology it will become way more accurate than a human being. They guy scored an 87 on called strikes that were balls, that would be a B in grading. I don't think we want a B effort deciding playoff games. I like these discussions and always enjoy your opinions, Tater, especially on baseball. I coached so long I really have a strong dislike for home plate umpires, so im probably a little biased lol! I have been known to influence a few games over the years, lol!
    Yea I just don't think it's there right now to keep the pace of play needed up. It would have to recalibrate for every hitter. That's a tough ask. So for umpiring, I just ask for consistency. Yea 34/38 on looking strikes calls isn't perfect, but it's better overall than angel hernandez or perry costello lmao. And I have the same strong opinions in the opposite direction. Umpiring got me a lot of cash in my teenage years. Took pride in being consistent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Yea I just don't think it's there right now to keep the pace of play needed up. It would have to recalibrate for every hitter. That's a tough ask. So for umpiring, I just ask for consistency. Yea 34/38 on looking strikes calls isn't perfect, but it's better overall than angel hernandez or perry costello lmao. And I have the same strong opinions in the opposite direction. Umpiring got me a lot of cash in my teenage years. Took pride in being consistent.
    I hear ya. Thank heavens no Angel Hernandez in the playoffs, my goodness that guys horrible, followed closely by laz diaz and cb buckner. And no doubt coaches can be absolute buttholes, lol.

vCash
    Just to add. The umpires who will tell you, "Yeah I mightve missed that one" i had absolutely no beefs with and there's absolutely no need to get on them for that, BUT the guys who thought they were god and never made a mistake(in their mind), different story!

I had one of the best umps I've ever seen tell me that most of the umpiring was about as good as the level of coaches he was dealing with, lol, how can you fuss at a guy like that!

vCash
    Just to add. The umpires who will tell you, "Yeah I mightve missed that one" i had absolutely no beefs with and there's absolutely no need to get on them for that, BUT the guys who thought they were god and never made a mistake(in their mind), different story!

I had one of the best umps I've ever seen tell me that most of the umpiring was about as good as the level of coaches he was dealing with, lol, how can you fuss at a guy like that!

LOL! Cue some Bryan Adams " cuts like a knife ........ "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    [/B]

LOL! Cue some Bryan Adams " cuts like a knife ........ "
    Yep it was one of the funniest things I ever heard on a baseball field.

Banned
    vCash

Yep. Always told coaches that in my line of profession whenever there's a close call someone is gonna say I made the wrong call. I get it. We can discuss it, you can act like you're riling your team up. But nothing you say to me is gonna change it just nothing the other coach will say to me will change my call. It's close, it sucks for you, but I called what I saw.

vCash
    Yep. Always told coaches that in my line of profession whenever there's a close call someone is gonna say I made the wrong call. I get it. We can discuss it, you can act like you're riling your team up. But nothing you say to me is gonna change it just nothing the other coach will say to me will change my call. It's close, it sucks for you, but I called what I saw.
    I really had a lot of great interactions with a lot of excellent umpires and a ton of funny stories from it, but that small percentage that were bad weren?t just bad they were abysmal lol.

vCash
    Yep it was one of the funniest things I ever heard on a baseball field.
    Ranks up there with Polk's "so I went and stood on home plate". LOL!!