Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Mike DeCourcey, doesn't think much of MSU hoops

vCash

So Mike DeCourcey, doesn't think much of MSU hoops

In his first bracket of the season, no State in it and Ole Miss in as a 10 seed.

vCash
    And, who is Mike DeCourcey?
    Never heard of him.

vCash
    Both too low. Should each be around an 8 seed but I don?t know who that is

vCash
    I believe he's with Fox Sports. I saw his "bracket" earlier today and just had to laugh. Jans and crew need to finish out non-conference and have a strong start to conference play.

vCash
    It just shows this guy is a moron. We're 35th in NET without our best player that is expected to be back soon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Both too low. Should each be around an 8 seed but I don?t know who that is
    OM isn't even in the top 60 in net. Despite being 11-0. That's how bad their schedule is.

vCash
    Unfortunately we did it to ourselves with the southern loss. These guys dont watch all our games, they go off of records and analytics. Wont matter once conference play starts if we take care of business

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    Unfortunately we did it to ourselves with the southern loss. These guys dont watch all our games, they go off of records and analytics. Wont matter once conference play starts if we take care of business
    Uhhh...
    Net #35
    Kenpom #31
    RPI #31

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Uhhh...
    Net #35
    Kenpom #31
    RPI #31
    You already posted our net like 3 messages up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    You already posted our net like 3 messages up
    And I added Kenpom and rpi. What rankings are you referencing that pull us down?

vCash
    I watched on om game a week ago......they have a solid middle four but their two BIG MEN are very green....a great power forward like Wiley Peck would eat their lunch......they are undefeated but very much beatable.......
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 12-19-2023 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Mike DeCoursey has been around for 40 years. A sports writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer for most of that time. He focuses strictly on basketball. He used to be a guest on Memphis Sports Talk Radio before Sports Talk Radio was a thing. He has written for SI along with other magazines. He is a basketball junkie!

Like most though, he focuses mostly on the Top programs.

vCash
    We are in on 19 of 23 brackets on http://bracketmatrix.com/

Averaging a #9 seed. Seems about right. 3 of the 4 that don't include us have us in the First 4 Out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Uhhh...
    Net #35
    Kenpom #31
    RPI #31
    Yep. And if DeCourcey doesn't look at that in addition to our best player coming back soon I don't think he's even worth mentioning.

vCash
    Brackets in mid-December are like bowl projections in late September. Maybe we should play some meaningful games first. It’s the stupid media.

Can someone tell me the first four out and last four in for the 2028 NCAA tourney? I need to get a jump on it.

vCash
    Mississippi looks like a team that is going to cruise thru the pre-conference and then finish like 6-12 in the league. Their KenPom and NET are in the 80s..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    In his first bracket of the season, no State in it and Ole Miss in as a 10 seed.
    Either an idiot or got us confused with OM again.

Why is OM such a media hog having done nothing.

vCash
    I don't think much of this team either. We suck at shooting. We love shooting the 3 (I think we're 2nd or 3rd in the conference doing it) and we're 3rd from last making them. Our FG% and FT% is bottom half of the conference. Where was our NET and RPI going into conference play last year when we started 11-0 and that was with the leagues worst 3p% and FT%.

Look at our last several years. We win 9,10,11 games going into conference play and everyone is optimistic. It's the same story every year.

vCash
    Wonder what our net would be without that Southern loss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    I don't think much of this team either. We suck at shooting. We love shooting the 3 (I think we're 2nd or 3rd in the conference doing it) and we're 3rd from last making them. Our FG% and FT% is bottom half of the conference. Where was our NET and RPI going into conference play last year when we started 11-0 and that was with the leagues worst 3p% and FT%.

Look at our last several years. We win 9,10,11 games going into conference play and everyone is optimistic. It's the same story every year.
    One of our big problems on shooting 3-pointers is WHO is shooting them. Two years ago, DJ Jeffries was 3rd on the team in attempts behind Molinar and Shak Moore. Jeffries shot 29.3%. Last year Jeffries led the team in attempts while shooting 27.2%. This year Jeffries is second in attempts while shooting 23.8%. At what point does Jeffries realize he isn't a three-point shooter and should reduce his volume? Also, Cam Matthews is shooting 6 for 49 last season and this season combined (almost 1 attempt per game). If you are shooting 12.2% on three-pointers I don't think you should shoot any at all. And that is possible because Tolu had zero attempts last season and Bell has zero attempts this season.