Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geoff Collins as DC?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woof View Post
    Selmon & Lebby are attempting to change this narrative. They want a fresh, new, winning mindset to this football program.

We have to spend money to hire big time coaches. Aim higher and stop limiting this football program with this type of thinking and stop with the woe is me mittittippi state attitude.

We don't need losing attitudes & bad juju and bad karma from Arnett & JoMo days.
    Just because you haven’t figured out that hiring Collins would be “aiming higher” doesn’t mean it’s not true.

vCash
    why? how is being out for 7 yrs positive? He might be stale not grinding everyday.

Unless he is an analyst or doing podcast about defenses or somehow keeps his skills sharp & up to date, I don't want someone who has been out of game planning, recruiting for that long.

Also, does he know how to work in the modern era of CFB, transfer portal and NIL experience? Beinig out 7 years is too damn risky of a hire...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Why would Mizzou or Nebraska DC leave to come here?
    Also, how are they better options than Collins?

Collins is a fantastic DC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Didn't Collins start the 1A & 1B nonsense?
    THe 1A & 1B stuff wasn't nonsense. We were about to have a huge dropoff on D the next year based on the starters leaving so they were getting people experience while we could afford it. And we really were more or less that deep outside of Safety.

We had PJ Jones, Kaleb Eulls, Preston Smith, Matt Wells, Jamerson Love, Jay Hughs, and Justin Cox all graduating plus Benardrick McKinney obviously having the option to leave early. I think that was essentially 7 or 8 starters leaving (depending how you want to count Hughs and Market) although obviously you had people like Chris Jones that were basically starters.

I am going off an early depth chart, so I can't remember how it really shook out as far as who was starters, but some of the backups according to the depth chart were Will Redmond, Cedric Jiles, Richie Brown, AJ Jefferson, Nelson Adamas, Desmond Harris and of course Chris Jones. We definitely had a drop off at some positions, but we had lots of backups that would have been a good bit better than our 11th worst starter in most years.

vCash
    I still would like to know what happened against om in 14, good grief that one game cost the DOGS more than losing to Bama in some ways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    I still would like to know what happened against om in 14, good grief that one game cost the DOGS more than losing to Bama in some ways.
    That 2014 OM team were no push-overs. They even had players practice 15 feet jumps from buildings.

vCash
    Mullen had suspended Justin Cox and then Market tore an ACL early in the game.

And every D player kinda let up on that one 90+ yard run by OM when it looked like the runner was hemmed up down inside the OM 5 yd line, and he exploded out of there for a TD. Market being hurt before that didn't help either.

Then Dak didn't have his best game either. And JRob was in Mullen's doghouse too.

vCash
    I think on defense it was largely as simple as losing Justin Cox to him being a dumbass over a girl and then losing Market on the first series. I can't remember if Jay Hughes was healthy that game but I don't think he ever regained SEC speed after his injury and then Kivon Coman and Deontay Evans weren't quite SEC quality safeties going up against an NFL quality TE in Evan Engram.

On offense, they did a lot of slanting and Robinson did too much dancing. We actually did better that game with Shumpert just going straight ahead even though he wasn't nearly as fast or talented.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    THe 1A & 1B stuff wasn't nonsense. We were about to have a huge dropoff on D the next year based on the starters leaving so they were getting people experience while we could afford it. And we really were more or less that deep outside of Safety.

We had PJ Jones, Kaleb Eulls, Preston Smith, Matt Wells, Jamerson Love, Jay Hughs, and Justin Cox all graduating plus Benardrick McKinney obviously having the option to leave early. I think that was essentially 7 or 8 starters leaving (depending how you want to count Hughs and Market) although obviously you had people like Chris Jones that were basically starters.

I am going off an early depth chart, so I can't remember how it really shook out as far as who was starters, but some of the backups according to the depth chart were Will Redmond, Cedric Jiles, Richie Brown, AJ Jefferson, Nelson Adamas, Desmond Harris and of course Chris Jones. We definitely had a drop off at some positions, but we had lots of backups that would have been a good bit better than our 11th worst starter in most years.
    Long explanation but the reality was trash. There was a significant drop-off when the 2nd team got in.
    Last edited by bulldawg28; 11-30-2023 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    It also lead to him "lateral moving" prior to the bowl game where we got demolished by a triple option in the Orange Bowl...

Synjyn Days and Justin Thomas are etched in my brain as they both ran all over us that game!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vindastra View Post
    That 2014 OM team were no push-overs. They even had players practice 15 feet jumps from buildings.
    They were a VERY GOOD team, good enough to make Bama look like a jr high team. But still they made The “DOGS” offense and especially defense look horribly inept......So again what happened to G’s defense???

vCash
    Long explanation but the reality was it garbage. There was a significant drop-off when the 2nd team got in.
    Against LSU that was pretty obvious because Mullen substituted the entire 2nd team all at once ... he admitted that he learned not to try that again and next time they only subbed a few guys at a time
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    The team never recovered from the Bama loss. We squeaked out a win against a terrible Arkansas team. Ole Miss was hurting and Bo Wallace couldn't hardly walk. Should have been an easy win for us. Mullen was coach shopping and he looked completely defeated the week before and at that game. He was rumored to be taking other jobs. It was the perfect storm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Against LSU that was pretty obvious because Mullen substituted the entire 2nd team all at once ... he admitted that he learned not to try that again and next time they only subbed a few guys at a time
    It wasn't Mullen that was the DC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    The team never recovered from the Bama loss. We squeaked out a win against a terrible Arkansas team. Ole Miss was hurting and Bo Wallace couldn't hardly walk. Should have been an easy win for us. Mullen was coach shopping and he looked completely defeated the week before and at that game. He was rumored to be taking other jobs. It was the perfect storm.
    I just remember it was AWFUL!!......the former #1 team in the nation.........and they fell apart and looked like a Goodwill team ......It was embarrassing and also a terrible exit for DM !!!

vCash
    I would prefer Durkin just because of a fresh, new approach.

Collins would just be OK to average. Wasn't impressed with him when he was here last time.

I don't remember our numbers/stats on defense back during his time but I remember they were just OK and average.

Let's aim higher, pay more money and get a legitimate DC like Durkin but only thing is, is Durkin staying at TexAm or is he available? If Durkin is not in the transfer portal, might be OK to go w/Collins or try someone else out there...
    Collins. He was better here than Durkin was at ole miss. But I'd take either.

vCash
    It was Mullen. Second string center snapped the ball over Daks head. We had multiple scrubs in on offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    It was Mullen. Second string center snapped the ball over Daks head. We had multiple scrubs in on offense.
    Gotcha, I'm referring to the defense

vCash
    Mullen admitted it . Saw it for myself in some presser or interview
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think on defense it was largely as simple as losing Justin Cox to him being a dumbass over a girl and then losing Market on the first series. I can't remember if Jay Hughes was healthy that game but I don't think he ever regained SEC speed after his injury and then Kivon Coman and Deontay Evans weren't quite SEC quality safeties going up against an NFL quality TE in Evan Engram.

On offense, they did a lot of slanting and Robinson did too much dancing. We actually did better that game with Shumpert just going straight ahead even though he wasn't nearly as fast or talented.
    Every time Matt Wells went out of the game they threw it to Engram.