Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
Never been a charcoal guy until recently. Got a Weber 22 and love it, but getting temp and longevity out of coals has been an issue. Temp stays way too high and coals die off after an hourish. Need some charcoal tips. Bottom damper stays open to half open, top goes to nearly closed. I wait until the chimney gets white, but it seem like most of the coals are already ashed out by then
Kingsford slow burn really does well for long cooks. For ribs (4-5hr cooks), I’ll dump the chimney coals out and then add fresh charcoal in a pile touching the lit coals. The new charcoal will slowly light and that will get you through ribs. For brisket I use that method but I’ll end up adding more charcoal through the grate to extend the cook time. As long as you don’t use lighter fluid there isn’t any concern adding new charcoal throughout a cook. Honestly, you don’t have to do the chimney until they are white. When the fire touches the top, often times I dump then. I do the bottom 2/3 closed and the top anywhere from half to all the way open. Once I’ve got it rolling I can fluctuate my temps from 225-275 with the top damper only.