Thread: Add Chris Jones to the list of pro athletes that think the earth is flat

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Lol...I'm not THE expert, but I am AN expert....but I'm flattered.

Let me try to understand your contention here....so you're saying that since C14 dating has only been around since '47, we don't have "data" on how the carbon 14 isotope behaves? And how that relationship matters in regard to organic material post-death? And how both are reflected via the ratio of C14 and C13 in the biosphere and atmosphere?

Because addressing all of this would require a fairly lengthly response....

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy to do it, but it does require some pretty essential understandings of organic chemistry, isotope decay, and what that means regarding the archaeological (and to some extents, the paleontological) record.

Of course human error is a part of this discussion; and an important one; and a ubiquitous one to scientific research. Published papers dealing with these topics are explicit in their methods, theory, rational for choice, etc. By "explicit", I mean they know it's of utmost importance to clarify how rigorously careful their sample-prep, analysis, data-extrapolation, etc. was throughout the whole process. As I mentioned before, chemical analysis, like C14, is expensive, so people want to get it right.

But, regarding the "example" experiments/studies you mentioned....I want to see these studies, their data, how they ran their experiments, Etc. I want to see it all. Because there is a lot of pseudo-science out there...and this arena is one of the main battlefields.... Agree.

Of course, man, and right back at ya.

No need to, I'm not a chemist but I've seen enough science in other areas to know how much error gets repeated. Not to attack your field; that statement applies to the field I work as well. I see it every day. There are lots of papers and procedures produced as science that are not. There are experts out there that do not put full stock into C14 dating after 6000 or so years.

You missed the point I think. I didn't say science doesn't know how it behaves today in 2019 but there is no data over long periods of time documented in different environments which can affect C14 half life. There is not giga file of environment data from 500BC. Does that help? Also to a previous point as the half life continues to reduce the accuracy (also due to different factors from several thousands years ago) the potential error adds up. Just like uncertainty analysis on any data installed in complex calculations, the error gets amplified exponentially.

Again at the end of the day, maybe the old earth interpretation of the Bible is correct but what I have studied, the literal interpretation is the most accepted by Bible scholars smarter than me in that area and I happen to believe that based on what I have read as well. Everything I read in the Bible is total truth and I've found nothing to convince me otherwise. The Bible has also not contradicted anything in science. God created the universe and all in it; He is the creator of science and the laws of physics so I'll leave that up to God to explain to us one day.

I sure hope you and others will have that opportunity down the road. May God be with you.
    Last edited by R2Dawg; 04-08-2019 at 06:55 PM.