Thread: Turkey Season: what's your set up?

vCash

Turkey Season: what's your set up?

Thinking about changing my set up for turkey season. Problem is I haven't been able to find the time to go shoot. When I do get a chance it's raining its arse off. In the past I've shot my 870 with the factory full choke and Federal 3.5 #5s.

Considering going to Longbeard XRs 3.5 or 3" #6s (I've heard most guys see better patterns out of the 3") and a Carlsons Longbeard choke. Anybody on here running the same set up? Any 870 guys have a good set up they'd like to share?
    Last edited by chainedup_Dawg; 02-17-2019 at 01:04 PM.

vCash
    I have an 870, but have not turkey hunted with it since I was in college at State. I have a Mossberg 835 Utility Mag. It has a 3-1/2" chamber, but use Federal Turkey shells 3". It is a factory turkey choke. No hesitation shooting 40 yards. It will roll them over. Thinking about these new turkey shells that people claim to lay them down at 70-75 yards. I have to investigate.

vCash
    I shoot an 870 with a primos jellyhead. I shoot a 3.5 inch Nitro. Blend of 4?s, 5?s and 7?s. Have shot this setup for 6 years now. Never shot a bird over 45 yards but have patterned at 50 yards. 200 pellets in the a 10 inch circle.
    Last edited by LandDawg; 02-18-2019 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    I shoot SBE with Carlson's choke tube and the Long Beard XR 3.5" #4's I believe. Have used this set up for the last 2 seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chainedup_Dawg View Post
    Thinking about changing my set up for turkey season. Problem is I haven't been able to find the time to go shoot. When I do get a chance it's raining its arse off. In the past I've shot my 870 with the factory full choke and Federal 3.5 #5s.

Considering going to Longbeard XRs 3.5 or 3" #6s (I've heard most guys see better patterns out of the 3") and a Carlsons Longbeard choke. Anybody on here running the same set up? Any 870 guys have a good set up they'd like to share?
    Been hunting the same way since I started with my Dad when I was a kid. Same gun just buy her new shells every year

I still use the same 12 ga Remington Model 1100, modified choke, winchester turkey loads 2 3/4 #6s