Quote Originally Posted by MaroonWhiteAggie View Post
Howdy Y'all,

We do have some unique and difficult to understand traditions, that I will grant you. With that being said I'd like to try shed a second's worth of light on a general statement to consider with them...Please keep in mind that from 1876 until 1958 A&M was an all male military school. That in combination with the rule that traditions don't change (ever) is why so many of them don't make sense to outsiders (and even some of the student body). I remember attending my first yell practice and thinking that the yells didn't make much sense...until I saw an elderly alum...in his 80's doing the exact same thing, then it all started to click. Most of that stuff was written back in the 1910's & 20's and so forth, they don't translate generationally.

The ring is yet another thing that we get called out on quite a bit. The only real justification for it is the Senior Military Academy mentality. We (as a nation) have the main military academies, West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy...and then there are the six senior military academies: A&M, Norwich, The Citadel, VMI, Va. Tech and so forth... Anyhow, long story short Military Academy Grads wear their rings for life, this is something that the senior military academies picked up and started doing as well. A good friend of mine's grandfather who left A&M to pilot a B-17 in WWII and then came back only took off his ring three times in his life...He mailed it back to A&M twice, once when they made membership in the Corps of Cadets optional, and again in the 60's when they allowed women in. The last time he took it off was to give it to his grandson when he became eligible.

Ok, enough on my school that y'all could probably care less about...and more on y'all. For the past five years a close group of friends and I have had a pretty large tailgate at A&M. Last year we had a great time with some MSU folks and are hoping to again as often as possible. I love the similarities between our two schools all the way down to our colors. Y'all have a great program and an awesome coach. The verdict is still out but some friends and I are going to try to make the trip to Starkville to take it all in. Are there any recommendations that y'all may have?

We had a close relationship in that last horrible conference we were in with Oklahoma State based on the same criteria...big Agricultural schools, etc. I'll be honest, I love pulling for State as long as it ain't against the Ags. I hope we make the trip this year, and we'll be keeping the beer iced down and ready for y'all next year. Hope to see y'all soon.

Hail State! & Gig 'Em,
Bruh we don't like anybody so don't take it personal. That said I think aTm has been a great addition to the SEC.