Thread: Basketball team fell in a trap tonight

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash

Basketball team fell in a trap tonight

The trap was thinking

hey, we are pretty good!

Never think that. Always grind.

vCash
    Well with Shak back Fort needs to sit. The guy has been cold since the 1st 2 games.

vCash
    I didn't get to watch but it looks like Fort may be a one hit wonder. Maybe Taylor can take up some slack from the outside. We don't need to continually rely on a freshman.

vCash
    I felt we played intimidated. I felt they thought they weren?t good enough to hang with a ex nba player coach and a bunch of players that were playing with a high intensity level

vCash
    the young guards need tolu badly, the veteran guys aren't good enough scores or shooters to carry the load. DJ still shoots about 18% and matthews still can't hit a free shot

vCash
    They played lazy, and it bit them in the butt. They will bounce back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    This. They waited until the last 10 minutes of the game to play with the intensity on D they normally have. Still wasn't HORRIBLE most of the game (especially fighting through every moving pick at the top which wasn't called), good enough to win if they hit shots, but I think it affected their focus and effort on the offensive end, which they still can't afford without a workhouse down low like Tolu. Confident Jans will address and have their undivided attention. Learn, improve and move on.

vCash
    Yep, it was just a low intensity, down game. It happens. If we play like that for 2 or 3 games in a row I'll be concerened but I don't see that happening.

vCash
    plus, piss poor shooting by most everyone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    The trap was thinking

hey, we are pretty good!

Never think that. Always grind.
    I fell into that trap too and have 3 kids with the trap

vCash

Reality can be a crude reminder!

The reality is this team is still an average shooting team on a good night and can be a bad shooting team more than occasionally and when it is, there are very limited ways for this team to win. If we can shoot even 40% and 33% from 3 we will win most of those games. I feel the playing roster and time will shrink going forward and we have to be much more strategic with regards to offense. Need to emphasize more of defense creating offense when those opportunities present and push the floor, especially when Shakeel and Josh are on court together. Long and slow half court possessions are our weakness but we have to acknowledge that theyre going to be nights where our shooting weaknesses raise up and prevent us from winning. I'm afraid its who we are. Matthews and Jeffries need to take fewer 3's too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Well with Shak back Fort needs to sit. The guy has been cold since the 1st 2 games.
    Agreed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TStationDawg View Post
    This. They waited until the last 10 minutes of the game to play with the intensity on D they normally have. Still wasn't HORRIBLE most of the game (especially fighting through every moving pick at the top which wasn't called), good enough to win if they hit shots, but I think it affected their focus and effort on the offensive end, which they still can't afford without a workhouse down low like Tolu. Confident Jans will address and have their undivided attention. Learn, improve and move on.
    Yep that is what I saw too. Kinda going thru the motions until about 10 to play but had too big a hole at that point. Our shooting struggled and GT was hot till we turned up the D in second half.

We got to learn to come to play every night. We'll be OK, Jans will not allow this to continue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadawg63 View Post
    The reality is this team is still an average shooting team on a good night and can be a bad shooting team more than occasionally and when it is, there are very limited ways for this team to win. If we can shoot even 40% and 33% from 3 we will win most of those games. I feel the playing roster and time will shrink going forward and we have to be much more strategic with regards to offense. Need to emphasize more of defense creating offense when those opportunities present and push the floor, especially when Shakeel and Josh are on court together. Long and slow half court possessions are our weakness but we have to acknowledge that theyre going to be nights where our shooting weaknesses raise up and prevent us from winning. I'm afraid its who we are. Matthews and Jeffries need to take fewer 3's too.
    Probem with DJ is he won't. That's just who he is/ Instead of driving to the basket and creating points he just sits there in the corner and jacks them up. Once Tulu gets back Jans is going to have to find JB playing time and maybe he needs to sit DJ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Probem with DJ is he won't. That's just who he is/ Instead of driving to the basket and creating points he just sits there in the corner and jacks them up. Once Tulu gets back Jans is going to have to find JB playing time and maybe he needs to sit DJ.
    This is the one thing that bothers me about Jans. He needs to put an end to DJ's three point shooting and hasn't done it. If this doesn't get fixed, it'll always have the potential to drag us down in games.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Matthews shooting a 3 should never happen. He is 0-fer the season. The best TE on campus is playing the wrong sport
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Just a really bad night with nothing going our way against a team that couldn?t miss. First true road game and we shrunk. We will learn from it.

Not having Tolu finally showed. We can?t score in the paint

vCash
    I don't know if Jans was experimenting with different lineups but Shak and Hubbard didn't start and Shak only played 16 mins. Both were cold early. And our 3 point shooting sucked.