Quote Originally Posted by dawgman View Post
I fully understand that others at State have bent the rules, but none with the audacity of Tyler. When he knew he was guilty, he got a state injunction to allow Larry Guillard to play. And lo and behold the injunction was overturned and we went on probation, including the forfeits. Looking to the short term, not the long term. To blatantly pull off this maneuver put us on the outlaw list with the NCAA where we get no benefit of the doubt with them. You can go ahead and believe all the fairy tales you wish. You probably believe the only infraction was the clothing discount also. Bob Tyler pushed this myth so hard it became truth to those that wanted to see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil fans. I too was a student a the time. As I said, he had no shame in telling you a lie and all the while knowing you were aware of the lie, daring you to call his hand. I knew football players and what they got.
The report is pretty clear - it was a lot more than the suit discount - https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/m...port?id=101990
3. NCAA Bylaw l-l-(a) [improper recruiting inducements] -- (i) A representative of
the University's athletic interests offered to provide a prospective student-athlete with
spending money any time he needed it if the young man would seriously consider
attending Mississippi State University; (ii) A representative of the University's athletic
interests encouraged a prospective student-athlete to sign a Southeastern Conference
letter-of-intent by offering to provide the young man a cash payment during each
semester of his attendance at the University; (iii) A representative of the University's
athletic interests encouraged a prospective student-athlete to enroll in the University by
offering to provide the young man a cash payment during each semester of his attendance
at the University and, in addition, a cash bonus when he signed a Southeastern
Conference letter-of-intent with the University; (iv) A representative of the University's
athletic interests gave a prospective student-athlete cash on two occasions to spend for his
own personal reasons; (v) A representative of the University's athletic interests gave a
prospective student-athlete cash on two occasions to encourage his enrollment in the
University, and (vi) A prospective student-athlete was given cash by a representative of
the University's athletic interests to encourage his enrollment in the University.

4. NCAA Bylaws l-l-(a) and l-5-(e) [improper recruiting inducements and improper
transportation] -- (i) Numerous prospective student-athletes were given cash for
entertainment expenses directly by assistant football coaches during their official visits to
the University's campus; (ii) Two representatives of the University's athletic interests
provided improper transportation to two prospective student-athletes; (iii) During his
official visit to the University's campus, a prospective student-athlete was entertained offcampus at the expense of the University; (iv) A representative of the University's athletic
interests was provided improper transportation to a prospective student-athlete, and (v)
An assistant football coach provided improper transportation to a prospective studentathlete.