Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know it is early but we are fans so what is floor and ceiling W-L next year

vCash

I know it is early but we are fans so what is floor and ceiling W-L next year

Assuming we get right QB transfer in and some other key players.

I say 6-6 and I still feel good if we look like a team on the rise (09 Mullen) Saying we go 4-0 OC and we can beat Ark and UF at home.

8-4 is ceiling - maybe we steal 2 of OM, UT or TAMU.

No Bama and no LSU.

What yall think?

vCash
    I think you are spot on with 8-4 ceiling. 6-6 (competitive games) would not be a huge disappointment. I do not see us falling short of 6-6. Arnett and Co almost had us there and we had one of the worst offenses in modern day football that I have seen.

vCash
    I agree with top post. 6 wins should be a give me but I think we will get 1 more so I'm saying 7-5 floor and 9-3 ceiling.

vCash
    I think we go 7-5. A couple of those 5 losses are by a touchdown or less. It will be a very entertaining season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post

I say 6-6 and I still feel good if we look like a team on the rise (09 Mullen) Saying we go 4-0 OC and we can beat Ark and UF at home.

No Bama and no LSU.

What yall think?
    3-9, 6-6

vCash
    I think considering the following factors: 1. How we do in the portal because we are losing a ton of experience. 2. How fast we pick up the new offense and defense. 3. How well the staff gels.

Floor 5-7: 4 non-conf. and 1 of UPIG or FL at home.

Ceiling 8-4: 4 non-conf. w/ UPIG, FL and 2 of Ole Miss, aTm or Mizzou.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    I think considering the following factors: 1. How we do in the portal because we are losing a ton of experience. 2. How fast we pick up the new offense and defense. 3. How well the staff gels.

How awesome would it be if we put Pittman and Sunbelt Billy out of a job next season?

vCash

No Bama and no LSU.

What yall think?
    There is no way to give either wo a roster w portal additions. We will have to get numerous really good ones to keep the floor above 4. With that said, I hope we do. But I'll let it play out and see what the roster looks like and go from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDawg601 View Post
    How awesome would it be if we put Pittman and Sunbelt Billy out of a job next season?
    If a first year head coach at Mississippi State beats Pittman and Napier all hell will break loose in those fan bases.

vCash
    really hard to make this call before we see what is added to the roster. We are losing a helluva lot of guys
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    It all depends on what happens in the portal. I'm going to assume we are able to cover most of our holes in the portal until proven otherwise.

With that in mind,

Floor: 6-6
    Ceiling: 9-3

Ceiling would mean we absolutely nailed the portal and had a top 20 offense with top 40ish defense.
    A good portal QB immediately means 6-6 to me. Our defense will be the middle of the pack imo with minimal movement there besides at safety and DL

vCash
    Poll us after Spring practice. Will have a better idea then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post

This is why I think getting the QB from Oklahoma is a big deal. Plug and play, he knows the offense and can help get receivers and linemen on the right page quicker.

vCash
    Anywhere between 2-10 and 6-6. most likely 5-7 again. Better start working on this years academics to get that APR up!!!😳

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    There is no way to give either wo a roster w portal additions. We will have to get numerous really good ones to keep the floor above 4. With that said, I hope we do. But I'll let it play out and see what the roster looks like and go from there.
    This is the right answer. We simply have no idea what the roster will look like next year as of today. We are losing a ton of players off the 2023 team.

If we get the right portal players, 7-5 is possible, but we have a lot of holes to fill.

vCash
    Some of yall are missing the spirit of the OP. This is not a prediction thread. I ain't predicting anything either till I see the roster, etc.

Just assume a few things on roster and look at our schedule. What record do you see?

vCash
    No Bama but we get Georgia and Texas in Texas.

vCash

No Bama and no LSU.

What yall think?
    Just get bowl eligibility and I will be happy. I think Gabriel has a year left of eligibility. Lebby needs to get him in the portal and get him to go to State.

vCash
    The SEC schedule is not helpful:

Arkansas
    Florida
    Missouri
    Texas A&M
    @Georgia
    @Tennessee
    @Texas
    @bears

Not the worst home schedule, Arkansas definitely considered a win. The other 3 are probably toss ups at best, depending on how those teams improve through the portal. The road games will be tough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    really hard to make this call before we see what is added to the roster. We are losing a helluva lot of guys
    I finally agree with C34. See what he said and add

State's Out of Conf games should all be wins with 3 to start the season. After that, there aren't many winnable games with the current roster which doesn't have a starting ... lots of stuff.

As C34 pointed out, we are losing a lot.

Currently, with the assumption we get some in portal, I say 5 wins is my floor and 6 my ceiling until the portal brings something I do not expect.