Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geoff Collins as DC?

vCash
    FWIW, Collins doesn't have the baggage that Durkin has either.

Also FWIW, I'm the doctor for a former player that played during the early Mullen years. He told me that between Collins and Diaz, Collins was the better DC.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg81 View Post
    Collins hasn?t been a DC since 2016. That?s the only thing that concerns me.
    I think that is a positive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We've sorta gone overboard around here
    That is a big understatement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    I think that is a positive
    why? how is being out for 7 yrs positive? He might be stale not grinding everyday.

Unless he is an analyst or doing podcast about defenses or somehow keeps his skills sharp & up to date, I don't want someone who has been out of game planning, recruiting for that long.

Also, does he know how to work in the modern era of CFB, transfer portal and NIL experience? Beinig out 7 years is too damn risky of a hire...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    That is a big understatement.
    Selmon & Lebby are attempting to change this narrative. They want a fresh, new, winning mindset to this football program.

We have to spend money to hire big time coaches. Aim higher and stop limiting this football program with this type of thinking and stop with the woe is me mittittippi state attitude.

We don't need losing attitudes & bad juju and bad karma from Arnett & JoMo days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    FWIW, Collins doesn't have the baggage that Durkin has either.

Also FWIW, I'm the doctor for a former player that played during the early Mullen years. He told me that between Collins and Diaz, Collins was the better DC.
    Agreed. Diaz was good, but Collins was pretty great. I think most of the bad feelings towards him are the 1A/1B stuff, which usually worked fine and kept our D fresh later into the game and the fact we had the depth for that is a blessing, and the fact that in our BEST. YEAR. EVER. he left before the bowl game for a "lateral move" and we got embarrassed by GT in the Orange.

Too many butt hurt folks on here who act like a coach leaving for a pretty big pay raise is the same as their girlfriend dumping them for a handsome rich jock.

If Arkansas can bring back Petrino, we can bring back juicy Geoff.

Hell, my wife, then girlfriend, got blocked on twitter by him during the orange bowl from the stands because she was cursing him hard with every TD GT scored and she has forgiven him and would gladly welcome him back.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woof View Post
    why? how is being out for 7 yrs positive? He might be stale not grinding everyday.

Unless he is an analyst or doing podcast about defenses or somehow keeps his skills sharp & up to date, I don't want someone who has been out of game planning, recruiting for that long.

Also, does he know how to work in the modern era of CFB, transfer portal and NIL experience? Beinig out 7 years is too damn risky of a hire...
    He was a head coach 6 of those 7 years. It's not like he's been golfing the last 84 months.

vCash
    I think hiring a guy with Geoff's resume is a damn good thing. He has head coaching experience. We need someone that can do something exotic on defense next year as well to create pressure.

vCash
    Durkin was offered yesterday, correct? Now Collins is it?

vCash
    I saw a couple of articles from earlier this season complaining about Durkin as the DC at TAM. Honestly, I don't follow them close enough to even know why they were unhappy with him at that point or how well he ended up doing this year. But with the talent he most likely had in College Station, if the defense underperformed there it would be somewhat concerning. I would still go by his overall track record which I believe is solid but with all things considered I don't see a big difference between Durkin and Collins.

vCash
    Collins was one of the best DCs at making in game adjustments... he's already proven ... his track record is his resume
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash

Been out of coaching for 7 years? Damn! Sure thought he was the HC at GaTech last season...modern era of football change in the last 12 months?

To use a business analogy:

The Team is the parent company

The subsidiaries the parent: Defense, Offense and Special Teams

He ran the one of the subsidiaries pretty well (Defense) and was hired to run a different Team (which included the 3 subs) and experienced how the 3 impacted the Team from a different perch - his perspective grows and he grows as a leader/coach

Now he can take those organizational learnings and coaching growth from being in the top chair and go back and focus on where his strengths were, Defense

So it's ok for a OC to go become a HC and then back to OC but not a DC?
    Don?t bunt, hit tanks!!

vCash

Trolling is hard. It’s harder when you’re wrong most of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    He was a head coach 6 of those 7 years. It's not like he's been golfing the last 84 months.
    You might also think, he now wants to return to his first love - being a DC. He's done the HC thing and it ain't all its cracked up to be. He might come into our DC with hair on fire?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DesotoDog1967 View Post
    Durkin was offered yesterday, correct? Now Collins is it?
    Hadn’t heard that.

vCash
    All I know is there were a bunch of guys that were here while Collins was here that contributed at a high level while wearing the Maroon and White and then went on to have stints in the NFL, some of those still playing and will be hall of famers. Sign me up for that again

vCash
    Selmon & Lebby are attempting to change this narrative. They want a fresh, new, winning mindset to this football program.

We have to spend money to hire big time coaches. Aim higher and stop limiting this football program with this type of thinking and stop with the woe is me mittittippi state attitude.

We don't need losing attitudes & bad juju and bad karma from Arnett & JoMo days.
    Just so you know, the two men you listed in your first sentence are the ones doing the hiring. They don't care who you or I want. They will get who they think will be the best for the situation. They will decide how much money will be spent. I don't think they are going to look here and see if "woof" is ok with their choice. You and your juju will just have to deal with it.

vCash
    Didn't Collins start the 1A & 1B nonsense?

Banned
    vCash
    Is woof aka tater?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Didn't Collins start the 1A & 1B nonsense?
    It was probably just coach speak in an interview to say that we had options and depth on the DL and media/fans made it into something more. We had a top 20 defense that year so he probably wasn't too far off. I believe he did coin "psycho defense" though