Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makalyan Pounders

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    The transition from tackle to guard isn?t hard. Percy is more of a guard than tackle. Bell should?ve played over both Lewis/Dolla Bill this past year.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Still need a lot of help. Need another guard. Need a legit TE. Need a couple of receivers. Then need absolutely everything on defense.
    Also agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Signing day is Wednesday. It's basically too late. But yeah, if there are any close calls.
    A lot of fans forget that there is still the traditional NSD in February. We still have plenty of time to fill spots.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Since we will most likely struggle next year anyway, should we throw money at HS guys? My reasoning is it's supposedly cheaper to hold guys than pull em.
    I think we should aim to compete as best as we can. Still plenty of time to fill holes. I still believe that high school guys are going to be the core group of any of our team ultimately in that most of our players are going to be guys we recruit and develop. But at the same time we should still use the portal and JUCO to fill holes.

6 wins will be a good job imo
    I'm holding back predictions until I see how we do in the portal. We certainly need a lot - but we also have time to get it. Our coaching and S&C were pretty bad last year. I think retooling both could make a huge impact for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    We going 4 man front? If so, better get some DL!
    Dinkins, Williams, Deonte, and Donterry is a good 4 to start with. We obviously need more, but to act like we are devoid of talent is a bit of an overreaction as well. Trevion is the closest thing we have had/will have to Big Jeff for a long while from a physical standpoint

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree.

Also agree.

A lot of fans forget that there is still the traditional NSD in February. We still have plenty of time to fill spots.

I think we should aim to compete as best as we can. Still plenty of time to fill holes. I still believe that high school guys are going to be the core group of any of our team ultimately in that most of our players are going to be guys we recruit and develop. But at the same time we should still use the portal and JUCO to fill holes.

I'm holding back predictions until I see how we do in the portal. We certainly need a lot - but we also have time to get it. Our coaching and S&C were pretty bad last year. I think retooling both could make a huge impact for us.
    That was due to Arnett. He cut Tyson Brown’s legs out from under him the day he took over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    That was due to Arnett. He cut Tyson Brown’s legs out from under him the day he took over.
    That's what I heard as well. Plus he was never an issue under Leach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Dinkins, Williams, Deonte, and Donterry is a good 4 to start with. We obviously need more, but to act like we are devoid of talent is a bit of an overreaction as well. Trevion is the closest thing we have had/will have to Big Jeff for a long while from a physical standpoint
    Not saying devoid but far from stacked. Counting a 2 deep plus future injuries, we better get some more that can hopefully make an impact.

vCash
    We need DL guys, especially edge guys. Like 3 of them and two of those need to be expected to win starting jobs. We need a couple of CBs. We need a Safety. We need a couple linebackers with a lot of experience.

We need an accomplished WR and another OT.

vCash
    Defense defense defense!! Especially DL imo
    We definitely could use a playmaker, but I think we just need some bodies. DL was ravaged by injuries this yr

vCash
    Big pickup. We need more but he and Miner are great starts.

vCash
    If he's willing, I'd have him tell his story and publish an article on Hailstate.com of what lane did to him the day before signing day and I'd send a copy to every instate freshman-junior in the state being recruited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    If he's willing, I'd have him tell his story and publish an article on Hailstate.com of what lane did to him the day before signing day and I'd send a copy to every instate freshman-junior in the state being recruited.
    You can?t publish something like that but you can sure share it behind closed doors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We need DL guys, especially edge guys. Like 3 of them and two of those need to be expected to win starting jobs. We need a couple of CBs. We need a Safety. We need a couple linebackers with a lot of experience.

We need an accomplished WR and another OT.
    We have edge guys on the roster now. WR's just need reps and opportunities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    You can?t publish something like that but you can sure share it behind closed doors.
    Why can you not publish it? Feel good story. Kid was committed here, flipped to OM days before signing day with an offer, offer was pulled morning of signing day and nobody would return his calls. Get a quote from his HS coach. Kid makes the best of it and goes to Memphis and excels and now local kid returns home. Basically a hallmark movie.
    Last edited by confucius say; 12-17-2023 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    Why can you not publish it? Feel good story. Kid was committed here, flipped to OM days before signing day with an offer, offer was pulled morning of signing day and nobody would return his calls. Get a quote from his HS coach. Kid makes the best of it and goes to Memphis and excels and now local kid returns home. Basically a hallmark movie.
    Love it. How much bad pub do you think we would have gotten if we had done that?

vCash
    Love it. How much bad pub do you think we would have gotten if we had done that?
    Probably a front page article on the sports section in the Clarion-Ledger.

Flipping guys just to say we flipped them is probably never going to be our M.O. And I'm fine with that- it's a waste of time IMO.

Not sure how much of it is on the Ole Miss coaching staff- it seemed to be worse when Nutt and Freeze were coaching them- and how much is on the player's "handlers".

vCash
    We would have gotten roasted by the national and state media. Even our own fans.

Lane is a good coach but a trash human who has ruined every relationship he's ever had because he's a narcissist. That's just who he is. Very good coach though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Probably a front page article on the sports section in the Clarion-Ledger.

Flipping guys just to say we flipped them is probably never going to be our M.O. And I'm fine with that- it's a waste of time IMO.

Not sure how much of it is on the Ole Miss coaching staff- it seemed to be worse when Nutt and Freeze were coaching them- and how much is on the player's "handlers".
    It was part of the Orgeron manual that freeze took. True story.

vCash
    It was part of the Orgeron manual that freeze took. True story.
    I believe it. "Win the press conference".

vCash
    We would have gotten roasted by the national and state media. Even our own fans.

Lane is a good coach but a trash human who has ruined every relationship he's ever had because he's a narcissist. That's just who he is. Very good coach though.
    Mullen did withdraw a commits offer and we did get roasted by the national and local media

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Mullen did withdraw a commits offer and we did get roasted by the national and local media
    Yeah. That was BS. Especially considering Dan helped the player find a landing spot basically immediately after we pulled his offer.

vCash
    Really like hitting the oline. Where do we turn our attention to in the portal now?

OL - Need 1 more.
    WR - 1 more Outside Receiver and probably a depth piece.
    DL - We truly need 2-3 more that are plus players, but DT seems to be happy and content with the dudes from last year and just adding depth pieces (gross).
    LB - 1-2 depending on those juco guys
    CB - 1-2 more
    S - 1-2 more

So all in all, 9-10 more players. I imagine we a young, multi year QB as well.