Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Bourbon wish list

vCash

OT: Bourbon wish list

I want to give several friends bottle of very good bourbon.

I've been told that Bookers is one of the top bourbons? Any other suggestions?

I was a scotch man and I either preferred Scoresby which in comparison very cheap, or Black Label , but both had similar taste. would walk over a bottle of single malt for either one of the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post

I was a scotch man and I either preferred Scoresby which in comparison very cheap, or Black Label , but both had similar taste. would walk over a bottle of single malt for either one of the two.
    I am normally a Hudson's Baby Bourbon drinker but I tried Old Soul this past week and it is outstanding. Very similar to Old Forrester Statesman with a little more depth to it. Well worth a try.

vCash
    I like Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve. Both very reasonable cost wise. If you're looking to spend more nobody is going to complain about a bottle of Glenn Morangie 18 single malt though (usually about $100).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    I am normally a Hudson's Baby Bourbon drinker but I tried Old Soul this past week and it is outstanding. Very similar to Old Forrester Statesman with a little more depth to it. Well worth a try.
    Glad you mentioned Old Soul. I clicked on this thread specifically to see if anyone had tried it. I'll probably pick up a bottle as a gift.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post

I love colonel taylor small batch (drank during egg bowl)
    Weller 12 or 107 antique
    Willet
    Of course blantons and collecting the little race horse tops is fun

I love bourbon!

vCash
    Blanton's

vCash
    I want to be your friend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I like Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve. Both very reasonable cost wise. If you're looking to spend more nobody is going to complain about a bottle of Glenn Morangie 18 single malt though (usually about $100).
    Second the Hayden

vCash
    For the money get you some Weller's Special Reserve.

vCash
    What is very good?

Probably somewhat below the level you're thinking, but I like Jefferson's.

vCash
    So far on this thread, Blantons is the best IMO. Much harder to find these days though. Four Roses Single Barrell is outstanding. Weller 12 year can’t be beat regardless of price but impossible to find.

vCash
    If you are around memphis, Blue Note is a locally distilled spirit and it is dam fine
    Wrap it in Maroon and White

vCash
    Basil Hayden = Smooth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reno hightower View Post
    I love colonel taylor small batch (drank during egg bowl)
    Weller 12 or 107 antique
    Willet
    Of course blantons and collecting the little race horse tops is fun

I love bourbon!
    Just in case anyone didn't know, the horses are at various stages of running. Each has a letter that spells out Blantons and you can email them and send in your tops and they put it on a barrel stave for you for free. You have to have all of the various tops and there are two separate Ns.

I also love Blanton's

vCash
    Blanton's
    Basil Haden's
    Jefferson Reserve
    W.L. Weller Special Reserve
    W.L. Weller Antique
    W.L. Weller 12 Year
    Elmer T. Lee
    Eagle Rare
    Dickle Single Barrel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    So far on this thread, Blantons is the best IMO. Much harder to find these days though. Four Roses Single Barrell is outstanding. Weller 12 year can’t be beat regardless of price but impossible to find.
    Stanley's Liquor off State Street in Jackson usually has it all. Sneaky good place for bourbon--

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    Second the Hayden
    Noah’s Mill is a great bourbon. It is very reasonable and I would pay twice as much. Every bourbon drinker I have shared it with has switched.

vCash
    A lot of rich folk on this board. I’ll take the list with me. Probably Franks in West Point or one of the stork res in Tupelo

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Lots of good advice in this thread. Nothing better than a nice bottle of whisky for Christmas gift, so good for you, shannondawg.

Here are five that I'm never disappointed with and seem to appeal to most whisky fans I know:

Basil Hayden
    Blanton's
    George Dickel Barrel Select
    Eagle Rare
    Weller

That covers you from highish-rye bourbon (Basil Hayden and Blanton's), lowish-rye bourbon, (Eagle Rare), wheated bourbon (Weller), and Tennessee Whisky (Dickel).

Of those, I'd probably be most excited about getting Blanton's. Not because it's my favorite, but because it's more expensive than the whiskies I purchase for regular drinking. After that, Eagle Rare and Weller. Closer to Basil Hayden than Blanton's pricewise, but they're hard as hell to find (especially Weller), at least in my area.

Dickel Barrel Select is approaching not-pricey-enough-to impress territory in some places. (It's $32 at my go-to store.) But it's damn good. Smooth and complex and consistently solid. Stellar blend of 12-to-14-year-old whisky. Dickel's Single Barrel whisky can be amazing, too, and probably has a higher ceiling. But in my limited experience with the stuff -- I shared a barrel in 2017 and another in 2018 -- it's profile is all over the map.

Basil Hayden is, as others have said, smooth. First fancy bourbon I ever had. May be a tad overpriced (usually at ~$40 in my area), but it's always nice.

Happy shopping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reno hightower View Post
    Stanley's Liquor off State Street in Jackson usually has it all. Sneaky good place for bourbon--
    They won’t have Weller 12 year. I know collectors that can’t even get it. Every single store in America that actually gets it, has a waiting list with their preferred customers on it. Get on the list if u can. It’s only about $45 but sells for $150 on the black market. Closest thing to Pappys you can get.