Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Odom Rumor

vCash

Barry Odom Rumor

I heard a rumor that Odom is really lobbying hard for our job. He's even saying he can get Kendal Briles to be OC.

vCash
    Wouldn't hate it. Can he get Jeff Lebby instead?

vCash
    Interesting....

vCash
    I usually like an offensive guru as head coach, who can get a good DC.

Look at all that we lose on defense after this season

vCash
    I think he would be a solid hire

vCash
    Odom doesn't excite me but IF he could get Briles I'd take that package. I don't see Briles leaving TCU to come here for the same job though. Doesn't make sense.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    I know for a fact that Odom is lobbying for the job. I have no idea if the Briles rumor is true or not.

vCash
    He was 25-25 at Missouri then got fired. He wouldn?t excite me.

vCash
    Initial reaction to Odom is meh. But if he can bring a good OC then it could work.

Banned
    vCash
    I'd rather keep the OC he has. That dude is a star in the making.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I'd rather keep the OC he has. That dude is a star in the making.
    The guy from Texas? What does he run?

vCash
    Do we not have the ability to hire Leipold?

vCash
    I think we are best with an offensive philosophy within the head coach. We are always going to be at least decent on D with our recruiting territory. The offense not so much. We can't afford to be a revolving door of offensive scheme

vCash
    Still a lot to work out with the evaluation variables but we'll start to take a swag with a few:

* His W-L is average, mainly with Missouri. He's had a good year with UNLV at 9-2 but overall W-L nothing impressive.
    * His main recruiting years at Missouri: 2017 #43, 2018 #43, 2019 #38
    * Fired from Missouri after a 6-6 season in 2019
    * Serviceable personality but would not say dynamic

Maybe some of y'all have a feel for his game planning and in-game adjustments, player development and player evaluation. Will have to figure out ways to get at those.

But at a thin cut, seems there are better candidates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    He doesn't have interest back. He can stay there and get paid great and wait for a bigger and better job. And if not he will still be Uber rich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Think everyone feels the answer is yes and he seems worthy of our interest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He doesn't have interest back. He can stay there and get paid great and wait for a bigger and better job. And if not he will still be Uber rich.
    Home, how do we know he does not have interest?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    The guy from Texas? What does he run?
    He calls it the "GoGo Offense", here's the important excerpts from a preseason write up:

A simple way to describe the “Go-Go offense” is it’s an offense marrying the old-school triple-option run games with modern-day spread concepts. But if you let Coach Marion describe it, he would say, “It’s violent and vertical. That’s the most simplistic way that I can put it. Score touchdowns and make big plays.”

The “Go-Go offense” is based out of a two-running back set — 20 or 21 personnel (2 running backs and 0 tight ends or two running backs and one tight end, respectively). Unlike most 20 and 21-personnel teams, Coach Marion’s offense does not use a fullback to block and a halfback to run. Both running backs have the opportunity to block or get the ball.
    Make no mistake about it. Coach Marion’s philosophy is to be a power-run team. They also will utilize RPOs (run/pass option plays) in the short passing game and stretch the defense down the field with a vertical passing game.
    The “Go-Go offense” has three basic principles from an outside view.

1. Play with selflessness
    In the “Go-Go offense,” the star player will not always get the ball. That would defeat the purpose of having two running backs in the backfield. Similar to NBA coaching legend Phil Jackson’s famous “Triangle Offense,” the ball should always go to the open man, while all of his teammates set him up for success in their own way.
    For instance, if the defense is keying in on your running back in the run game, the quarterback has to recognize it and get the ball to another playmaker or take it himself.
    There is only one ball. Whoever ends up with it when the play unfolds, all ten other players must show they want their teammate to succeed as if they had the ball themselves. Football is the ultimate team game. For Coach Marion, teammates, their love for each other, and their love for the game of football have to be a priority number one for every member of the UNLV offense.

2. Play fast
    As the name would suggest, the “Go-Go offense” has to be fast-paced, creating an extra level of chaos for the defense, thus giving the offense another upper hand. By playing fast, Coach Marion is also trying to give his offense more possessions.
    Coach Marion’s former offensive coordinator at Tulsa and current UCF head coach Gus Malzahn incorporates a similar fast-paced scheme. Lincoln Riley, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly, and Lane Kiffin are a few other well-known head coaches who use this strategy. Kelly brought it to the NFL (with Philadelphia and San Francisco) with some success, but it remains a prevalent strategy in college football today.
    “I LOVE Al Davis. The Raiders are my second favorite organization behind the Steelers because I’m all about the vertical attack.” Marion said. “But not just vertical in the standpoint of throwing the deep, but vertical in the way we run the ball downhill. I like violent players because if you’re playing violent, that means you’re playing fast, you’re playing hard, you’re playing aggressive.”
    “So that’s one of the things I always teach or coach. I always think that we play offense with a defensive mentality. So when I say we play violent, it means we aren’t playing passive. I watch offenses sometimes, and they are just so scheme oriented that there is no violence in what they do, there is no aggression, and I don’t think you can have somebody trying to beat your ass on the other side of the ball when you play fineness. That’s not how it works.”

3. Create mismatches with exotic formations
    Giving the defense different formations than they are accustomed to seeing week-in and week-out creates yet another form of confusion for a defense. Creating that potential confusion also causes mismatches. Using different formations yet running the same plays also helps the offense. Instead of learning a multitude of plays to keep defenses guessing, the offense can learn fewer plays and run them out of these “exotic” formations.
    Coach Marion says he can run any running play from his staple shotgun — FAR/NEAR formation, as well as out of the Pistol — stack formation. That is extremely valuable for the sake of not tipping your plays to the defense pre-snap.

TL;DR: Hurry Up Spread Variant with emphasis on 2 halfback (no fullback) that marries up Air Raid "use all skill players" and "run the same plays out of exotic formations" concepts. It's the real reason UNLV has been so successful and is dominating the MWC this year.

I really really REALLY want us to make a push for him as OC. Idk how good he'd be as a HC, but man he's a hell of a play designer and playcaller. Some school is getting him next year and they are going to be quality.
    Last edited by Tater; 11-19-2023 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    Go Go Offense is better than No Go offense we run now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    There are only about 20-25 jobs better than ours. But I get your point.